“Bygone glory, but still a good deal”

Gran Hotel Velazquez
Ranked #293 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Bygone glory, but still a good deal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Fantastic entrance referring to its former grandeur, lots of copper and marble , a gin-bar, a restaurant and a well stocked breakfast buffet. So depending on the room rate you might have a good deal (we paid 120 euros for 3 pax in appartment room). But not everything is functioning as it should. Airco did not work, very small elevators (2 pax max without luggage), and the view from the insiide rooms is rather depressing looking towards the windows of other rooms in a deteroriating inner courtyard (maybe put in some plants ?). Some good news as well : ffree internet is pprovided and that's sometthing that makeess this a 21st cent hotel after all. Staff friendly

Room Tip: avoid the inner courtyard view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
NuriaCHH, Departamento Comercial at Gran Hotel Velazquez, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you very much for your fantastic description, we are so glad to hear that you liked our decor and your remark about our famous breakfast. Sorry for the inconvenience, the air conditioning is maintained at a lower temperature than we ourselves can modify or show you the process in the own room. We will consider your suggestion on the improvement of the courtyard. Our staff is always friendly and helpful to make your stay enjoyable. Thanks for your time.It will be a pleasure to host you again in future.Kind Regards, Commercial Department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Staff fully absorbed by their own stuff, not helpful at all. Room service and restaurant personnel do not speak English: I had to match two menus myself to get what I want. Rubbish and old furniture , rather dirty. The only points I like: breakfast & location.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Madrid hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Booked hotel for boys trip to madrid there was 21 of us in triple rooms, hotel was spacious clean but big plus was the quality of the buffet breakfast, paella, meats, cheeses plus full cooked breakfasts. Would definately recommend visiting the gin bar next door, awesome, only negative is that its a 20 min walk to the touristy areas of madrid.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
NuriaCHH, Departamento Comercial at Gran Hotel Velazquez, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Gran Hotel Velazquez for accommodation in Madrid.
We would like to thank you very much for your comments but also for your useful remarks about the atmosphere and breakfast. We are happy to have covered your expectations and we are also very pleased that you have rated our hotel as excellent.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Best Regards, CHH Hotels.
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Since I discovered this charming hotel in Madrid, I have been advising all my friends to stay there. And they all thank me for the tip because the relation price/quality is excelllent.This time I stayed for a weekend and I got an upgrade for a very small amount of money although I already had a promotion that included breakfast. As I wrote in the other review the breakfast in this hotel is outstanding you even get a real cup of expresso coffee which is rare in 4 star hotels in Spain. On the last day of my stay I suffered food poisoning from a dinner at a fashionable restaurant (not at the hotel). I had already checked out of the hotel at noon but I was feeling so badly that I retrurned to the hotel and told them that I needed a place to rest before leaving for the airport at 5 p.m. and they allowed me to stay in the junior suite that had already been cleaned up without charging me an extra day. The staff was very kind and this is why I decided to write again about this charming hotel to thank them for making me feel at home everytime I visit Madrid.

Room Tip: If possible get the upgrade for a junior suite.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank IsabelTM
Las Palmas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

If there is one overriding factor, above all else, that determines whether a hotel is worth it's weight... It's the quality of sleep. At this hotel I didn't sleep. Dragging tables, chairs, other items of furniture over solid floors at 4am is unfair and unfriendly, especially when it's the staff who are doing it. The whole place reminded me of my granma's obsession with kipper tails and long draping curtains, stripy wallpaper and patterned deep-pile carpet. And front-of-house areas are reminiscent of a hunting lodge, complete with old, stuffy, fur coat wearing clientele. During our stay, there was a FNFF function going on downstairs (search for it). Overall, really really bad. The Christmas tree, however, was nice.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank James_in_LPdeGC
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is a place where you are likely to bump into celebrities, politicians and stars even if you stop by for a great haircut or your favorite drink. The property itself needs maintenance as it is an old building but the wonderful staff more than makes up for that. The Reception people, the bar staff, waiters et al are just the best in the business, no question about it. The prices are very reasonable for both, off season and high season. Upper management is always available to discuss the traveler's concerns. The only thing they need to improve to get my five stars is the kitchen staff. Again the waiters and Maitres are superb but the cooks need to do a better job. Stop by for a dring and some appetizers at "El bar del Velazquez" and will go back many times. Oh, now they have great wi-fi which is free for the time being.

Room Tip: Call the Reception desk yourself. Ask for what is available, on line or travle agencies are not so g...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Henry M
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We broke up our trip from Germany to Andalucia with a 2-day stay in Madrid. We tried this hotel for the first time and were really impressed. The staff were really friendly to us and even let our daughter play the piano! (unthinkable in Germany). We had a triple room which was really quiet as it faced the inner courtyard and we had a TV in each room (our daughter loved that ;-). Bearing in mind that a breakfast buffet was included in the price of our triple room, I think it was good value for money (209 Euros/2 nights) and the hotel is located in an upmarket neighbourhood of Madrid, with good connections to Retiro park and other sights. We can certainly recommend this hotel and plan to stay there again next time we go to Madrid. All in all a pleasant family experience.

Room Tip: I should emphasize that this is NOT a family hotel with swimming pool, kiddies room, etc, but the st...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family