“love this place but you've got to like sherry”
Review of La Venencia

La Venencia
Ranked #10 of 911 Nightlife in Madrid
Reading
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“love this place but you've got to like sherry”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

luckily I like sherry as thats all they sell but with 6 varieties to choose from everyone should try and find one that they like. the limited tapas helps you make up your mind what to eat too. we always come here for a pit stop whenever we are in Madrid.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Margaret C

Austria
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Enchanting...simple pleasures”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

La Venencia worth a visit! It is one of my TO VISIT place in Madrid, I missed the street a couple of times but did not give up til I found the place and I am so glad that I did not quit. It was like going back in time ( not that I know how it was in the 50s,)people who visited this place and described it as with admiration and satisfaction is an understatement, you have to go there ann experience it yourself IF you like the air of nostalgie, hearing the Madridlenos talk and laugh and watch them enjoy how they chat the afternoon away with pleasure and relaxation. I enjoyed doing these with my glass of sherry, some excellent tapas and olives. The atmosphere is so relaxing and feeling like a being a part of what it was once ( Ernest Hemminway, hanging out there ). We paid Euro5.70 fr the 2 glasses of excellent sherry and the tapas. I thought I heard wrong and I asked again and the man behind the bar said, yep I heard it right. And yes, I forgot one rule NO TIPPING, and I was giving a tip and go declined. No tipping. Wow !! And no picture taking. I am sorry , I had to take a pic so I can share it with you all :)). You have to see the place and enjoy some relaxing moments here.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank IcreamCone
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Lost in time”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I actually walked by this place when i went looking for it. It is easy to miss.

Once i walked in, i was hit with the history of this place, the dusty bottles, the old bar, the furniture, the old posters on the walls..

I ordered a sherry and sat at a table next to the bar. I couldn't help but to think i was lost in time, sitting there.

1 Thank DrLife
London, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Uniquely brilliant”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Apparently a favorite haunt of Hemmingway, this place is a gem. Full of olde world charm without being naff. There is a resident cat, old men in flat caps behind the bar, tipping is frowned upon and delicious fino sherry. There is nothing flashy about it, it is just excellent.

Visited February 2013
Liverpool
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fantastic sherry house”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Absolutely brilliant atmosphere - 5 different sherries and great tapas - and all at extremely reasonable prices ... bit tricky to find but loved every minute ... would definately re-visit if I was ever in Madrid again!

Visited October 2012