“Beautiful property, helpful staff”

AC Palacio Del Retiro, Autograph Collection
Ranked #135 of 442 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a beautiful property with a friendly, helpful staff.

I arrived at the hotel at 9am straight from the airport. I had requested a room with two beds, but that room was not yet available. The hotel offered to put us in a room with one bed for the night and then move us to the other room the next day. This was much appreciated as I was quite tired from the flight. The move was quick and painless as someone helped us move to our room the next day.

The rooms were clean and modern with very high ceilings. Breakfast was included as a Marriott Gold member. The continental breakfast was filling, though service was slow on occasion.

The staff was, in general, very helpful and friendly. They were able to help us make restaurant reservations, which was helpful for some of the smaller towns I visited.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon for two nights. We happened to stay in two different rooms because they were not consecutive nights. Both rooms were very nice, spacious and modern. The first was an upgraded suite with high ceilings and the second was still a very nice room. This is a wonderful, modern hotel with very nice staff. Highly recommended.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Very nice small hotel. It is a Marriott, but it does not have that big chain feel in any way. The staff was extremely helpful. I recommend this hotel if you plan to be out and about in Madrid. The food was good but over priced. I would still say take advantage of the location and eat at the cafés. We had a king bed room. The mattresses are very firm. Don't worry if you forgot your toothbrush. The bathtub was great. The room very contrary to the rest of the hotel is very modern. It felt like a city apartment.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is a lovely, modern hotel in an old building a few metres from the Prado and directly opposite the park. It has been very sympathetically restored. Rooms on the front have views over the park. The staff are warm and welcoming and upgraded us to a junior suite on arrival. We were only staying one night but, if we had been staying longer, I would have preferred the standard room with a view of the park as the suite was very dark, being at the back of the building. Very luxurious nonetheless with large seating area, excellent shower room and a Nespresso machine!! Breakfast was very pleasant although not memorable.

1  Thank Melanie D
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in September during our 2-week vacation in Spain. We enjoyed our stay. The hotel is well-located, footsteps away from the Puerta de Alcala, the Prado and directly across the street from Retiro Park which is great since we are runners and like to sweat off all of the food and alcohol that we consume during our vacation! The rooms were nice - above average (I believe we stayed in a deluxe room), good size, plenty of plugs (this is key!) and the bathrooms were particularly nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful in booking dinner reservations and providing other advice during our stay. We also loved the fact that we were able to book our entire stay on Marriott points so it was essentially a free stay - bonus!

Also, they have a very nice spa area with a sauna, hot-tub, hot and cold showers, and these amazing heated wooden chairs that I want to buy for my house!

Keep in mind this is more of a boutique hotel - it doesn't have the amenities or furnishings of a 5-star hotel (the Ritz is a stones-throw away if you are looking for that), but it's definitely quite nice. I just call that out based on some of the negative reviews here.

All in all, this is a great place to stay in Madrid!

1  Thank brian m
Reviewed September 15, 2013

As Platinum Marriott member, we were promptly upgraded to a large, quiet, indoor suite. Very spacious and quiet. However they must spray deodorizer as the smell was overwhelming. By 2nd day with the windows opened it dissipated. Location was close to the metro (we only used it to arrive from the airport), in walking distance to the museums and just about everywhere else. Across the street from Retiro park (think Central Park in NYC). This came in handy on day 2 as the hotel was lacking an outdoor courtyard and/or pool/lounge for afternoon relaxing. So we went across the street to the park to relax on a blanket for a few hours.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RSACJA
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were coming from the Arts Hotel in Barcelona so this was a bit of a culture shock :)
This is very much a boutique hotel. You feel like you are staying in someones nice big mansion. It is very cozy and quiet. The staff was supremely helpful and friendly. The food at the hotel was delicious. The person who cooks, is the person who serves- as I said, it is very homey.
They have a nice hot tub and sauna- it seems like it is mostly quiet there. I went down with my husband and we had the place to ourselves, it was great!
They have room service 24 hours- we tried all the food on the menu (it's pretty small) all the food was good.
The hotel is across from the Royal Park, make sure to check it out.

Issues: I disliked the smell of the room- I kept spraying my perfume everywhere. I am very sensitive to smell, my husband saw nothing wrong.
The gym is tiny :( I was not motivated to workout there at all.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple