Book In Advance
Tours from The Madrid Wine Experience tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience The Madrid Wine Experience
from $194.70
More Info
from $181.00
More Info
All reviews ribera del duero guide raul day trip la granja highly recommend this trip an excellent guide royal palace wineries buendia bodega spain alcazar tours aqueduct stops exercise
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you are interested in wine making/tasting and would like to learn some history about Spain at the same time, then this is the perfect choice! Raul was our tour guide and he was wonderful and knew so much about wine making. It is a bit of ride to the wineries from Madrid but well worth it, the entire tour is about 12 hours but don't let that discourage you from doing it. We also made a stop in Segovia to pick up another person and Raul took the time to show us the aquaduct and provided some history about it. At each winery we had a guided tour by someone at the winery and Raul often added more details (he knows his stuff!). We sampled some great wines and bought a case at the last stop and had it shipped home. if you are lucky enough to visit the Val Satillo winery, you won't be disappointed - this was amazing. We walked through underground caves where the wine is still stored and learned quite a bit of history. Our guide was a member of the family that founded the winery and spoke only Spanish, so Raul translated. My husband and I are not usually big on tours but we are SO happy that we did this one! Can't say enough good things about this experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is not a wine tasting, but an opportunity to visit several vineyards to deeply understand the process of making great wine. Initially, I thought the cost of this tour was a bit expensive. However, when you look at the personalized service and the fact that you are spending the day with a very knowledgeable English speaking guide combined and an excellent opportunity to learn winemaking from the owners and the operators of several vineyards, this experience is second to none.

Our tour guide picked us up from our hotel at roughly 7:45 am, returning a little over 12 hours later, I believe we returned around 8:30 pm. I mention this in case you need to schedule something later in the evening.

Our tour guide, Raul was very attentive. Any question you could think of was welcomed and thoroughly answered. I learned more about wine on this day than any other day of my life.

The tour consists of a stop near the Ruberio del wine region to stretch your legs, grab a café, and use the restroom after about an hour to ninety-minute drive. Once the brief stop is finished, you will receive a fantastic tour of three unique vineyards in the region.

I can not sing enough praise about our wine tour. It became one of the highlights of our visit to Madrid. If you are a lover of Spanish wines and have an opportunity to visit Madrid this tour is definitely worth the price. I highly recommend and would absolutely take another tour offered by this company. Great job and a wonderful experience which I will never forget.

Reviewed October 8, 2018

We had amazing tours in Madrid and Barcelona, but this day with David was exceptional. His knowledge ofth history and locations we toured including the windmills of La Mancha. We saw two very different types of wineries - both welcoming and delicious. Lunch was beyond delicious and plentiful. Would highly recommend this day!

Reviewed August 11, 2018

My husband and I booked the Ribera del Duero tour from Madrid. The tour lasted close to 12 hours and I can sincerely say that it was one of the best tours we have ever experienced. Everything was just perfect. We visited Segovia and three wineries in different villages. We were offered lunch in the second winery. We learned so much throughout the tour. The tour wouldn't have been this perfect had it not been for our wonderful tour guide Raul. He was so attentive to us, caring and full of knowledge. He was so committed to ensuring we understood everything given that two of the wine tours were given in Spanish. He was by our side translating every aspect of these tours. We were picked up and dropped off very close to our hotel with a comfortable air conditioned van. The tour was expensive but we felt worth the price. One suggestion we have is for Raul to have a microphone and speaker in the back of the van because we were seated in the back and as at times it was difficult to hear.

Reviewed August 6, 2018

This was one of the highlights of our trip. Raul, our tour guide, was well versed! While on the road he gave an excellent summary of the whole process of wine making . He was very attentive to us all. The Wineries selection was the best. We were able to see three different winery, thereby maintaining our attention throughout the whole day. Lunch was superb. We had lunch with one of the winery owner. The conversation and bonding during lunch was unique. Thanks Raul for such wonderful experience!!!

Reviewed June 28, 2018 via mobile

Marvelous day tour. Great option for both beginners and people who know more about wine. Part of the tour was definitely off the beaten touristic trails. The Guide was very professional - no intention to sell you something. Food at the winery was of a Michelin quality. Highly recommended

