“Nice trip to madrid”

Catalonia Las Cortes
Ranked #8 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my family at Las Cortes for four nights in June. Great location, in a walking distance to at least three of the most important attractions in Madrid. The hotel is also very close to Santa Anna square, where the ambiance is great with many restaurants and tapas bars around. We Didn't try breakfast because we found that it is too expensive. Superior room is spacious and easily accommodate family of three or four persons. Front desk personnel were friendly and helpful. Definitely would go back.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Paul-hadd
DireccionLasCortes, Gerente at Catalonia Las Cortes, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Paul

I am glad you liked the Hotel , your room and our staff.
We hope to attend you again in the future

Best Regards

Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,615)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Catalonia is in the old part Madrid Las Letras. very charming and quaint.
We found the location to be excellent close to all the restaurants and late night tapas bars museums .
The nearest Metro stop was only five minutes walk.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ManScotty

Dear Customer

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay .
I look forward to welcoming you to our Hotel in the future

Best Regards

Reviewed June 9, 2013

The hotel is located in a great location right in "Old Madrid." The streets are smaller, which adds a nice charm. The area is in a safe location. There are many people walking around the streets late at night. Plaza de Santa Ana is less than a block away, where you will find lots of restaurants and many people gathering throughout the day. The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk in either direction to Plaza de Mayor or Plaza de Neptuno (Starbucks, Prado Museum).

My family stayed in a Superior Room. The staff placed a removable bed in the room, and there was still plenty of space to navigate around the room. The service at the front desk was very good. They were friendly and very helpful with food recommendations, answering questions/concerns we had, and reserving a taxi for us. The bathroom was nice and clean, but they do not give you shampoo or conditioner, only bath gel. I really liked the turn down service they had at night. It was relaxing coming back to the room to see the beds already prepared.

The breakfast buffet was 19 euro per person, so we did not try it out. There are many cafes and food options within walking distance, so save your money and go there. The floors in the bedroom were a bit dirty, but nothing too serious to complain about. My biggest problem was the WIFI. It is free, but I could only connect to the network less than half the time I stayed there. I informed the front desk and they told me they would reset their router, but I still had difficulty connecting most of the time. They do not have any electrical adapters for outlets if you are traveling from the US, so bring one with you.

*Pros*
- Good location (Close to everything)
- Nice house keeping
- Friendly and informative front desk
- Clean bathrooms
- Turn down service included
- Many food options in the area

*Cons*
- No shampoo or conditioner
- WIFI is not reliable
- No electrical adapter for outlets provided

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Andrew N

Dear Customer

Thank you for your review of our Hotel. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at Catalonia Las Cortes.May i thank you for your kind remarks wich are very much appreciated
I hope that we can be ofservice to you again in the future

Kind regards

Reviewed June 4, 2013

A well situated 18th century hotel, steps away from the plaza santa ana and some great tapas restaurants. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful in their restaurant and tapas recommendations, usurping the outdated Time-Out Guide On Madrid. I have to say, most if not all the restaurant recommendations on Time-Out - were pretty much timed out (closed for 2 years) and mostly international restaurants that seem to overlook entirely, the local cuisine. Word of advice, do not take restaurant recommendations from a British guide - there's a major cultural difference there in what's gourmet. The hotel itself could use some tasteful decor in the common areas e.g. reduce the rampant display of plastic florals in the common areas - and the plastic roman columns around the elevator. The rooms themselves are very tastefully decorated - with vintage furniture and marble bathrooms. The view of the distant cathedral peak were beautiful. This was the most spatial hotel we have been in throughout France, Spain and Italy.

Room Tip: We had a nice back corner room on the 4th floor. Room 403.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Customer

Thank you so much for taking your time and write a few lines about the Hotel Catalonia Las Cortes.
We are proud to hear that you think of the hotel most of his recent trip special.
We are happy to to have you back with us.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I checked in for three nights at this hotel as a solo traveller. I reserved a superior room and it was spacious, airy and had windows/balcony facing two directions across the Madrid rooftops. As other reviewers mentioned, the "Las Lettras" neighborhood is the best location, quaint, old and close to the three museums. The room had two beds and both a bathtub and huge, walk-in shower. The floor was hardwood without carpeting. The staff was pleasant and helpful, although when I checked in, I requested an extra night's stay and was informed that the hotel was fully booked but the reception offered to reserve a local hotel nearby in their chain, which I accepted. Strangely, when I later checked on-line, there were plenty of rooms in Las Cortes still available.

The hotel advertises a "coffee-maker" in the room which there is not, but instead a hot water kettle. An assortment of teas and coffees are provided but all are decaffeinated. No one at the hotel could explain why normal tea and coffee were not offered. They had none in stock and this was true of the second Catalonia hotel I stayed in when I was forced to move from Las Cortes.

The wifi signal was not strong enough to function in my room, and though the staff did reset the router twice, it was not useable for me, although it did work fine while sitting on the sofa in the hallway outside the room.

The pillows are quite thin, maybe two inches, and did not provide enough comfort for me to sleep well.

As there is carpeting in the rooms or the hallways, the sound is quite loud when people walk through the hall. Housekeeping begins its vacuuming at 9:00 and it was difficult to sleep later than that.

On vacation I need more comfort and better amenities than those provided, so I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank usbeauty

Dear Customer

In relation to the comments that we do, tell you that we are currently changing the whole hotel wifi system. Also we are changing all hotel pillows for a fatter.
In regard to coffee, the hotel has kettles for tea and coffee soluble in Premium and Superior rooms. The Suite and Junior Suite rooms, Nespresso machines feature a variety of coffees.
It would be a pleasure for us to give us a new opportunity to stay with us.

Attentively

Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Catalonia Las Cortes is located on Calle del Prado, one of the most pleasant streets  in the old Center of Madrid, between the Prado museum and the Puerta del Sol. In other words, you can walk just about everywhere you would want to go in 20 minutes or less. The hotel is located in a several hundred year old building and has preserved some of the beautiful interior details, particularly the main stairway. We had a very large room, with a huge and very comfortable bed, several armchairs, a sofa, a desk and a large dresser -- all the furniture was antique -- and plenty of storage space. The bathroom was large and modern with plenty of hot water and good water pressure. The staff was very friendly, with excellent English, but very encouraging of my rudimentary attempts at Spanish. We did not try the hotel's breakfast buffet, which was EUR 19 per person, but there are many cafés within a very short walk of the hotel. We definitely would stay there again if we return to Madrid.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thomas P

Dear Thomas

I would like to thank you for your recent review of our Hotel. I am glad that everything was to your satisfaction and you enjoyed your stay.
As a valued customer i look forward to welcoming you to our Hotel in the future

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The location is great with a short walk to all the main attractions. Not maybe exactly "in the middle of it", but in my view that a positive and not a negative as it's a bit quieter that way. The service is/was friendly, but a tad too "manana" (later, don't hurry). More specifically efficiency and fast service does not seem to be key, but chatting along and doing things their own speed.

The atmosphere and rooms are probably the key best thing with this hotel, if you fancy "old-style" and "romantic". Nice decorations and style, high ceilings - you mention it. And the cleanliness and equipment are well enough.

So to my normal ultimate question. Would I go there again? Yes, absolutely and hopefully with my wife this time.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the first floors towards Calle Prado, as it be noisy with people coming fro...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Stefan

Dear Customer

Thank you very much for taking your time and write.
We note all opinions that has made us
We hope to return with his wife
Yours sincerely