“Nice hostel”

Ranked #24 of 386 Specialty Lodging in Madrid
Toronto, Canada
“Nice hostel”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Clean rooms, comfortable beds and big and clean bathrooms. What else do you need in a hostel? The only thing I didn't like was that the rooms (or at least the one I stayed in) didn't have wifi signal, you need to go to the central patio to be able to use it. Everything else was great.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the central patio if you want better wifi signal
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

First thing to note... the rooms don't have outdoor windows!!

Initially I thought this would be a really special hostel. The indoor Islamic atrium is quite beautiful and the location is pretty good. However, it's completely let down on pretty much every other front.

The staff weren't friendly at all. They clearly don't care and don't make any effort to hide it. The rooms are clean but clinical and don't have outdoor windows. So you never know what time of day it is. I woke up to the sound of people talking and assumed it must be at least 9am. Then I looked at the time and saw it was 5am. I felt trapped in some horrible world with no night or day. Pretty unpleasant. The room has an indoor window looking in on the indoor atrium. People sit outside your window and make noise. There's no privacy. The bathrooms are large clinical communal changing rooms and not very nice.

The atrium itself isn't sociable at all. People sit around it looking miserable whilst weird elevator music plays in the background. The wifi never worked and the computers they have available are in a dark dingy basement they call the bar.

I was meant to stay here for 4 nights. After 2 nights, I checked out and went to another hostel two blocks away and was much happier.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Maxmax_o
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights this summer after checking it out online, seemed it was going to be an ok place, view was changed however. I'm going to list the negatives - dirty bed, hadn't been cleaned or changed since previous,
About 1.5ft between bunks,
One socket in room of 12 bunks,
Faulty door lock,
Lack of utensils at breakfast, (plastic fork and napkin for toast),
Strong damp smelling basement bar,
Poor wifi signal anywhere but the reception,
Toilet cubicals, you had to sit sideways on the toilet unless you were a small child,
Dozens of flies throughout the shower room.

I have travelled all over Europe and always stayed in hostels, this one is close to being worst on the list.
Overall a bad experience.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Samtheplumber
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

For being the hostel given "Top Choice" in Lonely Planet's 'Europe on a Shoestring' guide, I definitely expected more. If you are staying at this hostel and have a room overlooking the street, don't expect to get a good nights sleep. Guests staying at the hostel tend to gather outside the building to drink, smoke and basically scream at the top of their lungs at all hours of the night, even on a Sunday we were awake until around 2am with an early start the next day. It is a very cool layout inside the hostel and a good chilled atmosphere but I was disappointed that the hostel allows this and doesn't have any kind of noise code or street conduct. Staff were friendly and it was clean... the showers don't have a temperature control though and were set very hot. Generally not overly impressed but it is still one of the better hostels I've stayed in.

• Stayed August 2012
Hays, Kansas, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The rooms were very dirty, not sure if the linen was even changed. The staff was not very helpful and did not have current information about cultural activities going on in Madrid. People staying at this hostel are loud and obnoxious. However, the building is beautiful and is centrally located.

Room Tip: Read reviews carefully before choosing a hostel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Cat's Hostel is a great party hostel in a perfect location central to touristy Madrid. The reason I checked out a night early was simply because they control the rooms airconditioning from reception and decided to turn ours on at 2am. I woke up freezing. It was a cool night and we certainly didn't need the aircon on. When I mentioned this the next morning she simply told me to come to reception and asked for it to be turned off. So instead of just getting out of bed and hitting a button I'd have to get dressed, go downstairs, get it changed then go through a battle to get back into my room cause the door locks are dodgy and wake up my dorm. No thanks. I asked for an upgrade to my own room so I can ask for no aircon and all they had would cost me 54 euro no discount for changing. I found an ensuite private newly renovated room down the road for 45 instead.

• Stayed July 2012
Reviewed June 12, 2012

When we entered the hostel we were greeted by Wioleta at reception, a young, fun and enthusiastic girl! We got there early (9am) and asked if our bags could be held, instead we were told our room was ready and we could go straight in as it wasn't busy on that particular day! We were quite excited as we were very tired after a long bus trip. We then asked Wioleta about Madrid and she proceeded to tell us about Madrid and gave us a tourist map which she in detail filled out all the hot spots to go to! We were so impressed and made our stay in Madrid so much nicer! We did the pub craw on one night too which was fun but the guys who organised it weren't as fun as the cats hostel staff! There was also a young guy on reception who told us about this amazing cheap Mexican take away place only a few mins walk! He deserves a mention too because he was quite friendly and that Mexican was amazing!!

• Stayed June 2012