“Good hotel”

Ranked #300 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Maryland, US
“Good hotel”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here for a business meeting in June 2013. Very nice hotel...lovely rooms...clean and quiet. Nicely located near Retiro park, and the Castlelano area is classy. Good/expensive shopping, and restaurants. The elevator is located up a flight of stairs, which is inconvenient with luggage. Also, there are single steps up/down in the hotel which are easy to miss.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have read some damning reviews but I cannot agree. There are a couple of obvious problems,
however. First, the elevator begins one flight up, up a narrow staircase, so you must be in good shape or have some help dragging bags up to the elevator. Second, it looks like there are few rooms with outside views, and these cost a good deal more. However, the outside room was a suite, with a balcony over a beautiful street, and it was beautifully appointed--and not that expensive in worldwide perspective--especially for a major world city.
The inside room had one window that opened on an air shaft--facing other such rooms--but it was clean and well-furnished. This room was very reasonable by world standards. You get what you pay for--sometimes.

The location is excellent: a high-class street and easy to get to museums and plazas at center if you can walk.

The staff people were very very helpful (mostly) and patient and if some travelers encountered problems with one or another members of the staff it would be wrong to generalize this to others. Finally, they have a nice restaurant and small bar/lounge. This is a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Pay more and get an outside suite. Pay less and get a quiet and clean adequate room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Avezzano, Italy
Reviewed April 30, 2013

First of all it was the first and last time I make a reservation through booking.com. The site proposed an exceptional offer. After making the booking, in the evening I went on the hotel website and I saw a lower price for the room I booked. I contacted both, hotel and booking, which, instead of answering with a justification, changed their price. The hotel put the price indicated previously by booking.com and booking.com in turn put a lower one. In other words, I had the worst and not the best offer.
I asked the hotel if at least they could confirm the reservation and after sending several emails without receiving any reply from them. The only reply was a transaction made on my credit card. Then I paid three months in advance. Unfortunately they demonstrated their inability from customer care standpoint when I arrived. In the evening I explained them my situation and finally seemed to have found a kind person whom proposed to include breakfast in order to pay a price per person comparable with the one received other friends who made the reservation directly with them . The surprise however was when I got the bill. They recanted everything.
I would only add that even the room service is very bad. After having them noted that there were all the towels in the room they come and put only one (we were two). And so for all four days of stay.
The only good thing at the end has been the position as indicated on their website, It is very close to the metro stop

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Madrid hotels

tashkent
Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you not very choosy and do not like spend all the time in the hotel room but like your hotel in walking distance from the most attractive places in Madrid, you would better choose this hotel. It is only 10 minutes walking distance from great park and Prado Museum, and about 30 minutes from Real Palace. Moreover there is two metro stations close to the hotel. For me it was easy to do shopping, because many boutiques located nearby .
I liked breakfast with wonderful Nespressso coffee and fruit salad.
I did not like the noise outside my room. I like to drink tea or coffee while watching TV, but it was not available at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed for one night before returning home after a holiday in Spain. We wanted a place near Parque del Retiro and this hotel attracted us by the late check out (15:00) rate. On arrival the reception staff was a bit grumpy. Then we found out that we needed to climb a stair to reach the lift. The room looked as it were still in the 1950s. Then we discovered WiFi was not free. The bathroom was ok, outdated but clean. The worst part was the air conditioning. The room had two separate areas, each with a digital A/C control. The room was too hot while the outside temperature was close to 6º C. However we tried to set a comfortable temperature, the air coming from the vents in both sides of the room kept flowing hot. We could not open the window as it faced an interior area Overall, except for the location and low price, I found this hotel under performing, particularly compared with the other places we stayed in that visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
chester le street
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a visit to Madrid in March and stayed in the Gran Hotel Velazquez, it is in a very good location close to all the shopping on Serrano.

The room we had was great it had a separate room with a sofa and desk ideal if you have to work I think it was called a Junior Suite, large bathroom with shower over the bath and twin sinks.

Great choice at breakfast all the usual hot and cold choices.

The hotel also had a great Gin Bar great at the end of the day to relax and unwind, I would stay here again on my next visit to Madrid.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Playa del Rey, California, United States
Reviewed March 15, 2013

No wi-fi in the rooms was a bummer and I couldn't even get my computer to connect in the lobby. TV is small and outdated and i didn't even turn it on since my remote didn't work. The place was clean and the location was pretty good, but not much to set it apart from other places in Madrid.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo