“Highly recommended!”
Review of Artrip Hotel

Artrip Hotel
Ranked #5 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed October 12, 2013

OVERALL: It was hard to believe a 2-star hotel could be rated #1 on TripAdvisor, but I now totally understand why. We appreciate cleverly simple and modern/minimalist design, so this hotel perfectly fit our taste. The staff is friendly and unobtrusive. Is it luxury? No, but I wanted nothing more than what Artrip provided, and I was sorry to leave. When I return to Madrid, I’ll stay here for our entire trip. We are a married 30something couple travelling for our 10th wedding anniversary.

LOCATION: Perfect! 30 minute taxi from airport cost 25-30 EU. (We were cheated by the taxi driver on the way to the airport from another hotel in the area and paid 50EU). 15 min walk to train station (Estacion de Atocha). 20 min (leisurely) walk to Plaza Mayor and Prado. Lots of restaurants and bars in close proximity. We are walkers, and never had to take a cab/metro.

CHECK-IN: Perfect! Front door is secure with buzzer. Lobby is small, modern, neat, decorated with modern feel and art. We arrived 2 hours early so couldn’t check in, but front desk secured our bags which allowed us to walk around until check-in. Front desk rep (Sara) was SUPER friendly, and gave us 5 minute “crash-course” in the main tourist sights/attractions along with map (and hand written notes/directions). She even made Madrid:NYC comparisons to help better our understanding. We used this map for our entire trip, and when it got a little worn out – they kindly gave us another.

ROOM: 302 – Junior Suite. We loved it! Overall, this room is cleverly designed with seemingly eco-friendly materials and modern furniture (Ikea). Pictures are true to life. The room is the largest I’ve had in Europe, with 3-4 seat couch, shelving/console unit (Ikea Expedit) for extra storage, open closet with hangers and shelves. Mattress is FIRM (two twins pushed together), with light/minimal bedding. Extra blankets and pillows in closet. BATHROOM is open to the rest of the room; however, the toilet and shower have frosted (opaque) glass doors for privacy, and there is a large sliding divider for those who want a divided/private bathroom area. Shower is great with one rain and one hand-held shower head. Shower floor is slated and raised “wood” (really Trex or some other material) which is a nice touch and would help any drainage issues. There is also a small window for ventilation. Large mirror with modern glass double vanity sinks, with a bench for towels (I did wish for one wash-cloth) and basic toiletries (bar soap, shampoo, body wash). WARNING: the hairdryer is weak; his is not a problem for me, but I imagine some women with thick hair would prefer their own stronger hair dryers. Flooring is odd, but not bad – it seems to be an outdoor material, and feels plastic (almost sticky) underfoot – again, not bad, but unexpected. The room was SUPER QUIET since it only faces the “court yard.” If you want a room with a view, this one isn’t for you. Lots of outlets and lighting, and AC worked well. Small flat-screen TV was mounted from the ceiling and hung in front of bed (CNN and BBC for English). Complimentary tea with hot-pot, and mini-mini-fridge with two bottles of water.

BREAKFAST: 9a-11a, 4 euros each. Small/simple buffet: petite pastries, hams, cheese, tomato spread, toast, cereal, fruit (apples, pears, kiwi), juice, coffee, tea. Perfect for check-out day.

SERVICE: Everyone was fantastic! When our converter broke, they lent us one; when we asked a question, they offered informative and friendly answers; when we asked for recommendations, they were spot-on. We left the hotel at noon and returned at 11p and room was cleaned and bed remade. Not one complaint.

Book Artrip. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cuniete
Miguel Ángel P, Propietario at Artrip Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thanks so much for your time to devote some amazing words to our Hotel as this is a gift to us. I´ve never seen such a real, complete and wonderful review of our Artrip Hotel. We feel very happy that your stay in our hotel for your 10th wedding anniversary has been fine.

Thanks a lot too for your exactly description about everything; location, rooms, shower, breakfast, service, coffe and our Team, but the big win is that at the end of your review, you´ve recommended to anybody booking at Artrip Hotel.

Thanks again, and hope to see you soon at Artrip Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Artrip Hotel

Reviewed October 11, 2013

It's a winning formula, and so simple you'd think every hotel could do it: friendly staff; well-designed rooms with comfortable beds; and reasonable prices. What more could you want?
The hotel has been really well designed with great attention to detail and a cool, unfussy style. Because the rooms have been so well thought out they feel much more spacious than they are. Beds are comfortable and the soundproofing is brilliant - no noise from other rooms or the street. We had a triple room - even though as it turned out there were only two of us and would choose one again: the sofa and extra space were worth the extra.
I wasn't expecting much from breakfast as it was so cheap - but was pleasantly surprised. Eating chopped tomato and garlic on toast first thing in the morning was a revelation - and curiously addictive. But there was also fruit, cereal and a great selection of small pastries. And fantastic coffee.
Location-wise it's perfect for the three big art galleries - just a five minute walk from La Reine Sofia where you could easily spend all day. It's a local, multi-cultural area - and all the more interesting for it. Far better than staying in some sanitised tourist trap....

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stamfordbrook

Dear Guest,
First of all, thank you so much for this wonderful review.
Thank you for your kind words and consideration. We are very happy that you enjoyed your time here and liked the style of hotel´s design and location, into the District Centre of Madrid. I will share your comments with the entire staff. They take great pride in their service efforts. It means so much to our team to hear a review like yours.

We are very glad to hear such a nice words about our continental breakfast and our rooms with a good soundproofing.

It will be a real pleasure for us to host you in our hotel again.

