“What a great Hotel in Madrid!!!!!”

Hotel Meninas - Boutique Hotel
Ranked #152 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Chicago
“What a great Hotel in Madrid!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

I am so glad that we chose this unique,quaint Hotel, an old Palace, located just steps away from the Royal Palace. If you want to feel like "Royalty" on your next visit to Spain stat at Hotel Meminas where the staff could not be more professional and friendly at the same time. Eager to help you in telling you of places to visit while in Madrid.
Our room was very nice, clean and comfortable and with natural light that brightens the start of your day and the breakfast buffet one of the best I had.
I will return again and again to this "gem" in Madrid where you are made feel like you are part of one happy family. Excellent Hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
PedroAlonso, Dirección at Hotel Meninas - Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
Dear client
From Hotel Meninas we like to be so grateful for you comment in TripAdvisor.
We hope you find your place in the Heart of Madrid for your future visits to our city.
The family of Hotel Meninas will be waiting you again with the ilussion to do from your holidays the best memories.

Sincerely

Direction Departament

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
North Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Meninas Hotel for 2 nights. The location is the best part about this hotel. It is tucked away on a quiet street with little thru traffic. It is close walking distance to many sites in the city. In regards to the hotel, it has a contemporary feel to it and is a small, boutique hotel. Our room was rather small and the bathroom had a stand up shower. Our TV didn't get reception and although we asked the front desk staff a couple of times, we were not able to get someone to come fix it. However, we really weren't in Madrid to watch TV! The front desk staff was very friendly but we didn't utilize them much because there was usually only one person at the front and they were usually on the phone. Overall, it is a nice hotel, a step above your basic hotel but the location and price makes it worth it. We would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
PedroAlonso, Director General at Hotel Meninas - Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comment regarding your stay with us, here at the Hotel Meninas.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

From the heart of Madrid and from our entire team we extend our warmest regards.

Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2010

We spent four nights at the Hotel Meninas in late March 2010. My wife and I shared one room, and our two teenage daughters shared another room. We could not have asked for a better location. The hotel is less than a block from the Opera House, and is easy walking distance from Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, and nearly all the major museums. Our rooms were small, but well appointed and very clean. We had rooms on the fifth floor, and things were very quiet. The breakfast buffet was quite good. The front desk staff were all very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

We recently stayed 4 nights at this hotel. Upon arrival, we were assigned a small room near the back of the hotel. We enjoy a room with a view so I went back down to the reception desk to ask and received a bigger room with french doors facing the main street.The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are well appointed and very clean. Bathrooms clean with plenty of amenities; toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, shoe horn, soap, shampoo, lotion, tissues. Mattress and pillows were very comfortable. The location is perfect, within 5-10 minutes walking distance to Puerto del Sol and Plaza Mayor. There are plenty of restaurants, shops and banks nearby. (The Sandler Banks do not charge a commission to exchange money). The Opera Metro is 3 minutes from the hotel. Our stay included breakfast so we were treated to pastries, fruits, meats/cheeses, scrambled eggs, bacon, spanish omlete, churros, desserts, coffee, juice, tea, hot chocolate in the breakfast room. The hotel has a free computer in the reception lobby. It was a pleasant stay and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

2 Thank Brenda H

Athens
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

A friend and I chose Meninas for a recent four day trip to Madrid, based among other on the very positive reviews the hotel received on this site. Although the location and the building itself lived up to expectations, the overall experience was disappointing.

When checking into the room around 14:00 the first day (after strolling around for two hours following arrival, leaving the staff sufficient time to clean), I arrived in a 5th floor corridor and room where the air was stale (from smoking?), the room extremely dusty (floors had not been vaccum cleaned and there was a centimeter of dust on top of all mirrors, frames and other surfaces) and the bathroom superficially cleaned (traces of other people's use, including hair and dental cream, visible everywhere). The worst was the air filter in the bathroom, which was so grey and dusty it looked like it had not been touched for five years. As I suffer from dust allergy, I imemdiately felt pain in my eyes and my lungs, and I contacted the reception. They offered to send somebody to clean, but as I desperately needed some rest, we agreed that the room would be cleaned later in the afternoon, when my friend and I would go out for sightseeing/dinner. When we returned in the evening, there was NO improvement (nobody had cleaned), and the reception manger offered us to move to Hotel Opera down the street. As it was late and we had unpacked, we declined, but asked him to kindly leave a note for housekeeping the next morning, pointing out exactly what they should pay particular attention to. To make a long story short, there was absolutely no improvement in the cleaning the following two days, and I doubt if the staff in Meninas do anything more than make the beds when guests are staying. They certainly don't clean/use detergents in the bathroom, and the floors were never vaccum cleaned.

