“Very Good Value!”

Ranked #144 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Mt. Prospect, IL
“Very Good Value!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Hotel rooms in Madrid can be quite expensive. We found the Catalonia Goya reasonable with free wifi and breakfast included in our rate.
The pros:
clean
excellent location
excellent front desk staff
excellent housekeeping
bathrobes
good choice at breakfast: eggs, bacon, breads, ham, cheese, cereal, 3 juices, coffee, pastries, fruit (there were other items as well - anyone should be able to be satisfied.)

Room for improvement:
Tissues in room are in a little sealed plastic bag. I would prefer a box, easier to get out, and more plentiful.
At breakfast there is a staff member who will make you an omelette or makes pancakes. We came down one morning and the pancakes were already made, but cold, and getting stale. We asked for more and he said he didn't have any batter mixed. Hmm, we didn't make a fuss, it just seemed weird. Churros also are premade and cold. It's my opinion that if you can't make them at the time you wish to eat them, it's a wasted effort.

Would I stay here again? Maybe. For two people, it get's a bit tight because when one person is working at the desk, another cannot walk to that side of the room freely. Mattress are Very firm, but that seems to be the standard throughout Europe. However, for the money, I think it's a great place to stay and definitely very good value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vbnet
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Good afternoon. We really appreciate your comments so detailed and will continue working in this direction to continue to satisfy our customers and employees.

In relation to the pancakes we will not have this problem again because from today Monday we cook instantly in the show cooking. As for churros, I do not know cooking like the pros, but we´ll send your proposal to the Food and Beverage department to study possible solutions.

We will study how we can keep warm or cook at the time.

Thank you very much again. Take this opportunity to send my cordial greetings.

Santiago A.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was just there overnight but the room was spacious and the bathroom excellent. Because I was leaving early, before breakfast, they packed me a breakfast box. However, there was no spoon for the yoghurt and security at the airport confiscated it - the officer rushed off with it as if it were about to explode! I have stayed here in the past but this time found it friendlier and the room (601) was nicer than my previous one. I had a bath, watched BBC News 24 and felt very relaxed. Hope to stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank Helene Christin... P
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Good afternoon. First, we welcome you to stay with us for more days and not left with the feeling of having lost something of this wonderful and welcoming city.

In any case, you will be welcome again in our hotel and we hope that this third stay with us you perceive even better sensations than in your two previous visits, as we continue to improve our facilities daily and we have an enviable service.

Meanwhile, take the opportunity to send you my warmest greetings.

Alexandria
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Went there for a couple of days in Madrid.
Very friendly front desk.
All speak good english will help you too with your map to mark nice places to visit.
Near metro station and bus station.
In a street with lots of shopping options, places to have a nice breakfast or dinner.
Near Retiro park walking like 1 km only.
I enjoyed my room very much clean simple and have a view of a nice church and the main street but with no noise with the double glass insulation system.
I recommend for couple days stay in Madrid very much.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Good afternoon. I have no words to thank you these lines as well have described our hotel and its surroundings.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Good:
Room is clean
People at the desk very helpful and polite
Room facing the patio very quiet
Breakfast is good, quite some choice

Not soo good
The still water available for breakfast, I wish it wasn't some filtered tap water but the water which corresponds to the bottle label. You can't really filter the chlorine taste completely out....
The service at the Bar was below par, and slow, at least in those moments we tried to get some drinks.

Somehow, the offer doesn't correspond to 4 stars standard I am used to, eg. there is no pool.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Arotimo
Good afternoon. First let me thank you for the words in relation to the cleaning of the room, friendly reception staff, the tranquility of the inner room and the breakfast choice.

On the other hand, I can assure you that the hotel always serves bottled water in all catering services. In fact, the taste of water in Madrid has an absolutely different taste than Monte Pinos brand we use.

You also could have mentioned to the waitress that fact and with all our kindness could have opened a bottle for you and you would have found my words.

In any case, I'm glad you had a pleasant stay and we hope to have you back as soon as possible.

Receive my warm greetings.

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Arrived to hotel late a Wednesday and was met by friendly and serviceminded staff that provided a quick and efficient check in.
Room was spacious nice standard and good location pretty central in Madrid. Large nice room with high quality on towels etc that made things different from i.e. a 3 star location.
Minor descripencies from perferfect service that was adress was taken into account and sorted out very quickly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Good afternoon. We appreciate your comments about the location, friendly staff, large room size and quality on towels and other items.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again and take the opportunity to send my warmest greetings.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stay at Catalonia Centro in Goya every time I go to Madrid, so this past Saturday was my 15th time at least...its very very basic hotel but the location is good. Far from its 4 stars.
I checked in at 18h30 in the evening, I left my bag and went out...in the meantime I found an old friend of mine and I decided to stay at her house so when I came back to the hotel I checked out and I asked if they could kindly do a gesture and charge me 50% rather than full price. I know the cancellation policy was 24h before but the hotel was not fully booked and I had booked my room on Thursday evening so no waiting list. anyway the lady at reception did not even want to consider or call her manager and advised me to call back the following day, which I did and a a very professionally trained and not caring at all voice, told me it was impossible. Thank you and good bye I said! considering Spain is going through a very rough patch, me being Spanish but leaving in London, I feel outraged but this lack of flexibility and service. I WAS a regular and loyal customer but unfortunately there is NO WAY I WILL BE GOING BACK to this hotel...shame the managers there did not see further than their daily money intake!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank amaia a
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Good morning. It's not just receive a bad review because you decided not to stay at the hotel after check-in and expect to get back part of the amount. You can not renegotiate a price after agreeing a deal and punish us by a decision in which we have not taken part.

In any case, I regret the inconvenience, but I firmly believe that we are accused for no reason. If you miss a flight for a similar reason would have criticized for it?

Best regards,

Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I am a sales & marketing director for a major Panama based tour operator. I visit Madrid at least twice a year and have been staying at the Goya Catalonia for several years.

What I love about the property is the location, the Barrio Salamanca and it's environs, are top notch in my book for experiencing Madrid. Everyting that one wants to see is within 10-15 minutes travel time, on foot, taxi or metro.

The rooms at the hotel are spotless, well appointed and efficient, especially the bathrooms.

Brakfast is superb, although I have noticed that lately, no "chorizos" are featured, which I miss!

The staff is always helpful and attentive, including Mariano who is one of their most accommodating.

When I am at the Catalonia Goya, I feel like I am at home, not another tourist visiting Spain.

If you want to experience Madrid like a "local", shopping, dining and rubbing elbows with the "castizos", I recommend this hotel.

Ray R

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of Calle Goya are awesome, it's always alive with traffic and people going...