Hostal Oriente
$369
$197
Only YOU Hotels
  • Restaurant
All reviewsopera metro stationroyal palaceexcellent locationplaza mayorusd nightsingle roomcalle arenalmadrid operaopera housefirst floorbasic accommodationdouble paned windowslight sleepergreat for people watchingkey cardsmall fridgewalls are thin
Reviewed August 5, 2010

With our room having a private bathroom and a TV, it almost seemed like we were staying at a hotel. Our room and bathroom were cleaned daily, which was nice but not necessary. The hostal is located steps away from the Opera Metro station, so getting around was extremely cheap and convenient (especially since the metro goes to the airport as well). There was also a desktop computer with free internet access in the common area available for guests to use. We only dealt with the staff either early in the morning or late at night, and the one man we dealt with only spoke Spanish, so it was a little difficult communicating with him (but not impossible). The one negative aspect of our stay was the air conditioning; as soon as we turned it on, a strong unpleasant odor (likely stale tobacco) filled the room. However, we got used to this pretty quickly and it didn't bother us for long. Otherwise, the rooms were great value for the price we paid!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank cloud925
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I chose Hostal Oriente because of other reviews on tripadvisor, and I feel like I made a good choice. We stayed for four nights at the end of July, beginning of August, during Madrid's hot summer, and the AC functioned very well. Our room, although *quite* small, was clean and well-maintained. Towels and sheets were changed daily (although I would have liked the option to skip that, simply because of the waste involved). You do have to put your hotel key in to activate the electricity, which means that AC does not stay on during the day -- but it's a matter of minutes, once you return, to get comfortably cool again. (I say this not really for myself, but there are others who have little tolerance for less-than-frigid rooms when it's hot). The staff were incredibly helpful with suggestions for where to eat and how to get around. I speak Spanish, so I have no idea how good their English skills are. The best thing about this hotel is the location: steps away from the Opera metro station, a short walk to the Royal Palace in one direction and a short walk to Puerta del Sol in the other. If the temps are a bit cooler than they were for us in the summer, I'd say you could even walk to the Prado in about 20-25 mins. Even if it is hot, the metro system in Madrid is wonderfully efficient, easy to use, and cheap (1 euro trip, no apparent limit on transfers), so you could duck underground to save some time and/or strength. The area where the hotel is in is safe, if incredibly busy -- there are lots of people around, all the time. The hotel has free wifi (you need to ask for the password at the desk), as well as a couple of public desktops for guests to use. The walls are a bit thin, so if you have neighbors, you'll hear them. Most people are out and about all day though, so this wasn't a problems for us. All in all, if you are looking for a good base for exploring Madrid, this is a good one. It's a good value, in a great location. Just don't expect a big room!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pimlicogirl
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I must say that I had an incredible time at Hostal Oriente. The best thing of this Hostal is obviously the location: just two steps from the Opera Station, in one of the main streets of Madrid's center (Calle Arenal), less than five minute walking from Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor and the Royal Palace. Good souvenirs' stores on the surroundings and lots of restaurants and bars that gave me plenty of options to eat anytime I wanted.
All in all, I had a great time at Hostal Oriente. As I was traveling alone, I can't complain about the room's space.
Finally, the only problem is the air conditioner, that could be a little stronger - but that wasn't really a problem, once I didn't have any trouble to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Would like to second most of the postive responses here. This place is great value for money. Top location, super clean, modern interior and very good price. Staff may not speak much english (I spoke spanish) and the walls are thin so you might hear people on the floor or other rooms (I heard no noise from the streets).

All in all highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Situated just opposite the "Opera" metro station and in a perfect location for the city centre and sites.

Look out for the entrance - It is like an entrance to a block of flats and not a proper hotel entrance - just a doorway with the name of the hostal at first floor level. The reception is at first floor level with rooms above - a rather odd arrangement but the rooms are well appointed and comfortable enough. Can be noisy at night as so central so best to keep the windows shut - not a disadvantage as you can have the air conditioning on.

No breakfast but that is a good thing as you can get a good cheap breakfast nearby - e.g. go down near the Puerta del Sol.

Can leave your luggage in the hotel for the day if you have checked out

Recommended for a weekend stay

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple