“0 Flexibility and very disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catalonia Goya

Catalonia Goya
Ranked #122 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
London, United Kingdom
“0 Flexibility and very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stay at Catalonia Centro in Goya every time I go to Madrid, so this past Saturday was my 15th time at least...its very very basic hotel but the location is good. Far from its 4 stars.
I checked in at 18h30 in the evening, I left my bag and went out...in the meantime I found an old friend of mine and I decided to stay at her house so when I came back to the hotel I checked out and I asked if they could kindly do a gesture and charge me 50% rather than full price. I know the cancellation policy was 24h before but the hotel was not fully booked and I had booked my room on Thursday evening so no waiting list. anyway the lady at reception did not even want to consider or call her manager and advised me to call back the following day, which I did and a a very professionally trained and not caring at all voice, told me it was impossible. Thank you and good bye I said! considering Spain is going through a very rough patch, me being Spanish but leaving in London, I feel outraged but this lack of flexibility and service. I WAS a regular and loyal customer but unfortunately there is NO WAY I WILL BE GOING BACK to this hotel...shame the managers there did not see further than their daily money intake!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank amaia a
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Good morning. It's not just receive a bad review because you decided not to stay at the hotel after check-in and expect to get back part of the amount. You can not renegotiate a price after agreeing a deal and punish us by a decision in which we have not taken part.

In any case, I regret the inconvenience, but I firmly believe that we are accused for no reason. If you miss a flight for a similar reason would have criticized for it?

Best regards,

Santiago A.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I am a sales & marketing director for a major Panama based tour operator. I visit Madrid at least twice a year and have been staying at the Goya Catalonia for several years.

What I love about the property is the location, the Barrio Salamanca and it's environs, are top notch in my book for experiencing Madrid. Everyting that one wants to see is within 10-15 minutes travel time, on foot, taxi or metro.

The rooms at the hotel are spotless, well appointed and efficient, especially the bathrooms.

Brakfast is superb, although I have noticed that lately, no "chorizos" are featured, which I miss!

The staff is always helpful and attentive, including Mariano who is one of their most accommodating.

When I am at the Catalonia Goya, I feel like I am at home, not another tourist visiting Spain.

If you want to experience Madrid like a "local", shopping, dining and rubbing elbows with the "castizos", I recommend this hotel.

Ray R

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of Calle Goya are awesome, it's always alive with traffic and people going...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Good morning from Madrid. It´s always a pleasure to read comments as yours. I hope to welcome you to the hotel in a few months.

Meanwhile, send you my best regards.

brisbane, australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Catalonia Goya was excellent value, great service at the front desk (especially Robert who helped with travel plan changes). Room was comfortable, good size, clean, well appointed and TV had some English news channels. Internet was free and worked well (wifi). I stay ONLY at hotels that don't charge for internet, because I believe the internet should be treated like water and be freely available, clean and easy to access). Hotel location was excellent for access to everything downtown. Car parking was not available at the hotel, paid Euro 31.50 at a nearby public parking station the for the first day, but found free street parking (but only between 9pm and 9 am) opposite the hotel for the second day. Hotel provides a 30 minute loading bay at the front door to visitors travelling by car.

Room Tip: This hotel was reasonable value for inner-city, and Europe four star. Room was quite thanks to doubl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Good afternoon. First of all I would like to thank you how detailed you described your stay, which helps to choose many guests from a multitude of housing options in our wonderful city.

I think you described so accurately that there is nothing more I can add. Again, we appreciate your comments and take this opportunity to send you our best regards

Belleville, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Found this place based on the TripAdvisor reviews. We were not disappointed, Close enough to all the major attractions, clean, affordable and the staff speak fine English. Free WiFi a bonus and much appreciated, Rooms good size and clean and quiet. Close to the Parque del Buen Retiro for a morning run, the Rodilla down half a block has A-1 cafe and croissants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FrancisButtworth
Good afternoon, Mr. Buttworth. We appreciate your comments about the location, cleanliness, multilingual staff, quiet and adequate room size

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again and take the opportunity to send my warmest greetings.

Warlingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was near our daughter's flat (she is staying in Madrid for a year during university). The rooms were clean, powerful showers, comfortable. We requested two rooms next to each other and that's what we were given.
We had a small problem with the sink not draining properly which we mentioned once and was fixed immediately. The people above us seemed to be moving furniture (or at least dragging their chairs) in the early hours of the morning but this is Madrid and people go to bed late!
We didn't avail ourselves of the breakfast but it was on special offer at 10 Euros per person. We went down and picked up coffee from the breakfast and that was less than 3 Euros per person.

Room Tip: There is a life - I would choose a higher floor. We couldn't see much different between the sup...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Good afternoon. We appreciate your comments and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again, taking advantage of your daughter lives nearby.

I do not miss the opportunity to send you my warmest greetings.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

A lovely hotel in the best district in town! This is plum in the fashion district of Salamanca in Madrid. All of the great shops and restaurants surround this hotel all around for several tens of blocks. The room is excellent with well appointed bathroom! Comes with plush robes/slippers too. And we also had a small balcony overlooking the rooftops of surrounding buildings..the view was not spectacular, but honestly who spends much time in hotels anyway?
We generally just tend to use it for sleeping and parking our bags and maybe for a short while in the morning before heading out for our adventures!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Art N
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Good morning. Thank you very much for your nice comments about the hotel and its surroundings.

In reference to the entrance to the hotel is actually a narrow entrance, but the building was declared a Monumental Interest, including the entrance, and can not be modified.

Fortunately this is only the entrance and the rest of the hotel has extensive facilities.

Thank you very much again and see you soon.

Receive my best regards.

Detroit
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here as part of a Globus tour. There is not much of a lobby (just the entrance hallway), but there is a bar 1/2 flight of stairs up (or small elevator) for waiting or lounging. The font desk staff was very helpful and spoke excellent english. We arrived early morning (international arrival flight), and they made an effort to give us a room as soon as possible. We only had to wait until 11 am for a room. They did offer to hold our luggage if we wanted to head out into the city. They were also pleasant about giving us a map and offering some suggestions of where to go and the best way to get there (short cab ride, metro, walk, etc).

The room was spacious and had an extra couch (fold out bed that might be used for a triple booking). The bath was clean and spacious as well. There was lots of room for luggage, and a door separating the bedroom from the entrance hallway. The bathroom was off the entrance hallway as well. So we were well insulated from noise. My only complaint about the rooms is that the beds were a bit to firm for my preference (heard similar comments from others in the tour). There were extra blankets and pillows for the room (may have been intended for the extra fold out bed?!)

Breakfast was good; it even had some fresh cooked meat & egg options. Lots of pastries, meats, cheese, yogurt, bread, cereals, fruit, etc to choose from.

There are multiple elevators that service different floors. I think the even # floors had 2 larger elevators, and the odd # floors had a single smaller elevator. We never had to wait for another elevator because they were too full.

The hotel is near the high end stores shopping area. It seemed upscale and in a clean area. There were some casual restaurants/tapas bars nearby. Since we arrived on the weekend, it was only a quick $5E cab ride to most any of the museums or other attractions in the area. Coming back in the late afternoon would have only been about $7E if our cab hadn't gotten lost. it is a bit far from the main tourist area, but not by much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Good afternoon. First of all, thank you very much for rating our hotel on Tripadvisor. It is unfortunate that having written such good reviews, score was 6 out of 10. But in any case appreciate your kind words and everything has been to your liking.

Take this opportunity to send my warmest greetings.