In addition, the whole atmosphere of the room was rather cold and very far from the cosy rooms I have gotten use to in other hotels of this type/price level (for example the Aston hotel in London). The lighting was insufficient, there was no water kettle to make coffee/tea (standard in most boutique hotels), and the TV was a small PC screen which had seen better days. Another big minus was that the PC down in the reception area had an internet connection slower than anything I have experienced in recent years (even in Eastern Europe), and when I pointed out to the hotel reception that I could not even access my email to check my departure flight, they were again quick to offer Hotel Opera as an alternative..I tried to point out that as far as I book and pay to stay at a specific hotel, I am not really interested in having to rely on another one to provide the services I require, but they did not seem to understand.

In general, although the reception staff was forthcoming, they did not possess the kind of information we would expect. When we asked them to recommend a good Asian restaurant, they suggested Italian (...), and when we asked for good quality shopping (small boutiques, Spanish design), they suggested one of the typical high streets. I think some it may be explained by insufficient languages skills/difficulties in understanding, but still, it did not help the overall experience.

Finally, the breakfast was just as good as expected from other reviews, but again, the juice glasses were. without exception, dirty (surely only superficially rinsed in hot water) and even the plates bore occassional traces of food. All in all, I came home after a four days stay with swollen eyes (from dust allergy), a desire to take a shower, and to go to bed in clean sheets, and that is not how I expect to feel after a week-end break.
I have stayed at a variety of hotels in the same category in the last 3-4 months, in Athens, Bratislava, Tallinn and London, and they all offered much better value for money.
Hotel Meninas = disappointing!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank ACT73
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

My boyfriend and I just stayed at Hotel Meninas based on reviews such as the ones on tripadvisor. I read quite a few of those reviews and was happy to find out that they were spot on!

We had a really good stay at Meninas, making our couple of days in Madrid even better. First off, the location is wonderful. I enjoyed the fact that we were close walking distance to many sights & interesting local spots as well as the metro station. The street it's located on is just slightly off the main streets, but we enjoyed that since we didn't have to deal with large crowds when we were tired at the end of the day.

Second, the hotel in general was accommodating to us in more ways than one. I had actually e-mailed them prior to the trip regarding the shuttle service and received a response back that came quickly and was informative. They were also very good about making sure we had a non-smoking room and they have a bag check service that really came in handy. Also, we were able to book on-line, and that ended up being an easy and efficient process. I also enjoyed their fairly large lobby area and quiet rooms (no sound from any of our neighbors).

We decided to get the "Mini Double" and we got a fairly nice room for the price. This is not a room for people staying long term, as it isn't that big. But, for an evening or two it suited us just fine. The room itself was clean and well kept up, with a nice bathroom and windows that lead into the courtyard. The bathroom was clean as well and the shower (a stand-up; no bathtub) was new and worked great.

Although it is not free, the shuttle service (which needs to be booked 24 hours in advance) was able to take us back to the airport. After walking for 2 days it was nice not to have to worry about public transportation.

In addition, the breakfast buffet was included in the price of the room and it was really, really good! I am a vegetarian and after eating a fairly limited diet it was so nice to have a lot of good options at the Meninas breakfast. It is just downstairs in the hotel and very quaint and clean. I enjoyed it so much that I would not have minded paying extra.

The only things I wish had been better or different were I wish that they did a pick up shuttle from the airport and unfortunately the TV in our room didn't work properly. We did call the front desk to try and get help with the TV, but it seemed resistant to any of the technical "fixes". We opted to not make an issue of it, but it would have been nice to be able to watch the news in English (it only operated on 1 channel, and that was in Spanish).

I would definitely recommend this hotel to fellow travelers to Madrid and, in fact, I already have!

3 Thank CinemaChick
Rome
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

We stayed 2 nights for the weekend. had chosen it based on the great reviews and though all in all I found it a good choice I was expecting something more. The room was nice, regular size, with a small balcony and a big bathroom. Nice dark wood floor, modern decor. the problem was with the windows fittings not good enough so that the noise from the street during the night (what were they moving up and down the street?) was quite disturbing and a cold draft came trhough the window. I had chosen an external room to have more light but probably was not a good choice. The pluses were location in the historical centre, just off plaza mayor and more importantly close enough to the restaurants and tapas bars in calle baja and a good breakfast served in a cellar but pleasantly lit with a good variety of juices, cakes and a hearty tortilla. you can travel by metro as the Opera stop is just 50 meters away and in 40 mins you can be at the airport.

1 Thank marcoclaudio
Dear guest,

Meninas Hotel is situated in the centre of Madrid and Madrid is a city with a full of live, and sometimes we aren’t able to control the noise in the street. However, the next time you will in our Meninas Hotel , it will be a pleasure to assign you a room in a high floor.