“Ran through it quick, but it was beautiful”

Palacio Real de El Pardo
Book In Advance
More Info
$29.92*
and up
Madrid Casino Gran Vía Entry and Evening...
Ranked #78 of 846 things to do in Madrid
Reviewed January 14, 2014

After living in Europe for 6 years I've seen a lot of royal palaces, so I wanted to add this one to the list. First time here we passed up the inside tour as I hadn't heard much about it from other travelers. So we went in the 2nd trip, and I thought it was beautiful. Is it worth the entrance fee? To me it was, but you will live if you come to Madrid and don't see it. We were in a hurry, so we went through it all in 40 minutes but found the rooms beautiful. Pictures are not allowed, which is something I don't like as an avid photographer, but it has a good side as it allows you to get through the palace much quicker than you would if you could photo each room. I do recommend if you're into palaces and decoration. If not, just peruse the outside area.

3  Thank sandiUKLondon
"photographs"
in 3 reviews
"journey"

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I m a resident in Spain for more than a decade and never had the chance to visit EL Pardo. It was nice discovery that the area is naturally absolutely beautiful. The castle is ok even with some vey nice rooms to visit but not really a spectacular one. We were surprised by unkind personnel at the ticket office and also the guy showing the church. The mother of my friend a really elder lady (visibly) was denied the elder discount because of not having her ID when she was visibly a very old lady and the clerck was very unkind to treat her.
I have to say that the tour guide was really well qualified and correct in his service to the group that was fairly small so therefore we couldn't understand the stress in the staff on a cultural asset that is maintained by public funds.

2  Thank SilviaMaria_73
Reviewed October 19, 2013

During out driving tour of the royal palaces that satellite around Madrid, we visited the Royal Palace of El Pardo. This very impressing cream coloured wall and grey roofed building was originally a hunting lodge dating back to the Habsburgs as it is set in vast wooded parkland known as the Monte de El Pardo. Of the many attributes identified with the Habsburg dynasty it is the hereditary over-grown jaw (mandibular prognathism) that received attention. It is clearly visible in many of the portraits of the family from the Renaissance period and after, and also is seen on coins of the period, as in the rather unflattering phrase of ‘Leopold the Hogmouth’! The old “lodge” was restyled and extended by Francesco Sabarini into the magnificent palace we see today. The entrance road way is at least 2 kilometres long and on the slow drive down, over speed humps we saw many deer and other wild animals. The interior is gorgeous with richly decorated with frescoes and tapestries, fabulous clocks, ornaments and other treasures. We paid our fee and then had to wait for almost half an hour as entry to the Palace was only by guided tour, and eventually others arrived and when we were a group of 12, our guide put in an appearance. Sadly she was not cheerful, with no hint of a smile. The tour was so rapid, I felt like we were an imposition, and not welcome, and worse still when I lingered for an extra 30 seconds to look more closely at the fabulous items, a guard who was trailing us simply put out the lights of the room I was in so I was forced to leave. I asked if we could slow down a bit as there was so much of interest, but the speed of the guide’s delivery and movement prevented us from having a proper tour of the amazing place.
Although the visit was worthwhile, it was very disappointing to be hurried through in this almost brusque manner.
Jan, Ledbury

2  Thank JanLedbury
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

The Palace is like any other in Western Europe, however it also houses the Military museum and the Pharmacy Museum, which are worth a visit to marvel or shudder at times past. The Palace is free in the evenings.