“Best "Budget-Design-Hotel" in a Metropole ever”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Praktik Metropol

Praktik Metropol
Ranked #90 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Best "Budget-Design-Hotel" in a Metropole ever”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

An unbelieveable Money Value relation, in the center (Gran Via) of Madrid.
Clean spacious room (Superior) with an giant bathroom (spacious rain shower) and a balcony
above the Gran Via, the famous aorta of huge skyscrapers built in spanish Art Deco.
The hotel in Industrial 20/30 style fits perfect to this surroundings. You have a double glass window and good curtains not to get disturbed of the city traffic sounds.
The lounge is cosy, you can get a small but nice breakfast here in the first floor with a view over the beginning pedestrian zone of the capital.
Don't forget to have a sun bath on the rooftop/8.floor with a stunning Madrid panorama.
Nice and helpful service at the counter.
I'd return at once.

Room Tip: 4th floor or higher.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Praktik M, Director General at Praktik Metropol, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment about Hotel Praktik Metropol.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you liked your room as well as the “highlights” of our hotel – the terrace at the 9th floor with an amazing view over Madrid and the cozy lounge.

Of course we would be grateful if you decide to come back to our hotel during your next stay in Madrid!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I aim to give a factual review of my personal experience to assist others in deciding whether this type of hotel is appropriate for their needs.

PROS

The best thing about the hotel is the Location. Located just off Grand Via on a pedestrianised street, this is a great place to be in Madrid. The tube is right in front of you.
The roof terrace offers spectacular views across the whole city and is a nice place to wind down after a busy day.
The rooms are stylish and bright.
The windows are very good and block out the sound perfectly.

CONS

Policies. When we arrived they informed they had 2 bookings which were exactly the same in my name. One pre-paid and one not. I said that there must have been some mistake as clearly we only need one room. They said there was no mistake and I must pay the penalty of one night’s stay at full price (€101.00). I went away to check my e-mails and discovered that I had made the unpaid booking in error. I accepted the mistake was entirely my fault and asked if anything could be done regarding the penalty charge. This was met with a no. I pleaded some more as clearly they can see we are here to stay but made a simple mistake. But no, I had to pay. The receptionist stated that “this happens all the time”. If this is the case why don’t they flag duplicate bookings and send a courtesy e-mail to the guest in advance? Oh yes – so they can make more money. We asked to use the additional room that night.

Rooms. The 2 rooms we had access to the first night were 302 and 904. 904 is much nicer. 302 had ripped black out curtains, they bathroom drains stank, you could hear the guest upstairs going to the toilet, you can hear water running through the walls very clearly, all the lights came on half way through the night for no reason, the safe in the room broke down with my possessions in it. 904 was top floor with no neighbours so was wonderfully quiet and was next to the roof terrace.

Beds. The bases are no light as a feather and have wheels on, so when you turn over or even sit up to read they move and make a loud noise. You cannot sit up with your back to the wall as the beds flies off underneath you. Really annoying.

Housekeeping. One day the room was not cleaned, I called at 15:30 to ask when the cleaner would come and they said they leave at 16:00 and didn’t visit because the do not disturb had been up earlier in the day. No offer to send them before they left and if we wanted towels we needed to get them ourselves from reception. The next day when they did clean the room it was poor. They hadn’t swept the floor, they didn’t change our clearly dirty drinking glasses, we were out of shower gel and that wasn’t replaced. Im not sure what they did other than make the bed. Towels are changed every 3 days as a policy which is fine with me.

Service. This is a budget hotel dressed up. Therefore they run a skeletal staff who are functional but are not friendly – except the lady with blonde hair who was lovely. If you have a problem or a query it is not always possible to find someone. The safe broke down with my possessions it and the sole receptionist had to leave the front desk and come up to my room to manually unlock it but told me it won’t be fixed until the day after. After about 10 seconds trying to get a cover off she stepped back and said she couldn’t “because of her nails” and looked to me to do it, which I did with the room key. No apology and clearly I had inconvenienced her, despite it being a fault of the hotel.

TIPS

If you want cheap breakfast head to McDonalds – they sell lots of healthy choices such as yogurts, fruit, teas and a wide range of croissants and pastries in the Café section. All extremely cheap.

