“It suckssssss”

Ranked #47 of 277 Madrid B&B and Inns
ATHENS
“It suckssssss”
Reviewed January 2, 2009

Unbelievable ! SHAME ON THEM ...
Very bad behavor , really bad situation in the small room , i couldn't stay even for one hour in there !!! NOT cleaned room !

Unhelpful stuff, verey small and they did'nt offer even those i had already paid for, such as ... HEAT , HOT WATER, TELEPHONE, TV , BALCONY. THEY ARE LYERS AND NOBADY SHOULD VISIT THIS UNDESCRIBLE PLACE !!!!

INFORM OTHER PEOPLE BEFORE THEY PAY JUST LIKE I DID , I LOST MY MONEY IN THERE !!!!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Hungarian first
Sevenoaks
Reviewed October 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hostal Fontana for 3 nights at the beginning of October. The hostal is on the first floor of the building, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. They helped us book our return taxi back to the airport and let my husband borrow their iron.

The room was small but clean, we booked a room with its own bathroom but I believe some of the cheaper rooms have a shared bathroom. It is cheap accommodation, and you get what you pay for, we were happy with our room, clean with a comfortable bed, and a really good shower, plus ideal location in the centre of madrid for very good price.

They offer a breakfast of sorts, muffins with a drink, but we didnt bother with it.

The main negative point is that the hostal is on a side street off the Gran Via, and at night this street is seedy, there are a number of prostitutes and people hanging around. So this wouldnt be suitable for singles, elderly, or families.

If you get time, go and see a Flamenco Show, we went to one off the Gran Via and it was BRILLIANT!!

• Liked — Perfect location, we walked everywhere!
  • Disliked — The seedy side street it was situtated on.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MinxgirlSevenoaks
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Staff really unhelpful. Disgusting bathrooms. And I mean disgusting!

• Liked — The fact that there's an elevator so you don't have to lug your stuff up the stairs
  • Disliked — The staff, and the fact that the breakfast was a lie
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ouioui7
ignazio g, Propietario at Hostal La Fontana, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
I'm sure you're exaggerating here's not as bad as it seems, never forget that we're talking about people who do their job very seriously, not if you were looking for slaves, I'm already there.
In this hostel CLEANING every day is the best
products on the market, I think it is unlikely that the habits are Sicilian, with what I spend cleaning paper, would not allow it ever, and is also useless to put names of cleaning products because surely not conosco
Another question breakfast, was a gift lovingly towards customers, and it was not bad.
Surely you've found wrong with us just because
rispectar had to be some standards of living, I'm sorry you'll have to get used to because everyone asks rispecto, including slaves.

Sorry a candle, because you have not Hido to another site, not very Igiene sleep in a place so dirty, do not you think?

Hoping not to see ever in my life, I greet you very warmly.
Manchester
Reviewed July 2, 2008

After the reading the reviews i was a bti aprehensive on what to expect. The hostal was easy to find and we were greeted with a friendly, English speaking member of staff. Our rooms were small but equipped with everthing you would expect from a hostal. The sheets were changed everyday and the air conditioning was a god-send. There was a free breakfast but we didn't try it. The only downside to our stay if any, was the prostitutes that were on the street, but they never bothered us or anyone for that matter. Overall a great stay in Madrid.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank suitcase_kid
Belgium
Reviewed September 1, 2007

- Staff doens't speak english
- Unfriendly staff
- Breakfast was no breakfast, just a small dry biscuit with some coffee (if you lucky to have some...)
- there was one table for breakfast which you have to share with others...
- Situated in an area with adult shops and prostituation, beware of your wallets etc. also a lot of noise from the streets.

+ Rooms were fine and clean.
+ near the city centre

I am sure there are better hostels in Madrid then here.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ignazio g, Propietario at Hostal La Fontana, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
surely there are better and worse, friendly and unfriendly, good and bad.
I am happy with my sympathy and the desire I have to live and share.
and have never had problems with English, with some sympathy and a smile fixes everything.
a greeting friend
California
Reviewed September 22, 2006

Location fantastic! Centrally located, right across the street from an Adult Bookstore and hooker alley.

Their website gave you the impression that the entire building was the hostel, and the lovely lobby would be cozy and inviting. The lobby's only use was as a walk through to the stairs & lift. And the beautiful fountain courtyard, locked behind glass doors, and not open to the guests.

The friendly staff provided me with freshly laundered cleaning rags to use as towels. They then escorted me to my room.

After the door closed behind me, I was literally in shock for 10 minutes before I could do anything. I've seen bigger prison cells on tv newscasts. The room also had no airconditioning in a city know for it's summer heat.

The tiny bed was shoved up against the wall. There was no closet or wardrobe. At the foot of the bed, in front of the door, was a metal rack commonly found in restaurant kitchens to be used for clothes. A few coathangers dangling from one of the shelves was the coatrack.

The sumptious breakfast advertised in their dinning room. Turned out to be just a counter in the hallway instead. Luckily there was a handful of stools that their entire guests could take turns sharing.

I've stayed in hostals that have been lovely. This isn't it!

How a place like this can be rated 4 stars is beyond me.

Don't get lured by the price of the room. It's not a good value for your money. In this case, you don't get what you pay for.

Sometimes these cheaper places are a gamble. La Fontana was a crap shoot.

I crapped out and The House won!

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Too many to mention!
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid like the plague!
  • Stayed July 2006
3 Thank al345sf
there are two possibilities, ho most of my clients lie.
I do not think, because they always come back
ho this man is the wrong hostel.
the hostel is just steps from the Gran Via, the streets are very clean, around the center of town there is prostitution probably because men will go with them.
I do not comment on the hostel.
all reservations are guaranteed with credit card and if I wanted I could say, and leave.
San Francisco
Reviewed September 20, 2006

We were actually looking forward to the Fontana as the pictures on the website looked so nice. Wow, what a shock. Always remember to SEE the room first. It was not much more than a hallway for the room with a sagging bed, torn towels, a shower stall so small if you turned around you truned off the water. You had to sit on the toilet sideways as the heater was in front of it. No soap, and when you opened the window to a light well the smell of rancid fat wafted in. I learned a hard lesson...always see what you are buying. We walked out 118 euros poorer and they on top charged again for the room after we left. Avoid this place like the plague!

• Liked — Really, nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away, far away.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends