“Very pleasant stay in Madrid”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Urban

Hotel Urban
Ranked #18 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
“Very pleasant stay in Madrid”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I enjoyed my recent stay in the Urban Hotel. The location is excellent - 5 minutes from Sol, and just a short walk to the Retiro. The hotel is very nice and the reception staff couldn't have been nicer. I had booked one of the Duplex rooms with a small living room upstairs from the main bedroom. There were two disadvantages of this room: 1) small windows which didn't let in a huge amount of light and 2) reduced space for working at a desk. There were skylights which helped, but there wasn't much of a view out of them. I spoke to reception and a very pleasant man took me round every type of room in the hotel. I decided to stick with my room but if I return I'd be more likely to go for a Junior Suite or a standard room where there seems to be more of a desk for working.

The room itself was clean, comfortable and nicely designed. I never ate in the hotel so can't comment, but there are many restaurants and cafeterías around for breakfast or dinner. In addition to many tapas restaurants I also ate at the Italian restaurant just a few doors along - "DiBocca" I think - and it was excellent.

The only negative point of my visit - and what stops me from giving the hotel a 5* rating - was the speed of the internet. The hotel offers free internet but it seems that is just for basic browsing. I opted to pay 25€ for three days' access to "high speed internet", VPN, fast downloads etc. However, the speed was exceptionally slow: between 1-1.5mbps down and only around 0.1 up. If I'm in a hotel for business purposes I need fast internet for both downloads and uploads related to my job. This internet connection made my day-to-day working very difficult and I grudged paying 25€. I mentioned this on check-out and I was told to leave a review on TripAdvisor mentioning this.

Other than the internet, I was overall very pleased with the hotel. I will be back in Madrid on business a number of times over the next year and would happily stay at the Urban again if they can improve their internet speed.

Room Tip: Perhaps avoid the duplex rooms if you suffer from vertigo or if you want a bright room with a good v...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravellingScot12
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at Urban

All kind of comments help us a lot to progress.

Regarding your comment on internet connection. I would really like to show you our improvements so if you travel back to Madrid and you choose Urban again
I kindly ask to contact me in order to be able to assist you personally.

Best regards

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

When staying in Madrid, this is our only choice!
We have stayed at the Urban several times and we wouldn't ever consider another hotel. The situation is perfect...close to the Museums( walking distance) and the service is excellent. It is truly a little gem. The architecture quite remarkable as is the collection of Asian and African artifacts/antiques that make the hotel a museum in itself!

Room Tip: The rooms are small so if you want good space, you need a Junior Suite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Golf-a-go-go
Dear Guest,

Thanks you very much for the kind feedback. We are really glad to hear that you loved our location, your room and the service provided.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Patricia at the front desk was like the best concierge, local guide, local friend and fairy godmother rolled into one. She took excellent care of us throughout our stay. The entire staff at The Hotel Urban was exceptional. The daily breakfast buffet was delicious, the rooms are cozy & clean --we felt immediately at home and well cared for the moment we arrived. Also the Hotel "Glass Bar" was always open and available whether for coffee, snax or champagne and the bartender is a real mixologist. We always enjoyed coming back to the hotel after long days and hrs of wandering the city. Madrid was rainy and dreary in March and yet we had a wonderful 5 days largely due to how much we loved The Hotel Urban and the staff. I highly recommend it and I will definitely look to stay in a Derby Hotel property again.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice comments. We do really appreciate.

We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay at Urban hotel.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon,

Kind regards,

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Chic,cool haven from the heat of Madrid.

Found Madrid great value however not prepared for the begging, cafe owners appeared to tolerate begging at table.

Wonderful to return to dark, cool rooms after a day on the streets.

• Stayed August 2012
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting such a good comment about the service and in general about the hotel.

All the staff is happy to read we are doing a good job and we have made you feel comfortable in your stay at hotel .

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

First time in Madrid, could not have chosen a better location. The hotel was not so busy so we were kindly upgraded to a small suite. The rooms were clean and modern. The staff were extremely helpful. Special mention about the restaurant / bar manager Adrian who was one of the most professional staff members we came across during our entire trip. He went way beyond the call of duty to make sure we had everything we needed. Good luck in the future dear friend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David D
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest.

First of all, I would like to thank you for expressing your opinions
About the services of our hotel during your stay.

The opinion of our clients is extremely important to us, as it makes us
Improve our services continually.

I thank you once more for your collaboration. I stay at your disposal.

I would like to have the opportunity to meet you in a future visit. I will
Personally make sure it is pleasant for you.

Yours sincerely,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hotel is perfectly placed in Madrid for a weekend visit. Everything you want to see and do is in walking distance. The staff are very professional and polite. We had a great stay here. The rooms are very modern and very clean. The Glass Bar on the ground floor is expensive but makes for a nice starting point on a night out. It is very popular so get in there early. I would love to go back in the summer when the pool area is open. One word of caution, the breakfast is VERY expensive and not very exciting considering what you could get for much less in Madrid. Solid 4* hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Good location, very friendly staff, nice rooms. But I expected more...

The internet wi-fi was only for 24 h before you had to renew it and the speed was, well, not speedy at all.

Very expencive breakfast. Not worth the money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest:

In the first instance, I want to thank you for expressing us your observations about the services of our Hotel during your stay.

The opinion of our clients is extremely important to us, as it makes us to improve our services continually. I can assure you that we will endeavour to improve matters as quickly as we can.

I would like to inform you that the hotel has cable connection free in all rooms.

We have also a hospitality desk available free of charge for our customers during 24 hours.

Also you have wifi connection free during 90 minutes per day.

I sincerely hope that your next stay at the our hotel will be extremely pleasant, I will personally take care to ensure it.

I remain at your entire disposal.
Yours sincerely,