The nearest supermarket is located in the basement of Il Corte Ingles located just off the square at ‘Sol’ which is a 5 minute stroll turning right out of the hotel. Its sells everything and is fantastic value.
The bars opposite the hotel have lots of outdoor seating and are very cheap for a drink in the sun

Beware of Roma gypsies. They are constantly parading up and down the street begging and do not take no for an answer unless you are firm. They will hassle to death anyone who looks vulnerable.

The best bar nearby is about a 5 minute walk away called the Gin Club. Highly recommend it.

Overall, if you bear in mind this is a very much a budget hotel, I think you will be satisfied. Personally I expected more for €100+ a night.

Room Tip: 9th floor - much quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adz99
Praktik M, Director General at Praktik Metropol, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to apologize if Praktik Metropol didn't meet your expectations, we would like every guest to enjoy his stay. But I must say that I strongly desagree about some parts of your opinion.

Let's start with our policy. We received two different reservations that were made in September and in October. Therefore you received two different confirmations from us. We would clearly understand the mistake if the reservations were made few minutes distance from each other, but not one month. Furthermore, the reservation was for the weekend and the Hotel is always fully booked, that's why we also had to charge the penalty. It's not true that the receptionist said that this happens all the time because it doesn't and we are absolutely not interested in making money cheating our guests, it's not our concept. But you might understand that we can't send courtesy e-mails to every client that makes a multi booking if we don't see anything suspiciously wrong. I'm really sorry it happened to you but it wasn't regrettably our responsability.

Housekeeping checks several times during the morning the rooms with a Do Not Disturb sign on the door, especially before they leave. With the sign on the door, they are not authorized to enter, that's why it hasn't been cleaned. The next day that it has been cleaned, I apologize if it hasn't been made properly and I assume the responsability for that.

About our front desk staff, we have a 24 hours reception service. Our staff willingly help our guests and assists them with what they need. I'm surprised to hear that the receptionist couldn't help you with the safe because of her nails: they are used to do whatever it takes to solve any problem and this is not an attitude I expect.

I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. I'll take your review as an opportunity to improve some aspects of our service.

Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Whilst I wasn't blown away with this in respect of value I do like it and it has a certain contemporary feel to it.

The location of the hotel cannot be ignored - smack bang in the middle of Madrid with a metro about 25 strides away and an assortment of Hookers coming in all shapes of sizes floating around on the Main Street outside!

For those who may be concerned about that, whilst it is all quite visible they don't cause an problems and just add's vibrancy of the area.

Back to the hotel - average sized room's, all decorated consistently but obviously vary in size.

I found it to be a pretty cool place, reception staff were efficient and helpful and the hotel had everything that you require without exceeding any expectations.

Would I stay again-yep, largely due to the location so if the hotel is priced ok then it's an option worth considering as City breaks are often about location, location, location....no complaints, happy customers.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving a comment about Hotel Praktik Metropol.
We are glad that you liked the location of our hotel right in the center of the city and that you were able to enjoy your stay here.

It’s a pleasure to hear that you would reconsider to come to our hotel the next time you visit Madrid. On our website you might find lower rates, starting from 51€ for a double room.

Feltham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Excellent location for all the shops! Hotel was clean and the room was comfortable altho our room was at the back of the hotel and didnt get much light so was quite dark! The hotel has a lovely roof terrace altho its a shame there is no bar! Shower gel and shampoo is provided in the room but no soap at the sink!

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the street. It will be lovely and light alt...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a comment about your stay at Hotel Praktik Metropol.

We are happy to hear that you liked our location and that you enjoyed our roof terrace, one of the highlights of the hotel! The next time you might consider to book a Superior room, for just 10€ more – these rooms are exterior, with a view at Montera or Gran Via, and therefore much lighter.

Again, thank you very much for your comment and it would be a pleasure to welcome you again at our hotel!

Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

The location of this hotel is really perfect ! You cannot ask for more. And the rest - well, not that good. Very small rooms (we stayed in a sunshine room with a small balcony). Very basic. Not really clean. Nice and comfy beds. Staff OK.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank your for your comment about your stay at Hotel Praktik Metropol.
We are glad that you liked the location of our hotel and are sorry that you didn’t enjoy our hotel as much as we wish you would have done.

Since the hotel is a historic building, the sizes of the rooms vary and therefore we have smaller and bigger Superior rooms. Also, we are sorry to hear your complaint about the cleanliness of the room. We always do our bests to maintain high cleaning standards our hotel. We appreciate your comment in order to be able to improve our service daily.