Reviewed June 5, 2018

On May 17th 2018 I traveled with my wife to Spain for our honeymoon. Neither of us had been overseas so we were looking for some guidance on what to do and see once we arrived. A month out from our trip we couldn't settle on what do for our trip aside from a couple restaraunts, seeing the Sagrada De Familia and getting to San Sebastian. I reached out to WinetourismSpain in hopes they could help us out for a few days. While corresponding via email back and forth I noticed they had a Honeymoon option leaving from Madrid and ending in Barcelona. I suggested it to my wife and she agreed this would be a lot of fun but she was worried since she doesn't drink wine. I told it would be similar to when we go to Breweries, she could try some stuff and then at dinner order Vodka. At Jennifers recommendation we booked the trip in reverse. This was a lifesaver since I don't sleep well on planes. Our first dinner in Barcelona we ate Torre D'alta Mar. The views were incredible. The wait staff was very accommodating and explained each meal as well as the wine we were having and why they were paired together. I couldn't have asked for a better start to the trip. My wife tried each wine and finished all but one. The second day we visited the sites suggested (sagrada de familia, olympic village, gaudi exhibits and just kind of got lost in the city) and then ate at La Barca Del Salamanca the food was amazing and honestly there was too much. We both loved the bottles of wine they provided. In San Sebastian we ate at Ni Neu the first night and it was incredible. The second day in San Sebastian we traveled to Hondarribia and Saint Jean De Luz. The driver had an internal issue was a little bit late to come get us but Luis and Jennifer jumped right in, on a sunday, to help us out. Hondarribia was such a cool city we could have spent all day wandering around. It's not very big but it's beautiful and the people couldn't have been nicer. Plus everyone lets you play with their dogs. We ate at Alameda and it was fantastic. Fresh food, great service and the wine pairings were great. Saint Jean De Luz was a fun city. My wife shopped and I sat outside one of the bars and had a couple beers. Very relaxing. Our last day in San Sebastian we took the Funicular to the top of Mount Igueldo. We had plans to see more of the city but the views up there are incredible. We ended up sitting on a bench for 3 hours drinking Aperol Spritzers. Then we wandered around the old city eating, drinking and meeting some of the locals. If the trip ended there I would have given it 5 stars and talked about it the rest of my life. Fortunately we had Raul Orantes for our guide through wine country. After hearing my wife was now getting into wine he made some adjustments to our schedule and off we went. He has a vast understanding of wine as well as the areas we visited. The second Winery we visited we ordered a case of wine. It was a small place with old vines and a really cool cellar where they age their wines. I wish I could remember the name(I'll edit once I speak with my wife). That night we stayed in a castle and wandered around Laguardia. We woke up excited for Ribera del Duero. Raul said he liked these wines better. I forget where we went first but we ate lunch their after touring the winery (again I'll edit once I speak with my wife). The wine was great but the food was even better. We then visited Vol Soltillo winery. I couldn't do this place justice with my words. You really have to experience it to understand how far back in time they go. How they age their wine. That night we went to dinner with Raul and he took us to all his favorite places. It was nice having someone order in Spanish for us and we got to eat his favorite dishes. The next day we ate lunch under the Roman Aqueduct. Unfortunately that was all our time with Raul but he stayed in contact with us, helped me get train tickets and made sure we arrived home on time. We did the Madrid Tapas tour that evening which was fun and it was nice having other English speaking vacationers with us. I'm working on getting my parents to skip their next trip to Napa and book a tour with Raul in Spain. Also, there a huge benefit having most of your dinners paid for before you arrive and all the wine tours are covered as well as your tapas tour so your costs are controlled which really helps if you are on a budget.

2  Thank mattkittle
Reviewed June 3, 2018

My husband and I had an amazing time on the Ribera del Duero tour from Madrid. The group was only us and one other couple, so we felt like VIPs getting personal tours at the wineries we visited. The quick stops in Segovia and Peñafiel were nice bonuses, and a perfect way to break up the travel between Madrid and the wineries. Raul was a wonderful guide - a total professional and an expert in food and wine, but also really fun to hang out with for the day. This tour was a splurge, but was one of our favorite parts of our trip to Spain (and one of our all-time favorite vacation experiences in general)!

Reviewed June 1, 2018

My wife, sister-in-law and I spent 9 days on the Madrid, San Sebastian and Barcelona gastronomy and wine tour provided by Wine Tourism Spain, an affiliate of the Madrid Wine Experience. It was a marvelous trip, and all details were as promised. The value for the price was excellent. The sights, the food, the wine and the wineries were all outstanding. The thing that capped it off was our guide, Raul Buendia-----he was superb. We have used many tourguides in a variety of European locacations, and he was by far the best. We were with him for 3 days through Ribera del Duero and Rioja, and we could not have asked for any better. He was courteous, extremely knowledgeable, very friendly and he spoke great English as well as Spanish.
Highly recommend this trip!

Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend and I chose to do the Toledo day trip and had the time of our lives! Our tour guide, Raúl, was extremely personable and knowledgeable of the city and wine/ the wine making process. His English was wonderful as well as his driving. We’d highly recommend this trip to anyone looking for an adventure in a beautiful, historical city. Easily one of the best things we did with our time in Spain.