“Close to everything you need.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal El Pilar

Hostal El Pilar
Ranked #65 of 280 Madrid B&B and Inns
Maribor, Slovenia
“Close to everything you need.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

It is a very good hostal, with nice staff, clean rooms and bathrooms, elevator, TV free wi-fi connection (which is kind of weird at times but it works in general),... also, the hostal is so close to Puerta del Sol, you practically are there in less than a minute. It is also a very quiet hostal, you rarely see anyone, It has a 24h reception and they have a camera downstairs, so I felt safe there as well. I would defenetly recommend it. You only sleep there after all, so a small room shouldn't be a problem.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room,turned on the street.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katja4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

its only 1 minute to walk to center (puerta del sol) and also metro. when you enter the room you can smell soap so its really clean.
only the problem is about staff..one of them speaks english so its difficult to communicate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were a little worried about staying in such a small hotel and with only 2 stars (I think that's what is has) but we had no need to be. The room was a good size, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was dinky but useable and clean, and the airco was excellent!

I've given it 4 stars because it is what it says it is, and it does it very well. It loses a star because it's very noisy. Now this wasn't an issue for us because we can sleep anywhere and after a day of sightseeing it was even easier but if you are a light sleeper then you do not want to be sleeping on the street side of the hotel - the bar below shuts well after 3 and I think it was open again by 10 the next day, so you have been warned.

The staff are friendly and helpful but they didn't speak much english. Oh and I almost forgot, the towels were not good, they were beautifully clean but very old and almost threadbare - so only 2 small gripes.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

First impressions arriving here in the early evening were uh-oh I hope this is going to be ok. In fact it was more than ok. The staff were friendly and put up with me trying out my terrible Spanish. My friend and I had booked a twin room for a long weekend. It was a good size, lots of storage and a good shower. The room was cleaned / tidied every day and we got clean towels. We didn't have a window to the street but it really wasn't a problem for a weekend break. There was a bit of a smell of old smoke in the room and you could hear the front door sometimes but for the money it was an excellent stay - we thought the location was perfect too - near to the main sights and metro (although we didn't need to use it all weekend), and great tapas bars on the doorstep. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2011

I stayed here with 3 friends at the very beginning of March during Carnavale. The hotel was cozy and clean, and the staff was extremely helpful- recommending areas to visit and helping us book a cab to the airport since we had to leave early in the morning. There weren't a lot of frills, but we weren't there to stay in a hostal, we were there to see Madrid.

We slept well, and we were right in the heart of everything- the hostal is just off of the Sol metro stop and a 5 minute walk from the Opera. It had everything we needed, and even as young women we felt comfortable walking around there. If you're looking for a good, cheap place to stay with a great location- this is it!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

The hostal was almost in the metro station, and in a great part of the city. The room was clean, with heating and air conditioning, the bathroom was wonderful. My bed, however, was a little unconfortable, with a "hole" in the matress. We could hear people from the other room, a little annoying. The staff was ok, no good, no bad.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

This was a great hostal in a great location. The family who run it are very friendly and helpful, and I appreciated their patience with me trying out my Spanish. I was in Madrid to take a 1-week Spanish course and this was a great base. It's very convenient to the Sol metro line and although the room is very small, it was great to have the desk and free wifi for doing my homework every night. I often stay in youth hostels, so this was a nice little upgrade for me.

I do agree with other reviewers that the noise is an issue. I had noisy neighbors in an adjacent room one night (to be fair, it was World Cup finals week) and I could clearly hear every buzz for the door to be opened and every phone call made to reception. The ringer on that phone is LOUD. I managed to sleep quite well regardless, but I think I was generally exhausted from my 5 hours of Spanish class and the 100+ degree heat. I was grateful for the AC.

I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo