“Beautiful!”

Ranked #52 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Baltimore
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

My first two nights in Madrid were spent in a tiny, windowless room in an expensive hotel near the center of the city, but when I came back at the end of my trip, my son helped me find this hotel in his neighborhood. What a difference! For about half the price, I had a lovely spacious room with a spectacular view of the city skyline all the way to the mountains. The hotel has a gorgeous marble reception area and a lovely atrium with palm trees in the middle. Wifi was free, but the signal strenth on the 6th floor wasn't great. This is a predominantly immigrant neighborhood, so there weren't a lot of tourists staying at this hotel. Although it's not in a prime location, the hotel is right at the Quatro Caminos stop on the #1 Metro line, which takes you straight to Plaza del Sol and all the attractions in the city center. The Metro in Madrid is very easy to use and very well-policed, so if I go back I would have no hesitation about staying here again and using the Metro to get around. I should probably mention that although this hotel seemed brand new and sparkling, I got the feeling that it wasn't the very best construction, so in a few years it might not be holding up so well, but for now, it's great.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

I am not a particularly light sleeper, but couldn't sleep until the person next door had finished a very, very long phone call. You can hear every movement of a drawer being pulled out, a shoe hitting the floor, the loo roll holder squeaking.
I checked in, went to my room for a shower & went down to reception at 19.50 or just before & asked where the restaurant was. "Closed" was the answer, at 20.00. I tried to point out the time, but reception & the man behind the bar just said "closed at 20.00." I guess they wanted you in & out by that time. A 4 star hotel? No, 3 at a push. The piece of soap in the bathroom is almost transparent it's so thin. When I return, I will definately try somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Nashville, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

I chose this hotel because we needed to be close by a church that was in this area and there didn't seem to be many great options. Like one reviewer said, it didn't feel like a 4-star hotel, but it was clean and reasonably priced. Make sure if you don't smoke that you reserve a non-smoking room, because we were assigned to a smoking room and had to go back and get the room changed. The staff was helpful and friendly, which is good because I had so many questions and requests while I was there that I was glad that they weren't annoyed with me. The decor throughout the hotel looks a bit dated, but the bathrooms seem to be remodeled. The balcony windows, once shut, block out all of the traffic noise--they were incredibly well insulated. The same unfortunately cannot be said of the walls, because you can hear your neighbors quite well when they come stumbling in after dinner at 1 AM.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

Not bad at all, friendly staff, breakfast good. I had however difficulties in operating the aircondioning, which was much too complicated . I did not succeed getting it running and slept with open windows. Consequently I lot of street-noises.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — airconditioning
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank flyingdutchman100
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2008

10. Not so friendly staff
9. No Gym
8. No Restaurant
7. Breakfast is so so
6. They charge extra to use the Safety Deposit Box in the room. That's an abomination!!!
5. Airconditioning/Heater did not work properly.
4. Room was muggy (very strange) everytime we walked in the room smelled like someone took a hot shower and left the bathroom door open
3. Although the hotel is conveniently located near a subway station, there is no decent restaurant or establishment nearby
2. No soundproof. You can hear conversations in the hallway, cars in the street and noises next door.
1. Very Expensive. Not a 4-star hotel in my opinion and definitely not worth 143 euros per night.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The room was booked and paid in full through an online broker, but yet the hotel demanded to have my card and swiped it in their machine. That was very strange considering the fact that I've booked hotels through the same online broker and the other hotels I stayed at never asked for my credit card. Fortunately I was not charged twice for the stay.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank FrequentFlyer19
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2007

I had a short stay at the Metropolitano with my wife. The location is pretty good, less than a minute's walk from Cuatro Caminos metro station and so handy for Barajas Airport (change at Nuevos Ministerios). The neighbourhood was fairly quiet, but central Madrid was only a few minutes away on the metro. The hotel bar is OK, but Las Madrilenas just down the street was much better and enjoyable for watching Real Madrid on the TV. The decor is very good, giving an expensive feel for moderate prices. Breakfasts were pretty good although these would probably be more fun at a cafe somewhere. The highlights were the staff: very friendly and informative.

The only improvement I would like would be better sound-proofing between rooms; the noise of other guests preparing for an early departure was disturbing.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2007

The Metropolitano was a wonderful place to stay. My son was attending the University nearby for a semester so it was very conveniently located for us. However, the metro is just one block away so it was easy to get anywhere in the city. Our room was spotless and beautiful! The breakfast buffet (included) was great! It included both hot and cold selections. We spent a couple days in Barcelona and did not want to take our big suitcases. They stored them for us and when we returned we were able to get into a room at 10 a.m. Receptionists spoke English and there was no problem communicating. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again in a second.

Stayed March 2007