“Form over function?”

Silken Puerta America
Ranked #124 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I was very excited about my stay in this hotel – I’m a big sci-fi fan and looked forward to the 8th floor. That was the first small disappointment for me – being unable to book a room on a floor before the day of my stay. Surely the hotel could have a booking system that allows the specification of a particular floor, especially since they make such a song and dance about how each one is so individual?

I had a look at each of the lobbies on all 13 floors and have to say they were all stunning. 8th and the 4th (the one that’s like a metal labyrinth) were my favourites. Made for some great photos.

I was overwhelmed by the aesthetic of the room when I first entered – a truly amazing look. After a day or two though I started to notice the odd annoying thing. For example the bath is dangerous. This may sound silly, but the floor of the bath is bevelled and there are no walls higher than shin height, so anyone who likes something to lean on whilst getting in and out of the shower may be on slightly shaky ground here.

Another few minor gripes: the fridge is tiny, the aircon is pretty noisy and don’t expect to get a good long sleep in the morning as the doors are very thin and you can hear everything on the hard floored corridors outside – especially the chatty/shouty staff. Also something that really annoyed me was the lifts – I’m a smoker so had to use them pretty frequently (no smoking at all in the hotel) and having to swipe my room card every time I pressed the button started to get annoying – especially as it sometime took 3 attempts. I’m not sure how well this system would work in an emergency.

Also, the location was a bit of a chore. It is very close to a metro, but anywhere you want to go will be at least 2 changes away. At first it doesn’t seem to make much difference, but soon I found myself wishing for the location of my previous hotel in the Sol area. Oh and the bar is extortionate – think I paid around 9 euro for a beer – they really seem to exploit their captive audience.

My main annoyance though was the internet access. For such a stylish and modern hotel I would have expected a good wi-fi service (which is advertised). But alas it wasn’t. We could only connect ONE DEVICE. I hooked up the laptop but when I tried to connect with the iphone I was told that I was exceeding my quota. I could live with that, but even on the laptop the speeds were super slow. I’m talking 56k modem speeds. The internet without broadband it seemed. I mentioned this to reception and they gave me an Ethernet cable (charging for the privilege) and guess what? The holes that were supposed to hold the ports in my room were just holes. A member of staff had to come up and take apart the bed and pull wires from the console to get access to the ports. As I type this review there are cables on display and the facade has bits ripped off.

So yes – a truly beautiful hotel. But spending a bit of time on functional aspects in addition to the unique design would have helped. I notice the standard rates are around 800-1200 euro per night (we paid 120 through a secondary site) – definitely not worth that. Probably worth the 120 though, at least for a couple of nights. We stayed in another city centre hotel for the main part of our Madrid visit and that’s an approach I’d recommend to friends.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,798)

Reviewed February 13, 2011

Stayed here last weekend on the 9th floor, as others have pointed out each floor was designed by a different famous designer.

The location is a little out of the way however once you get the hang of the metro and realise the distances aren't that huge you can walk places within reason.

Would recommend if your going to have breakfast book it as part of your package as it is a little expensive but well worth the money and sets you up for the rest of the day.

Very much a 5* hotel and the staff are always very friendly and helpful. They speak English and Spanish so language is not a problem. The bell boys were always good for a quick joke.

The swimming pool and gym are nice but the pool is very small although well worth a visit just to relax.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PWindsor
Reviewed February 8, 2011

very nice hotel. service is impecable, the location is a bit far away from city center, but the amenities are worth a stay. would definitely recommend to go.... every floor is a different wonder, including the cark parking
the room is extremely confortable.
it's a bit expensive, but you can expect it from a luxury 5* hotel. I suggest to reserve highly in advance to save money (up to 70% off)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2011

This is a really cool design hotel, and not for the average traveler. Each floor has a different designer and theme. You get to pick your rooms via an Ipad during check in. We had the room on the 8th floor which is really white and minimal while being curvy. The bed had a great view over Madrid and it was super fun. The shower/bath is more in the middle of the room which when two people shower it really steams up the entire room. We had room service which was ok, but nothing special, we were starved so it worked. It's very close to the metro which is super cheap and convenient so it's not so bad to get around. There didn't seem to be so much historical stuff around the hotel. Make sure you also go to the roof bar and walk on the glass floor which is around the elevators. The 4th floor is super cool too we didn't have time to check every floor but it would have been cool to check it out. The free in-room internet is also just surfing via web, if you want to do VPN or email you have to buy a pass.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2010

We had a meeting at this hotel, which is new and features international designer themes on each floor. The hotel is on a major express way but noise was not a problem.

The hotel is well appointed, the staff are very good and the food is good. Some of the design things are quirky such as my Japanese provincial inspired shower that means it squirts water on the floor if you open the shower door to get in - requires you to hurdle into the shower from the wood bath. The beds were also not so comfortable. Breakfast buffet and catered food was of the highest standard. Meeting facilities top notch.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Very good hotel, modern and different to all the properties visited so far.
The location could be better but you have the underground station a few steps away and it takes you more or less straight to the city centre.
The hotel is very different to all the oter hotels in Europe starting from the entrance.
Check In experience was very good being able to check the rooms and visit the different floors with an iPad. (Very good considering that in this hotel each floor has been designed by a famous architect or artist and therefore all the floors are completely different).
Rooms are just amazing, elegant, alternative, modern..... great views of the mountains surrounding Madrid and all the amenities needed.
Prices very reasonable starting from the minibar which normally is very expensive everywhere you go.
Large bathrooms and top quality amenities including suede sleepers.
Mattresses and linen were just amazing, soft and comfortable.
The bar downstairs is very good for a refreshing drink after the whole day shopping and walking around (Champagne Mojito is just awesome!)
Service was always very good, with the bellboy explaining everytghing in the room and taking care of everything. Very kind staff at the reception and the bar.
Good restaurant with great choice of breakfast. Maybe the hot disses not being recently cooked are the negative point.
For the rest, this hotel is definitely one of the best hotels to stay at when visiting Madrid.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2010

This very modern hotel is a little off the beaten path but well worth the stay. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and the concierge was kind enough to get me excellent tickets to a Real Madrid game. It is well worth the stay!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple