“Wonderful Location”

Ranked #47 of 276 Madrid B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Location”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I would say this is more of a guesthouse than a hostel. I stayed for 3 nights, check in was smooth and simple and the man was very pleasant.
The room was attractive and had everything i needed and was very clean.
The location of this hostel is perfect. Right by Gran via metro and close to Sol and Plaza Mayor. even the royal palace is within walking distance.
I don't usually comment on noise but felt i have to on this occasion. It's an old building so the walls are paper thin, maybe some carpet in the hallway would combat the noise of people walking back and forth. However the main problem was the bar downstairs. On my last night their pumping music was still going strong at 0545 and the music is loud in the rooms.
Also despite my booking confirmation saying breakfast was included there was no mention of breakfast upon check in or at all throughout my stay.
Wasn't a problem as the reviews on here said it wasn't great but still would have been nice if it were mentioned.
All in all though a great say for very cheap in the centre of Madrid.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dollyloulondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Hungarian first
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at La Fontana for one week while I was looking for a permanent place to stay here in Spain (I'm a student doing an exchange program here). As my budget is fairly tight, I wasn't expecting much from such a cheap place, but I truly was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and nicely decorated with a private toilet and towels etc. included.

The personnel is really friendly. Some of the workers there helped me buy a subway subscription, and the Italian owner even carried the bags into my room upon arrival. The hotel is really located in the heart of Madrid. You have a three minutes walk to Puerta del Sol, four minutes to Plaza de España and five to Plaza Mayor. It's basically located 50 meters from the big avenue that goes straight through Madrid; Gran Vía.

There are a lot of bars and restaurants on the parallel streets (Fuencarral and Hortaleza), which means that there can be some noise in the night from the nightlife if you have an exterior room, but there are two pretty thick doors that you can close in front of the windows that help a lot. I wasn't bothered that much and I was able to get seven night of good sleep (in an exterior room).

The breakfast included (note: Spanish breakfast) was at a bar just outside on the street.

When my friends and family come to visit me here in Madrid, I tell them all to stay there. It's really worth the money for such a central and friendly place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Robbie M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2013

On my third trip to Madrid, I was looking for an alternative to a hostel, but still within my budget and at walking distance to all attractions as well as easy access to the airport. It was a stone throw from Gran Via, across from MacDonald, I found Hostalm La Fontana. I rang the bell and was admitted instantly. As soon as I met the owner and saw one of the rooms with two single beds, private bathroom, balcony looking down the street and the room was tastefully decorated and spaceous, I immediately put down a deposit for my return trip to Madrid. We had two delightful nights here and enjoyed the adventure of looking for the cafeteria the manager sent us for breakfast (which was included) in the morning. The hostal was clean, quiet and service was friendly. We were able to come back for rests, refreshed with hot showers before ventured out again for another outings. We felt very safe walking back at night after a late dinner. The biggest surprise was that we paid the same in a hostel with bunk beds. I highly recommend to anyone who wants to see Madrid on foot.

Room Tip: choose a room that is spaceous for your need.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Maria W
luton
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here for three days, luxury it's not but if you just want a cheap room with ensuite this is the place. Could not get a better location for the price, 200yds from gran via metro 10 min walk to the main squares. The owner was very helpful and could answer all our questions on getting to places of interest, mainly on foot because everything was so close. I stayed here with 2 friends all in the same room no problems as we only needed the room to sleep in, beds were comfortable a bit small but served the purpose. Would stay here again.yes the rooms and bathrooms are dated and small but clean. The free breakfast at next doors cafe is not worth getting excited about but there are plenty of bars about if you want something more substantial.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the small internal courtyard, heard nothing all night.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank scan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hostel La Fontana is the best place. I can recomand you with safety because evrething in very good. The personal is very amable it is very clean ( the bathroom, the bed linen, the towels ).The rooms are beautiful ,very nice arraged with evrethig what you need.This trip was the best because i had a good place and i am going to back certainly in the same hostal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank radu1988iulia
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed August 8, 2012

It was my first trip to Madrid. We chose this hostal because of it's location. So big plus for location + it was cheap.
Room I had was very small and L-shaped. In first part of L there is bed and some shelves and old fashioned tv, in the second part there is washbasin, than shower cubicle, than toilet and at the end of L there is window. As you can imagine the room is very dark. I barely managed too squeeze myself between the wall and shower to get to toilet....
In the neighbourhood there are some nice places to eat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I wonder if some of the reviewers of this Hostal ever actually stayed in the place. I think some of them are confused in that the Spanish idea of Hostal does not equate with the English word Hostel. It is one floor of a building given over to hotel like accommodation – a very far cry from youth hostelling. Basically they are two star hotels on one floor of a large building. I stayed here for 6 nights in all and had a very positive experience all round. I had never been to Spain before and didn’t know one word of Spanish – which didn’t matter a bit to the staff as they went out of their way to be helpful and communicate. This place is frequented by Spanish visitors to Madrid. The place was 95% full the time I was there and I was the only foreigner in it. The rest of the guests were Spanish of a certain type – well behaved, busy, obviously there for an exhibition or show. Not what I expected.
‘Breakfast’ in the form of coffee and some sweet pastry is offered but I didn’t avail of it, as I preferred to eat out in the many café/bar/eateries in the immediate area. (There are two immediately under the Hostal). The Spanish just don’t do breakfast I presume because they eat so late into the night and the early morning. So if you are hoping for ‘The Full Irish’ you will have to find somewhere in the tourist places if you can.
The place was immaculately clean, the towels were changed every second day and the room cleaned daily. Some people complained of noise but my room was around the fountain in the courtyard so I didn’t hear anything and the road outside isn’t a main road. What was surprising is that the place is so close to the main shopping road – Madrid’s equivalent of Oxford Street that at night not a car can be heard. And you need to keep a window open because of the hot weather. The area is not ‘unsavoury’ as some reviewers make out. That’s like saying all the streets around Oxford Circus, Leicester Square etc are unsavoury. You are right in the centre of the city. You couldn’t get any better location. Late at night there are one or two ‘ladies’ to be found at the corner but they seem to be waiting for customers from the clubs. Most of the prostitutes are on the main drag and closely monitored by the police who just ignore them – as do all the locals out for walks in the evening. The place is in the middle of 4 and 5 star hotels so you are sharing the same streets with customers of those establishments too. This is totally unrelated to the hostal so I don’t know why it is even mentioned. Madrid is an expensive place to stay and for the money you pay for the rooms you get a very good bargain. If you intend to linger in your room a lot then a 4 star hotel would be a better choice but if you are out and about enjoying the city you will be fine.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo