“Perfect location”
Review of Hostal Laris

Hostal Laris
Ranked #402 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We were 1 minute away from the Gran Via and 2 minutes from the metro station. A lot of shops and restaurants around, especially cafe la Luz was a favorite! The rooms are quite noisy though...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 28, 2010

I travelled as Single to Madrid mainly for party and Nightlife.
I always book a double room for two person in order to avoid discussion in case I take someone to my room and I expect from a hotel privacy.
In this hotel, it was not possible. They would start a process of registration and ask my gust an ID.
Second: Internet not only worked poorly, but was censored and blocked not only for adult content websites, but also for chatting/dating websites. I felt like I was in the former Soviet Union or the Poeples Republic of China.
Besides these very personal dislikes, the hotel is not very clean, old, not very good maintained and for the price you can get much better places in Madrid. From the booked 4 nights, I left to another hotel after one and still wait for the refund of the other three nights.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Francesco V
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We arrived late Friday night and were told there was a problem with our room, althought we had validated our booking the day before. We were mooved to a lesser quality hotel, thus not being with our friends. The hotel was even smaller (no air con, no bath tub ect)but cheaper. But Laris Hotel debited the full price from my credit card without asking. And they won't hear about a partial refund.
It is to easy to overbook the hotel and then move people around to cheaper places.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Vince02
Reviewed June 24, 2010

We stayed at the Laris as it was the only room we could find for the Saturday of the EU football finals in Madrid. We paid over $200 US for a dingy room that, fortunately, was missing the dragon. The neighborhood left a lot to be desired, but the Laris is pretty well situated if you want to be in the center of Madrid - which we did. The desk clerk was polite and helpful and I didn't feel like I wasn't safe in the hotel. But, given a choice, I would not stay here again--even though the normal rates are quite reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank winniec1
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Laris for our first 2 nights in Madrid and could not wait to leave. We booked using hotels.com so we got a good deal, but I would have been extremely annoyed if we'd paid full price.
Whilst the location looks great on a map, in reality there are prostitutes everywhere and as soon as you step out of the hotel you can smell urine (we actually saw several people urinating in the street: under cars, against walls, in doorways - you name it). There is also a lot of grafitti, but this is true of Madrid as a whole.
The hotel itself also had a funny smell in reception, not quite sure what it was. It smelt like some kind of cleaning product which should be a good thing but it was very overpowering and gave me a headache whenever we passed through!
Our room and the corridors were also very scruffy (lots of peeling paint etc.): this hotel is in serious need of doing up. I would certainly not say it is a 3 star - this rating was obviously awarded to the hotel a while ago. Also, there were no English channels on the TV. The only bonus was that our room was very big.
The biggest problem we encountered was that despite booking a double room we were allocated a twin; when we asked to move we were told that there were no double rooms left. The staff weren't very helpful, in fact they were quite abrupt and rude.
I'm sure there are worse places to stay but I would definitely not return to the Laris.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Choufleur1985
Reviewed July 15, 2008

This "hostal" was MUCH worse than I could have ever imagined! The location may have been "close to" the Gran Via; however, you had to walk down dark, alley-like streets filled with hookers, drug deals being made, suspicious people walking around. The TAXIS don't even want to go there. The police stopped us as soon as we arrived to tell us there were hookers, drugs, a BAD pickpocket problem, and theft of all types.

The lobby is TINY and the elevator is only large enough for 1 person plus luggage at a time! The rooms were dingy, stuffy (and they refused to turn on the air conditioning), the walls were dirty, and I did not want to even try the bedding! One of our rooms had an odor of urine, and on the first floor, you could not open your window for fresh air because of the danger of theft / break-ins. We moved out the same night we checked in, because it was so awful -- and the hotel refused any sort of refund at all.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank newcombgirl84
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I stayed in the Hotel Laris for 1 night for business in Madrid in May 2008. The hotel is fairly grotty - as mentioned previously, the location for the metro is fine, but there are many prostitutes and drug dealers hanging around. As a single female traveller returning back to the hotel after an evening meal at midnight, it's not the most pleasant experience. The hotel has absolutely no business facilities.

However, once the hotel realised that I was popping in and out to / from appointments, they were happy to help me book taxis and even use the breakfast room to work. They spoke next to no English.

This hotel is probably fine for a budget weekend away when you spend no time in it, but it did not particularly serve my needs. The rooms are basic and the bathrooms a true tribute to the 70s. My window opened out onto a central courtyard where the sound of everyone opening / closing their blinds echoed around.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Voyager2005