With kind regards,

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Staff was super friendly and eager to help us find everything on our list of things to visit and great restaurant recommendations. The complimentary breakfast was much better than the usual continental breakfast that hotels of this caliber provide. Location was really good as we were a 15 minute walk to the Prado Museum, 5 minute walk to the Reina Sofia and within 20 minutes walking to all the other major attractions...basically we never used a taxi or the metro. Rooms were not big, but had everything we needed. Very modern and recently refurbished. If i was to ask for anything, it would be a nice lounge chair in the room.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
We appreciate a lot your time to review the Artrip Hotel.
Thanks for your good comments about our privileged Location and the friendliness of our Staff. We will transfer their positive comments to all our Team. We are happy too that you enjoyed also with our continental breakfast. I personally selected the good quality products for our breakfast. For example, our coffee is from Colombia 100% natural.

We appreciate your suggestion of having a lounge chair into the room, we´ll think about it.

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

So what can I say: the number one rated hotel in Madrid on Trip Advisor so my expectations were high! When I arrived, I was greeted by some lovely ladies at reception and after a brief chat in Spanish, I went to my room. I was very lucky that I was able to get a room as I made a mistake on my booking but luckily they had an attic room available because of a late cancellation..

I knew that something was up when I had a shower when I arrived late on Friday night and a cockroach ran across the shower floor... Maybe it was a sign of things to come...

So I got home after being out in the neighhourhood, (which if you wish to go out in Lavapies, it is perfectly situated) and tried to turn off one of the lights near the shower room. To my amazement, I was quite shocked - it wouldn't turn off! Despite looking everywhere for the lightswitch, I could not find it, so I was forced to sleep with a light on all night. Maybe I am blind, but it was not obvious where a switch (if any) was. This was all the more strange because you would think that the light would turn off once you took out the room card from the holder, which happens in most hotels. To make things worse - there is an airconditioning unit (or something similar) in the attic (room 2) that was quite noisy and wouldn't turn off despite my attempts to turn off the airconditioning.

So I must say, I was quite disappointed with the experience. Which is a shame, because you could tell they made quite an effort with the hotel. The breakfast was fine for a hotel of this rating and the room itself (apart from the foregoing and also the less than comfortable pillow) was well kept and designed.

Having said that, if the problems identified are fixed, I would return. It had a nice vibe and the people were friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Scottyr1977
Miguel Ángel P, Propietario at Artrip Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I have reviewed the various points you have raised, as well as the information noted during your stay and the issues you experienced it has never happened before to us.

It was very surprising to us as well. First thing I have done personally this morning was to change the cleaning and maintenance company due to this kind of situations it can never happen.Thank you for bringing these points to our attention that finally is giving us the chance to grow professionally.

I can assure you that this is an unsual situation as you can read from the rest of experiences. We are very sad to read this kind of experience because all our staff and myself as the owner are orienteted to serve the best service ever, as every guest is required.

I am very sorry about your non confortable experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally so that I can ensure you have a wonderful and relaxing stay as the rest of guests before.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 5, 2013

The staff especially Sara and James were exceptional. They added value to our stay in Madrid and their advice meant our visit was stress free. Rooms modern and clean, best coffee in Madrid. You would be doing yourself a favour if you stayed at Artrip.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Debbie M
Miguel Ángel P, Propietario at Artrip Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing Artrip Hotel for your stay in Madrid and thank you to send this beautiful comments. I am very happy to hear you liked the locations but most of all I am especially pleased that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff It is glad to read they provided to you an efficiente service to help you. I always feel this is the most important and lasting memory of a hotel.

We also appreciate your comments about our good coffee, I personally selected some time ago our colombian coffee that we´ve got, and this comment makes me very proud of this work.

With best regards,

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The crew is but a big smile. Friendly and helpful and all of them speak fluent english. The rooms are well isolated and we were not bothered by any noise at all. What we missed was moore space for clothes and luggage. The rest is good value for the money. Breakfast is simple but ok and goes on into lunch hours. Good 24 h open free coffee.

We did all of Madrid by foot and found it easy to reach the most interesting places. Reina Sofia with modern art and Atocha station is 5 min walk. Another 5 min and you're in Retiro Park. 30 min slow walk north to Plaza Major.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your review.
We are very happy that your stay was a positive experience with us. We are glad to hear such a nice words about the location near the museums and Atocha Central Station, the smiling staff at front desk and our continental breakfast.

We are thinking to improve a little bit of more space for the clothes into the rooms, it ´ll be difficult but thanks for your honest feedback.

Thanks again and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

What a great little hotel in Madrid about a 10 minute walk from train station. 5 euros from airport to train station on the yellow express bus. The hotel is clean, quiet and the staff is wonderful. 4 euros for breakfast and free coffee, tea and drinks available 24 hours. We arrived and departed from Madrid and on our return to hotel they had a nice bottle of wine and snacks waiting for us in the room. WOW. The owner of hotel has a restaurant not to far from hotel that was excellent also. Thank you Artrip for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: I requested a quit room so first night room 403 in back of hotel and no view on return room 401 in f...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank suzysnow
Miguel Ángel P, Propietario at Artrip Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear Guest,
Your compliments of the Artrip Hotel are greatly appreciated. We work diligently to offer the best service and a great stay for each guest. It is nice to know when this succeeded. Your compliments of our staff, location (10´ walking from Atocha Railway Station) are very much appreciated.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, for your recommendation about our family Restaurant "Viña P" in Plaza de Santa Ana, 3, and for taking time to write a wonderful review.

We look forward to your return.

Kind regards,