Thank you again for your comments and regards from Madrid,

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I spent a good week searching out the best hotel for a very brief trip to Madrid and I was so happy with my decision.

This hotel is fun, different but also very beautiful in its presentation. We had a standard double which unfortunately didn't look out on to the Gran Via ( we had requested a view but were a bit late doing so and they were fully booked) but this really didn't matter to us as we were in the room for very little time. It was a small room but you wouldn't need anything more, there was enough storage for a a short trip the bathroom was big enough with an amazing shower and there are hooks to hang your towels (someone previously said there was no towel rail). A good hair dryer (which is next to the mirror!), free safety deposit box and good size TV are included in the room which were all handy also free wifi and use of communal computers with a printer so you can print of your boarding passes!

The location is perfect, in the middle of the Gran Via, next to a metro station and within walking distance of almost everything! The terrace on the 9th floor gives an amazing view of the city too. The staff were excellent, we checked in after 1am and the gentleman was very polite and efficient. We didn't sample the breakfast but it looked good value for the price and the lounge is lovely to sit in and people watch.

The only down side was that the heating/air conditioning didn't work. The temperature had dropped by ten degrees on the weekend we were there and I really felt the cold, particularly with just two sheets. There was also a spare blanket but this only helped a little. Also we could smell the drains in our bathroom which was also a slight negative, it was stronger on some days then others. Cleanliness however was excellent, the sheets and towels were spotless as was the bathroom. The only thing which I noticed but didn't bother me were scuff marks along the walls which is inevitable in all white rooms, it really didn't bother us but others may comment on it as a negative.

I would definitely stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of Gran Via
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Praktik M, Director General at Praktik Metropol, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment about your stay at our hotel.

We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel and were content with the room you had, including its facilities like the comfortable beds, the flat-screen TV and the free WIFI. We sincerely hope that the next time you get to enjoy one of our Superior rooms with a view at Calle Montera or Gran Via. They are larger rooms and usually cost only 10 euros more the double standard room.
Furthermore we are pleased that you liked our terrace in the 9th floor of the building, one of the highlights of the hotel, as well as our staff.
In addition we want to apologize that we had problems with the heating that weekend. As you mentioned in your comment, the temperature had just dropped and before, we had some really sunny and warm days in Madrid and therefore switched our heating system to air conditioning. On the weekend it suddenly got cold and it took us a while to change the system to “heating” again.
Anyway, we invite all the guests to ask for help to the front desk's staff. We might have provided you with another blanket.

We would be pleased to welcome you again in our hotel, maybe the next time during the summer, when it is actually much warmer in Madrid.

Thank you again for your review and kind regards,

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here again a few weeks ago and found this hotel just as amazingly wonderful as last year! Rooms are clean, bathrooms are magnificent and I just love the public areas, both the spacious, comfortable second-floor lobby and the rooftop sun areas.

Location is perfect, staff is friendly and attentive, beds are comfortable and I just wish they could duplicate this hotel in every city I visit. I've stayed in a number of European and North American hotels and this remains my absolute favourite!

Our friend was in a room overlooking the interior 'well' of the structure, so he had no view, but it wasn't a deal-breaker for him. We had a room overlooking the Telefonica building on Gran Via and would have preferred one facing south over the plaza, but really....if you want a view, just walk outside and wander the wonderful streets of Madrid.

Room Tip: Know that some rooms face a dank, dark, interior 'backstage' area while the rest have magnif...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your second stay at Praktik Metropol.

We are pleased that you enjoyed this stay as much as you enjoyed the last one and that you like our public areas – the cozy lounge and the terrace on the 9th floor – as well our rooms and staff.
Maybe you would also like to visit one of our hotels in Barcelona – there we have 2 more of the “Praktik” chain, located directly in the city center and called “The Praktik” and Praktik Rambla”.

We have normal “Double rooms” and “Superior rooms” – the Double rooms, like the one of your friend, are interior and have a view at the building’s courtyard, while the Superior rooms, that usually cost about 10€ more than the interior rooms, have a view at Gran Via or Calle Montera. At our website you find all the different types of rooms and while doing your reservation your are also able to leave a “comment” saying that you would like to have a view at Calle Montera the next time you decide to stay in our hotel.

Thanks again for your comment and we would be pleased to welcome you at Praktik Metropol another time.

Best regards from Madrid,