“Fine but I'll try somewhere else next time”

NH Collection Paseo del Prado
Ranked #41 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Reading, United Kingdom
“Fine but I'll try somewhere else next time”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Not great start here. My ‘standard’ room was very dark with a tiny internal facing window – not on for a so-called 4-star hotel at Euro 110+ p/night. I was moved to a so-called standard+ room for an extra 10 Euros p/night which at least had an external window but again it fairly dark, small and nothing to shout home about (except for the nice coffee machine stocked with 2, yes, just 2, coffee pods but not great for the tea drinker).

I guess the room was ‘fine’ if small – a decent and comfortable double bed and a decent bathroom but the desk isn’t big enough to work on if you’re staying here on business and no instructions for anything – a nice TV but no list of channels and the hotel directory really needs some personalisation rather than the very generic listing – e.g. why not include things to do, a guide to local restaurants and bars, running routes, etc. – these personal touches really do make a difference to business and other visitors. And a ‘free’ bottle of water wouldn’t go a miss – that’s quite normal in most 4 start hotels I’ve stayed in (including NH hotels in the UK) whereas here it’s 6 Euros bottle!

No decent English language news channel on the fancy TV - no BBC World or CNN - just the Russian English language news propaganda channel.

The hotel was peaceful though and I had 3 good nights’ sleep here. A very good location in central Madrid and very close to the Prado – just across the road – and the Botanical gardens – is probably the best thing about this hotel.

The bathroom was nice – good shower (but no bath tub which doesn’t bother me at all) but some small improvements like a soap dish and a hand towel hock next to the sink would be good.

Breakfast was ‘continental’ – a good range of fruit, breads, ham, cheese, etc. and eggs available to order but no big cooked breakfast for the Brits and Americans.

Conclusion: I think it’s fine if you’re on holiday but not great for business if you need a working space and I’ll personally try somewhere else next time I visit Madrid.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank espressoHE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Czech first
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We spent 4 nights in March at the NH Paseo del Prado and could not fault it. We chose it initially for it's central location which fit the bill perfectly. Everything was within walking distance, museums, spoilt for choice, city tour bus, tapas bars. Our room, 618, overlooked the fabulous fountain and was well worth any traffic noise. Some very nice touches coffee machine, would like some bigger cups please, bed turn down, lovely bathroom and toiletries, slippers and fluffy dressing gowns just what was needed at the end of a busy day. Our room rate included breakfast which was fantastic, not just once but every morning. Will certainly stay again, thank you to all the very helpful staff, job well done.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room the view is wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Denise B
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 3, 2013

spent 2 nights there from 31/01/2013. Ideal location right opposite the Prado Museum, within walking distance of Botanic Gardens and park, lovely area of Madrid. Easy access to public transport, 10 minute plesant walk to Atochia train station. Very near good tapas bars, in fact hotel tapas bar is exceptional! would highly recommend food there.
We stayed in room 115 allthough not huge, it was fine for our needs, nice to have a street view! no problem with noise, beds very comfortable, heating perfect for time of year, bathroom a bit small but more than adequate. Lovely shower. Only gripe not enough toilitries for 2 people.
Breakfast facilities excellent. Lobby area a pleasure to be in. Overall Excellent Staff !

Room Tip: First floor rooms were fine but do ask for an upgrade, or a room with a view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Sharon O
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed February 2, 2013

On a recent trip to Madrid, my wife and I wanted to find a hotel centrally located with easy access to the major museums. The NH Paseo del Prado more than fit the bill. Our room was comfortable, reasonably priced and nicely appointed. The green marble in the bath added a luxurious touch. Service was friendly and helpful, and free Internet access was a convenience. The location was ideal, across the street from the Prado, on the Retiro, and a nice stroll from numerous restaurants and cafes. I will definitely return

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martin R
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed January 28, 2013

in all my numerous trips to madrid,. i believe that this is the best balance between porice and quality.
great breakfast, location the best of the best with del prado and thyssen museum, cybeles plaza, puerta del sol, plaza mayor at walking distance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sergelegabriele
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in mid December for 2 nights and had a great stay. We were pleasantly surprised that they let us check in early in the morning despite being told before hand that we would not be able to do so. The beds were relatively comfortable (2 twins pushed together) and the room was extremely quiet, clean, and warm. We had a room on an upper floor on the small inner courtyard that, despite being somewhat dark, was extremely quiet and allowed for great sleep after busy days. We didn't have the breakfast but there are several restaurants, and even a Starbucks close by for a quick bite to eat. The location is excellent, as others have pointed out, and allows for easy access to any of the great museums and to the tasty/lively tapas bars in Central Madrid.

Room Tip: For better sleep get a room on a higher floor next to the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank STandKZ
Midwest USA
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hotel was very nice and I am glad I stayed here. I was here for work and it was recommended to stay somewhere central in Madrid. I am relatively young and like to walk and I was able to get around many parts of the city on foot. I loved visiting the giant Park (Parque del Retiro) nearby and went there many times. I also walked around to places like Puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor many times. The location of Paseo del Prado is its selling point. The room itself was very clean and well-kept and the bathroom was quite large. I was only a few floors up and facing the street but noise was not an issue. This hotel definitely is not in the exactly "middle of it all" and surrounded nearby great things, but just off the center. Taxis and buses are plentiful, and it is very safe,clean and comfortable.

The only negatives I can think of that made it so I could not rate this hotel "Excellent" were:

1. The hotel staff spoke very poor or broken English. I realized in Spain that this would happen and I know enough Spanish to get by, just important to know for English-speakers who do not know the native language.

2. I booked through work and it was listed that wireless internet was free and included. The front-desk told me it was not. I showed them my confirmation stating that the internet was included, and they said that was an error or issue with NH as they did not offer it at this location. If I spoke Spanish better I would have contested it further, since it was annoying to have to go down and get a password for the internet multiple times. If my employer did not pay for this I would have been very unhappy, but it was just inconvenient for me. The staff remained pleasant and professional and I did not let it ruin things for me.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business