“Great place to stay”

and 1 more site!
Cat's Hostel
Ranked #15 of 420 Specialty Lodging in Madrid
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Great atmosphere, loads of activities and good wifi. The bar sells drinks really cheap and everyone is very friendly. Noisy at night if you want an early one, but hey, you're in Madrid right? The courtyard area is really nice and the location of the hostel is perfect.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Originally I booked a two bed private room, but silly me - it was for the wrong night. The staff was very helpful in switching it for me, and although the two bed private's were all taken for the night I would be there, they switched me to a four bed room.

We arrived early (8 a.m.) and they let us check into the room early and nap before we explored Madrid for the day. We really appreciated that since we had taken an overnight bus from Barcelona to Madrid and were exhausted.

The room was great, apart from my friend being a little afraid of the top bunk since there was no railing. But the sheets were clean, the room was clean and we couldn't ask for much else.

The one problem we had was the shower - my friend said you had to hold the shower handle down to get any water, and once you let go you had maybe 10 seconds before the water automatically shut off.

It's definitely a party hostel - everyone was playing beer pong in the bar when we got back to the hostel that night, and a bar crawl starts at 1 a.m. I had another friend who stayed here a month before I did and she had an amazing time on the bar crawl. Discos in Madrid are pretty expensive (Kapitol is $20 on the weekends for entry and one free drink) but with the hostel you pay something like $12 and get admission to a few bars and a club and get a free drink or shot at each one. Expect noise whenever people get back drunk - a fight happened outside our room.

Wifi not great from second floor, but there's a common area downstairs.

Staff is very friendly! Helped us with our train ticket back home and printed it for us.

Room Tip: I prefer privates, so I'm not sure how the dorms are.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We arrived at 'Estacion Sur Autobuses' and were able to catch a bus (on the street just outside the terminal, i think bus 102? for 1.50 euro) to Atocha. It was a roughly 15 minute walk up Calle de Atocha to get to Cats Hostel. It was really simple to just rock up and find our way here.

Warning: Dont stay here if you want sleep.
This place is extremely noisy until the early, early hours of the morning, and the only brief period of peace is when everyone leaves for the pubcrawl at 11. On the flip side, if you (like us) have to catch a bus at 4am for the airport (google Plaza de Cibeles airport bus) it is really busy on the streets and a pretty safe walk.

Cant complain about hostel facilities. Staff were average.

Room Tip: Avoid groundfloor dorms, NOISY!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

location is decent but there are tons of hostels in the area. I had a 10 person room and my bed was on the wall of the bar which is great unless you have a flight to catch early. Music was cranked well past 12-1 am. Every toilet was clogged upon my arrival, showers were decent. Staff was fine all I really asked for was a map...personally (if youve read this far) book a hostel nearby, come to the bar at cats to meet other travelers without dealing with the chaos yourself.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank steve g
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Went with a big group and loved to location and the vibe, the lounge is also very cool. A great place to go with friends and have a good time but please only stay here if you r up for partying and are not planning on having early nights and stuff otherwise it might be frustrating. Also ask for the rooms on top floor so you won't have to deal with noise issues. I had a great time but I knew what I was in for. Toilets were clean. Its got a student vibe to it so dont come expecting to find a Hilton standard at a hostel price. Location was great.

Room Tip: Top Floor rooms please
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hostel had lots of activities for people to do, like free walking tours and bar crawls. I really enjoyed the free walking tour and got to meet people in the hostel. The planned activities made it a lot easier to meet and talk to people. It was nice that they have a bar in the hostel because even if you don't do the organized activities, you can meet people there over cheap (good) drinks (have the sangria). I thought it was pretty affordable for all of the extra services/activities/fun they provided.

The only negative was that the bathrooms weren't kept up very well and it was very far away from my room. It was also kind of noisy in general.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I had an awesome time. I met at least 4 people that were staying in other hostels and they actually decided to hang out over at Cat's. This place is great for partying and meeting people. The common area is really comfy which is a key for hanging out with fellow backpackers between adventures. Very centrally located and near train stations. Next time in Madrid, I'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo