“Wouldn't bother, find somewhere else”
Review of Cat's Hostel

and 1 more site!
Cat's Hostel
Ranked #16 of 423 Specialty Lodging in Madrid
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights this summer after checking it out online, seemed it was going to be an ok place, view was changed however. I'm going to list the negatives - dirty bed, hadn't been cleaned or changed since previous,
About 1.5ft between bunks,
One socket in room of 12 bunks,
Faulty door lock,
Lack of utensils at breakfast, (plastic fork and napkin for toast),
Strong damp smelling basement bar,
Poor wifi signal anywhere but the reception,
Toilet cubicals, you had to sit sideways on the toilet unless you were a small child,
Dozens of flies throughout the shower room.

I have travelled all over Europe and always stayed in hostels, this one is close to being worst on the list.
Overall a bad experience.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Samtheplumber
Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed August 16, 2012

For being the hostel given "Top Choice" in Lonely Planet's 'Europe on a Shoestring' guide, I definitely expected more. If you are staying at this hostel and have a room overlooking the street, don't expect to get a good nights sleep. Guests staying at the hostel tend to gather outside the building to drink, smoke and basically scream at the top of their lungs at all hours of the night, even on a Sunday we were awake until around 2am with an early start the next day. It is a very cool layout inside the hostel and a good chilled atmosphere but I was disappointed that the hostel allows this and doesn't have any kind of noise code or street conduct. Staff were friendly and it was clean... the showers don't have a temperature control though and were set very hot. Generally not overly impressed but it is still one of the better hostels I've stayed in.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The rooms were very dirty, not sure if the linen was even changed. The staff was not very helpful and did not have current information about cultural activities going on in Madrid. People staying at this hostel are loud and obnoxious. However, the building is beautiful and is centrally located.

Room Tip: Read reviews carefully before choosing a hostel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Cat's Hostel is a great party hostel in a perfect location central to touristy Madrid. The reason I checked out a night early was simply because they control the rooms airconditioning from reception and decided to turn ours on at 2am. I woke up freezing. It was a cool night and we certainly didn't need the aircon on. When I mentioned this the next morning she simply told me to come to reception and asked for it to be turned off. So instead of just getting out of bed and hitting a button I'd have to get dressed, go downstairs, get it changed then go through a battle to get back into my room cause the door locks are dodgy and wake up my dorm. No thanks. I asked for an upgrade to my own room so I can ask for no aircon and all they had would cost me 54 euro no discount for changing. I found an ensuite private newly renovated room down the road for 45 instead.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 12, 2012

When we entered the hostel we were greeted by Wioleta at reception, a young, fun and enthusiastic girl! We got there early (9am) and asked if our bags could be held, instead we were told our room was ready and we could go straight in as it wasn't busy on that particular day! We were quite excited as we were very tired after a long bus trip. We then asked Wioleta about Madrid and she proceeded to tell us about Madrid and gave us a tourist map which she in detail filled out all the hot spots to go to! We were so impressed and made our stay in Madrid so much nicer! We did the pub craw on one night too which was fun but the guys who organised it weren't as fun as the cats hostel staff! There was also a young guy on reception who told us about this amazing cheap Mexican take away place only a few mins walk! He deserves a mention too because he was quite friendly and that Mexican was amazing!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My 4 night stay started out with a bunch of small aggravations about the hostel, and my last night was by far the worst I have experienced in all of my travels. The only good things I have to say about this place is that it is central, and that the cleaning staff do a decent job of cleaning up after the disasters the guests leave behind (“party hostel” means lots of vomit). First problem was the key – the doors are incredibly difficult to open. They have a weird bracelet lock system, and I was never able to get into my room on the first try. Would never want to do that drunk. The second problem I encountered was the lack of information at the hostel. This is the first hostel I have stayed at where I wasn’t offered a map when checking in, and there is literally no information about what to do in Madrid outside of the tours/pub crawls the hostel offers. The only advertisements within the hostel are for hostels in other places – not helpful.
Staff seemed okay. They helped when asked, but I wasn’t shown around the hostel or given any sort of explanation about how the place worked. The third problem is the wifi. It is free, but in the common rooms there are no outlets, meaning if you need to get online but your appliance is dead, you have to go to the bar area, which is always loud and filled with obnoxious people. The fourth problem concerns the bathroom. I can handle smallness, but I can’t handle showers that don’t stay on for longer than 15 seconds. You have no temperature control (it’s just a button), and you have to turn the shower head on over and over, which is very annoying.

What is perhaps the biggest issue is the room. There is one light, and because the hostel allows people to check in at any time, people are coming in/leaving at all hours, turning the very bright light on whenever they do so. I was on the top bunk, so I got a face full of light from 9 pm until 3 am. It’s not at all practical. When I arrived, I tried to be respectful and got ready in the dark, but apparently I am the only person who does this, because everyone else in this 14 person room turned the lights on and made noise whenever they pleased. Most of the time these people were drunk, and I heard multiple homophobic and racial slurs…not a friendly atmosphere.

My last night was horrible. The girls in my room kept the light on from 9 pm to 1 am, and to make it even better, decided it would be a good idea to smoke weed in the room. I had a really early flight and was trying to sleep, but they didn’t care at all. I understand this is a party hostel, and if you want to smoke when you party that’s fine – but at least have the respect to do it outside of the room. My stuff and the rest of the room smelled of marijuana so badly the next day. After they were done smoking and finally went to bed, another couple checked into the room around 2 am, turning the lights on and making a ton of noise. I was annoyed, but was going to let all of this blow over until I went to check out that morning. The guy at the front desk expressed his annoyance with how I closed the door too hard, and after what I went through the night before, I nearly lost it. I explained that after the rudeness my roommates showed me the night before with their smoking, I wasn’t all that bothered if they woke up when I left. When he heard about the weed, the man at the desk responded with “but they are all girls in your room.” Apparently, according to this hostel, girls are incapable of smoking. I explained to him they were in fact smoking, and to his credit, he did appear to be going to check the situation out, although I have no idea if anything actually happened.

As a solo backpacker, I was extremely displeased with this hostel. I am fine with partying, but you need the facilities to do it without being a pain to those who are also looking to get rest and see the city. Never in my life have I been around such rude travelers, and never again will I stay at this hostel.

Room Tip: Do not come here unless you can afford to book a private room. In the dorm rooms you will get no sle...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank SnappleSpice
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I've stayed at Cat's Hostel a few times over the course of the past 6 years in travels around Europe. It has remained a go-to choice for me for the past few visits. For a night or two, it can't be beat. It is simple but clean and probably one of the best bargains in Madrid. Centrally located, great atmosphere, helpful staff that is ready and willing to give recommendations.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo