“Iconic Hotel”
Review of Hostal Oriente

Hostal Oriente
Ranked #105 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed at this place last month and the experience surpassed my expectations. Everything well worth the price I paid. The quality of food, services and accommodation we get here is remarkable. I was on a business trip, so have not spent much time at this place, but I think the property has a lot to explore and is very beautiful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We picked this hostal because it was very close to the Opera where we were going to see the magnificent Edita Gruberova and because it was cheap and had mostly good reviews on TripAdvisor.

My friend and I both had single rooms that were very much alike except they gave me (the woman) a room that was very pink while my friend got a room which was mostly white - funny!
Apart from that the rooms were similar: very small with a small but comfortable bed, a table and a chair and a telephone which came in handy when we wanted to discuss our plans.
There is a small tv - we didn't try it.
There is WiFi - did try *that* and it was reasonably fast and free.

The bathroom has a toilet, a sink and a shower that worked well but if you're not a thin person it may be uncomfortable.
Me, at 5.4" and 130 pounds could just move around.
I wonder how a big person would be able to do that.

Because we had been warned by other reviewers that the noise from the street could be disturbing we asked for rooms overlooking the court.
The view wasn't much but there was no street noise.

When we were there the building was being renovated so there was a big blue veil covering the front except for the door - that looked a bit depressing.

Staff was nice and friendly and spoke enough English to understand our needs.

Overall: very basic room, great location, good price.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JDm452
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here countless times as a frequent traveller to Madrid and never had a single problem. While I will admit the cliontel and location can be a little loud in the early hours and mid morning it's nothing a pair of cheap ear plugs can't solve - bring some if you are a light sleeper ! Personally i always request a 'quiet room' on my booking form and they put me on an inner court yard which is lovely and quiet. I have stayed over looking the Main Street and yes it's noisy but you are in a capital city. You can hear other guests coming in and out which is a common occurance in hotels and can be abit annoying but its nothing I've ever had a major problem with. Again incase it would bother you - earplugs !

The staff don't speak much English but are friendly and try to help. There is free wifi which is unlimited. A hot and cold drinks machine on the 2nd floor and secure access to the hostal with a key card.

The hostal is spotless all wooden floors and tiled walls in the bathroom. Housekeeping come everyday no matter what time you come in and out. The showers are great.

I've stayed in summer and the air con is adequate and also in winter where I am very warm.

For an ensuite room in the centre of Madrid I don't really see what there is to complain about, the main thing is the price , at around 40 euros a night it's fantastic and serves a purpose ! As long as its good value for money I will continue to stay !

Yes though it is a tad noisy though espeshially at the weekdn so perhaps not for very light sleepers of families at this time.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Hotchocandbics
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My daughter and I chose the Oriente at the last minute based on reviews here and were very pleased with the location, cleanliness, and safety of this hostel. It is a bit noisy through the walls but overall great for the price. We will be back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Eatgdfd
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed for 4 Night, the location of the Hostal is in the best place to visit the Historical Madrid...in the Heart of City center, OK it's a Hostal not a Hotel, its basic but very clean, the clean room everyday, rooms are small but the price is very reasonable comparing to location, I really had a great night, and it's noisy outside, but if you close the windows and lock it, you wont hear anything...but if like to sleep with open windows, you will feel you are sleeping on the street...

i highly recommend it for budget traveler, it's what exactly you look for..and metro is just 2 step away, Internet is working fine and free...stuff only one guy knows English, the rest you can use your Signal Language but they are nice and helpful once they understand you.

if I come to Madrid again, I will definitly stay there again

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Munir O
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I travelled to Madrid on my own for the first time this year and I stayed at the Hostal Oriente for 7 nights from 5 September. I picked this hostal because of all the helpful information I found on Tripadvisor, therefore, here I am to give something back.

I agree with all the positive remarks made by "Isenators". The price was very good.The whole place was very clean and smelt very nice. The shower was always hot. There is also a supermarket below ground level at a great department store called El Cortes de Ingles which is a very short walk from Hostal Oriente as you head towards Sol metro station. I didn't have a laptop so it was very convenient to have a computer I could use in the guests' lounge area.

All travellers have different needs. I was travelling in a fairly sad state of mind after the loss of 2 members of my family within 4 weeks of each other, so although the hotel had kindly chosen a room for me at the back, I needed to see and hear people. So I asked reception to be moved to a room at the front of the hostal and when a room became available, I did. Personally, the noise from the street did not stop me from sleeping because I was very tired by the end of the day, but of course, everyone is different.

The fact that the staff didn't speak English (one of the lovely cleaning ladies actually does speak English), was a bonus for me because I have been learning Spanish and it gave me a chance to practise it. In fact, I think they were all very patient with my lack of fluency.

If you are looking for a hotel with a gym or a restaurant, this is not for you. Otherwise, I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone. I will certainly try to get a room there the next time I am in Madrid.

Room Tip: If you do not want to hear the noise from the streets, make sure you ask for rooms at the back. If...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Sabrina09
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at the Hostale Oriente... I was originally there for 5 days in November 2011 and liked it enough to return recently. I found the hotel to be an excellent value for the price. On both occasions, I had a double room overlooking the plaza (which I requested). The room was pleasant and scrupulously clean, the beds and pillows quite comfortable. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I found the water to be hot and the water pressure quite plentiful. The tub/shower was very small and the towels are not 4-star, but they were adequate. At 55€ a night, I wasn't expected The Ritz. The location is perfect - very near to everything, but not in the middle of the busiest areas, such as Peurta del Sol or Gran Via.

The place is a bit noisy, as walls are thin and there is also noise from the street from late-night partyers. But I think that is pretty normal for Madrid and I didn't find it too much of a bother.

There is a very reasonably priced place for breakfast just across the street called Viena Caprellanes. They offer a fantastic cafe con leche and crispy pan tostado with marmalade and butter for 2.14€ (in addition to some awesome looking pastries for about the same price). It was filled with locals every morning and the waitress remembered the fact that I preferred 'leche caliente'on the second day. I found it very charming and authentic place and a great way to start the day.

If you are looking for a comfortable, well-situated and reasonably priced stay in Madrid I definitely recommend Hostale Oriente.

Room Tip: The interior, single rooms are very small and a bit dark. The double rooms facing the plaza and Cal...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo