Spanish Sites Tours in Time – Exploring Madrid and the Spanish Civil War
Ranked #57 of 256 Tours in Madrid
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique tours about the Spanish civil war in and around Madrid. Following the steps of four famous authors and artists associated with the International Brigades – Ernest Hemingway, Gerda Taro, Charlie Connolly and John Cornford – our day trips leave the usual tourist trail far behind and enter the fascinating world of the war which shaped modern European history.
Munich, Germany
“Brings History Alive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

This tour was without a doubt one of the most interesting things I did on a recent four day trip to Madrid. The Jarama valley is an amazing place and going to the scene of one of the most important battles of the civil war really brought the history alive. There are lots of remains to be seen if you know where to look. David obviously does and tells the history of the battle and the war with some great stories and annecdotes. For anyone interested in history this tour is a must!

Stuttgart, Germany
“Like discovering another world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I went with a to Madrid on a trip for the first time with as one of a group of college students (we are studying history and literature). We went to the Jarama valley with Dr Mathieson to find out more about the Spanish civil war and people who took part in it. It was a really interesting trip and helped put the war into a context which made the events come alive. The guide was full of information and stories which helped make the visit interesting and he answered all our questions and more!

Uberlingen, Germany
“Fascinating trip in history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

As a college student studying WWII and Spanish history of the 20th century this tour gave me essential background knowledge. The visit to the Jarama battlefield was moving and informative - it is a beautiful place and David explained the terrible things which happened there. The contrast could not have been greater. This trip was definately worthwhile and I would like to do another!

Brooklyn, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Moving and informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stumbled upon this tour after an offhand conversation with my husband ("is there a museum or something in Madrid about the Spanish Civil War?") and arranged for a half-day tour within Madrid, focused on the Casa de Campo and Ciudad Universitaria area. My daughter, who's spending a semester studying at the university, went with us. David is a passionate storyteller and deeply knowledgeable about the war, the political situation leading up to it, and its aftermath. I definitely looked at the city with different eyes after the tour, and the impact on my daighter was even greater - she had no idea of the fierce fighting that had taken place on her campus, and was very moved by the stories of the young fighters for the International Brigades and the appalling fate of some of the university's staff. My only regret is that we didn't have time for one of the longer tours -- next time, perhaps.

Link to the Spanish Sites website for more info:

Madrid, Spain
“Passionate story telling!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

David's incredible knowledge combined with his specific attention to the detail made the walk through this important part of Spain's history unforgettable. If I read it in a book I probably wouldn't remember it but listing to a passtionate person telling the story from different angles makes you go back in time creating impressive images. I'll remember in particular the story of the young librarian Juana who had to flee with her husband facing a dramatic destiny in the north of Spain. I recommand you to listen to all these stories, it's worth it!!

Visited October 2013

Travelers who viewed Spanish Sites Tours in Time – Exploring Madrid and the Spanish Civil War also viewed

Madrid, Community of Madrid

Been to Spanish Sites Tours in Time – Exploring Madrid and the Spanish Civil War? Share your experiences!