“Good quality for the price and location”
Review of Catalonia Goya

Catalonia Goya
Ranked #131 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Barcelona, Spain
“Good quality for the price and location”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

This hotel, right next to the Velazquez metro, is very good quality for the price. It is in the centre of the best shopping district, and very easy to get to from both Atocha AVE station and the airport. The buildings are two pretty, old city houses, and the rooms and bathrooms are well decorated, though mine had a couple of scratches on one of the paintings. The breakfast is fair, though in a basement. Staff are friendly and helpful and there is free wifi throughout the hotel..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Good morning, Mr. Blynam. Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel. We hope to have the chance to welcome you again.

Best regards,

Santiago A.
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Reviewed February 14, 2012

This hotel is located outside the citycenter, in a much nicer neighbourhood, with all the perks of of a citycenter hotel but much more relaxed and less "touristy". A nice 15-20 min walk to Puerto del sol.

Room Tip: Get a room viewing the beautiful church across the road!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie B
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, February 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your nice comments. I hope to see you again at the hotel. Meanwhile, I send you my best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Unfortunately this is an old, sloppy run down hotel in a good location. It really is in desperate need of a renovation. The staff are friendly but useless and don't know the area ...restaurant recommendations were either "I don't know" or across town. I was given a first floor room on the main street and told that it would be quiet..this is a major street in Madrid fortunately I know the city and asked for a higher room. The beds are equivalent to sleeping on the floor...never wear out but not really much use. You can do much much better....

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 10, 2011

This hotel was not included in our original plan. We had to come to Madrid 1 day earlier to the embassy because my sister's passport was stolen 2 days before leaving Spain. So we arrived to the hotel before the check-in time and needed to leave our luggages as to catch up with the embassy working hours.

We specifically asked them to take our luggages to their storage room for safety since we were very terrified by a lot of stolen attempts in Barcelona a day before. We had to ask 3 times!!! It took them half an hour to respond to our request (which we and the Americans are their only morning guests). So the manager (a dark hair woman) told us to bring our luggage to the storage room by OURSELVES!!! While she asked another employee to take luggages of the American guests to the storage room.

Again, when we came back from the embassy, we had to take the luggages from the storage room by ourselves!!! It is a self-service hotel. The people at the tiny check-in counter were never nice to us, always with attitudes. My work function is in an international business and I have been educated in the US for more than 5 years, but they did not understand what I was saying in ENGLISH!!! We can't figure out why they treated us this way, except that we are different!!!

Can you call it ''DISCRIMINATION''? Asian should stay away from this hotel.

Room Tip: get better room somewhere else if you are Asian
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Taan_Suphan
Santiago_A_G_, Gerente at Catalonia Goya, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Good morning, Mr. Suphan. First of all, I want you to know that I fully understand that your situation on arrival at the hotel was not the best, after suffering several robberies in Barcelona. Certainly, this is not the best way to enjoy your holidays and this experience so negative does not help keep good memories of your stay in our country.

On the other hand, I apologize for the lack of sensitivity on our part if we have failed to understand your unpleasant situation. Just wanted to tell you that we maintain a fluid relationship with Asian and American tour operators and companies, with also some of us keep a very close family ties.

Again I beg your pardon for the inconveniences caused.

Take this opportunity to send you my cordial greetings.

Mr. Santiago Arredondo. Manager
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I stayed at this hotel last year with my teenage sister and her friend. She had won a trip with Disney Channel to see the Jonas Brothers at the nearby concert hall. We stayed in 2 seperate rooms. Both rooms were very spacious and clean. There is only one small reception area which can sometimes make the entrance area of the hotel a bit crowded. Breakfast was really good in the morning. A plus is definitely that the hotel is so close to the subway. There are a number of clothing stores and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
IRAN
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Do It Yourself Hotel !! from arrival till departure this hotel offers no significant service. No Lobby , No one to take care of your luggage , I asked the reception to call a taxi for me the answer was " YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF ! THERE ARE TAXI IN THE STREET !! " really ???? I didn't knew that there could be taxi in any street !!!!! all the receptionists are not well trained in order to deal with guests (guest ?! I don't feel like !!) I don't know why they were angry most of the time ,may be there is something wrong with their salary !! but I'm sure that there's something wrong with the management.
Rooms are clean but thin walls will cause you trouble specially early in the morning when you can hear every single footstep so loud !
you have to pay 8 Euro for SAFE BOX plus 20 Euro extra deposit !!!!
breakfast is average .
the only good thing was the location that's all.
The hotel does not worth the rate they charged NOT recommended at ALL.

read the previous review carefully .

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank mehrdadnb
Toronto
Reviewed October 21, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from Madrid where we stayed for the duration of a conference. I picked this hotel due to its location and in fact the location was a positive aspect. Salamanca/Retiro is a nice neighbourhood to be staying at.
The hotel IS NOT GEARED TOWARDS BIZ TRAVELLERS. THERE IS NO IRON in the entire hotel because someone sometime decided that Irons are fire hazards only for this hotel!!!
There is an outside laundry service that you have to pay for and you need at least half a day lead time. SO if you get to the hotel on a sunday or a national holiday and you need an iron to press your shirt for tomorrow morning's meeting you are on your own. On top of that if you speak to one of the receptionists (or as he called himself the reception manager) ISRAEL you will be insulted for not knowing, you will pointed at, yelled at and all that jazz. We, like most of you people, are global business travellers and we have never been insulted by anyone at any hotel to this level. I was about to physically hit the guy when he brought his face in front of my husband's and stared him in the eyes!!! if it wasn't for our colleagues staying at the same hotel I would have not spared a moment to leave this place.
As many travellers advise for madrid, it is best to use the safe to store your passport and money rather than logging them along to the streets. There is a safe in your room however you have to pay 8 euros plus tax per day to get the key to it and you have to pay 20 some euros cash deposit to get the key.
There are so many hidden charges for the shear use of facilities and our experience with the front desk (namely this Israel) makes me say I will definitely not go back and do not advise this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business