“very friendly service in a tidy and stylish hostal”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Chueca Hostal

Casa Chueca Hostal
Ranked #177 of 410 Specialty Lodging in Madrid
perth
“very friendly service in a tidy and stylish hostal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

We were greeted with a beaming smile from Mario, who obviously has pride in his hostal. It was very tidy, and stylishly decorated with attention to detail. Overall we felt looked after, and would certainly stay again the next time we're in Madrid.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Turkish first
Woodbury, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

When we travel, we really look for value in our hotel rooms- and Casa Chueca has everything! Lovely, bright rooms with a little balcony- and the guy who runs it, Mario, was so helpful with recommendations and making sure we had everything we needed! He really went out of his way for us!! The location is wonderful- you can walk to everything in about 10 minutes.
Casa Cheuca is a wonderful, affordable, hip place to stay when you're in Madrid- gay or straight!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

Casa Chueca is a lovely little hostel on San Bartolomei, right in the heart of the Chueca district. As is the rule for spanish hostels, the rooms are basic: essentially a swaure room with a small-ish walled-off area for the bathroom. The difference in these hostels is in the detail: in Casa Chueca, everything looks clean and bright and the guy who runs it takes great pride in making sure all your towels and bed-linen are freshened-up after you leave. The hostel bloke was also extremely helpful in other ways while we were there: giving recommendations for bars, eating, how to get from A to B, keeping our luggage for us on the last day... in fact he couldn't do enough for us.

The only word of caution that I would give is that the Chueca district is a nightlife centre, and nightlife in Madrid is a late and noisy affair. I'd recommend you get some earplugs!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Palm Beach, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

Stayed at Casa Chueca for one night in March 2009. It is located in the hip and gay neighborhood of Chueca. It is a small place located a good stairclimb up an old building on a side street. Unfortunately, I stayed here with my Mom, which was not the best idea. It was not the cleanest of rooms. Our room was tiny with 2 twin beds. Here is my problem.... the bed linens have no top sheets, just blankets. I don't think hotel staff wash blankets as regularly as sheets, so that wasn't comforting to me. Also, there was a stain of unknown origin on the top of the bed, also not comforting to me. It was also a noisy neighborhood, with revelers out until the wee hours.... Not a great night sleep and not a good place to stay with mom....

• Stayed March 2009
mexico city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

My partner and I stayed at Casa Chueca in March of 2009. We loved our 8 nights there. I gratefully find that the folks who run them usually put an extra lovely touch.

Casa Chueca is a very clean, comfortable, no frills place to stay and in a great location. I’m pretty sure that we got better cleaning service than we do in most 4 star hotels. We were able to check in upon arrival: 11:00AM. The ensuite room was a good size and the bed was so comfortable. There was plenty of room in the armoire to unpack and hang clothes. We loved the small spanish style balcony overlooking Calle San Bartolome, great view! Staff were pleasant, kindly, friendly and helpful, with getting any where, especially to and from the airport. Check out the website: ---- The pics of the rooms are of the ACTUAL rooms. and Mario, the guy who runs Casa Chueca is such a great guy!

The Chueca neighborhood has tons of fun everyday, there are restaurants and plenty of night spots: gay and straight. Most big attractions are in walking distance, what it’s great!

We enjoyed our stay there so much that we are going to stay there again when we visit Madrid! By the way if you want a quite room, far away from a noisy and fun night, ask for it to Mario, he such a great host!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

You know, I wrote a review of Casa Chueca a few years ago after just a couple of stays there, but I wanted to write another one now that I know the place so much better. I have spent literally 50 days there in the last few years.

This is a really special hostal. Oscar and Elizabeth are so great at making your stay great! This last summer I was in Spain for 2 months and spent about a month of that at Casa Chueca if you add up all of the time spent in Madrid. They were so flexible in allowing for my changing plans.

The people that stay at Casa Chueca are also really cool: professional people up for an adventure in Madrid without spending €150 per night just for a place to sleep. There is a really cool vibe when we see each other at the internet computer in the hallway.

Spending about a month there last summer, I must have met 50 other tourists (many traveling alone). Many nights we would all hit the bar together and become "vacation friends". That doesn't happen in regular hotels.

Oscar also goes out of his way to give you privacy. If he knows that you're still sleeping, he won't barge in to clean the room. When I'm there, he knows I'm out until 7am and sleep until 3pm. Then when I emerge, he wants to chat and hear about my night.

If you're a solo traveler (especially if you're gay), you won't be bored or lonely at Casa Chueca. If you're not solo, you still might meet some cool people.

Check it out!

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank Michael K
New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2008

Recently spent 10 days in Europe, with 5 of those nights being spent in Casa Chueca. After bothering the staff via e-mail for months, I was prepared for very polite service and was politely surprised to find some of the friendliest hotel service I've ever received--independent of priced. I was on a budget this time, but have been lucky to stay in more expensive places. I think the staircase is becoming much scary--they were working when we stayed, but seemed to be headed on the right direction. Unless you've got a good deal of strength, I'd stay away too, A PRETTY lengthy trip up the steps, even unburdened with bags, but such is Madrid--alot of on-foot time! :-)

All of the Casa Chueca staff we encountered were marvelously sweet and polite--apologizing for their English, when it was clearly I who had more apologizing to do for my Spanish.

The rooms themselves are adorable, very 'bright'--ours had a nice window and mini-balcony to watch the goings-on in vibrant Chueca. Not a huge bathroom, but I'm compact, so didn't mind...most importantly it was CLEAN!!! If you're insistent on large towels, you might pack your own, as they do provide towels, but they're not huge.

TV / closets / coffee/tea-maker/internet station in the lobby. Not a quiet area, but doing any time in Madrid should exhaust you so much that you sleep through it regardless! :-)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Stairs--though a very minimal concern....really! ;-
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Greg P