“Definitely not a 5 star hotel.”
Review of Hotel Urban

Hotel Urban
Ranked #24 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We booked to stay 3 nights mid February at the Urban Hotel Madrid. We caught the train from the airport, changing a couple of times before getting of at Sol Station. From here its a short walk to the hotel (8 minutes). The location of the hotel therefore is quite good. Within walking distance of all the sights - Prado Museum, Gran via, Palace etc.

The facade of the hotel is very nice, and very modern. The reception and corridor areas are styled as a upmarket museum with artworks and stuff around the place. Check in was easy and the desk staff were nice. The door staff were never very attentive and always seemed deep in conversation with each other.

The room we had was on level 5. We requested a non smoking room. The room was ok, however the rest of the level smelt awful, very smokey. Almost as if someone was having a barbecue. The room itself was small - very small, with extremely low ceilings. It had a modern style to it, however it was worn, old, and quite tacky. Very dark, and everything was showing its age. The design of the room was also poor, especially the cupboards, its impossible to even explain how impossible it was to open the cupboard doors yet alone store things in there. We skipped on the breakfast as it was ridiculously priced. The location of our room on the street was also EXTREMELY noisy. This didnt bother us so much but many people it would.

The fitness centre - A TOTAL JOKE. A room with a treadmill and a bike in it and that is it.

Internet - another ridiculous aspect of this so called 5 star hotel. Yes it is "free" but it is so slow it takes minutes to load a page, and it also does not allow access to things such as email servers, applications etc. I ended up paying 25 euro for a higher speed connection that would allow me to do basic things. This is not how a 5 star hotel should operate. Ridiculous.

Overall the hotel is an extremely average place. Trying to be cool, but with no idea. It was not particularly cheap, and it rates itself as 5 star. I am not normally so negative, yet this place left such a sour taste in my mouth. Probably because its saying that is is something it clearly isn't.

Avoid - there must be better in Madrid for this price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alexander R
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Urban, thank you for taking the time to complete the recent Trip Advisor Review. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and we appreciated receiving your feedback.

First of all,. I have shared your comments with the entire team at the Hotel Urban. We have immediately implemented procedures to ensure to improve all the points you mentioned. We are actively pursuing corrective measures so that you will have a better experience, should you give us the chance to earn your future business. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we use the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

I would also appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in additional detail. Please call me directly at your earliest convenience and I look forward to speaking to you so this matter can be settled to your satisfaction. I can also be reached via email as well if that is more convenient.

At Hotel Urban hospitality we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

At your Service,

Antonio Martin

There are newer reviews for Hotel Urban

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Good location, friendly staff with, very clean room including bath and good services.

Internet wi-fi only for 24 hours and not speed as 5 * hotels.
Room ground needs refurbishment.
Expensive breakfast for £24, you can have a buffet breakfast few minutes away from hotel for just £8.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank Mohammed I
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Me and my husband stayed here for 3 nights. The service is brilliant; the staffs are very very helpful. Its a fantastic location as its about 5-10 min walk away from the main town centre. The decor in and around the hotel is dark and dingy but modern and clean. I have rated it as average as it is very very dark in the rooms. The rooms are very small and the bathroom wasn’t spacious either. The room was not big enough to cater for 2 people. Breakfast was overpriced (we had to order from the menu as they didn’t cater for vegetarians in the buffet).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicky C

Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Urban for the second time this past weekend. We loved the location -- walkable to literally everything you might want to see. The best thing, though, is the customer service. For example, I asked the front desk staff to help me reserve a table at a restaurant in town. When they found out that the restaurant had no availability at all that entire weekend, they found an alternative owned by the same chef and got us a table there. Another example: the manager overheard me say something about my husband's birthday and later that evening, we received ice cream and cake and a bottle of champagne! The rooms are clean, comfy, modern and quiet. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michele R
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Suprising friendly, Suprising Upgrade, just perfect! We were in Madrid for one Night, therefore the location was also very important. Location is great as well. Breakfast is a little bit high priced but worth it. Even in the Evening there was a great Event in Bar located in the hotel. A very good recommondation for Madrid. Price for Rooms is ok, I've seen much higher Prices for less. Last but not least, there is a nice rooftop bar with pool - enjoy.

Room Tip: very friendly, Breakfast high priced but worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Uazzz
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting such a good comment about the service and in general about the hotel.

All the staff is happy to read we are doing a good job and we have made you feel comfortable in your stay at hotel .

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location right next to Puerta del Sol, utterly trendy decor - intentionally and seriously kitschy, thus definitely not for all tastes, but I just loved it - and superb service at the front desk. The ground floor bar is really nice, though surprisingly small. The rooms could indeed be bigger (don't know about the suites as we did not get a glimpse of those). And the complaints from some other reviewer regarding the doors applied 100 % to our room as well; the bathroom door and the inner door of the room are constantly making noise when used as they are seemingly not in perfect shape. So a small renovation could be a good idea.

Also the room was not as sound proof as someone might hope for. Especially when located close to the elevator as we were, the sound of people talking in the hallway entered the room pretty loud and clear at times.

Another tiny glitch were the cigarette burns in the curtains in the room. There were only a few holes, but still, at 5 stars you would not expect to find something like that.

Everyone should also know that the room called 'gym' on the rooftop of this hotel is very tiny, with only two machines and a bench for lifting weights. This was not an issue during the Christmas time as it seemed that hardly anyone was using it but us. One thing to point out in relation to this during the coldest winter months is the steam room in conjunction with the gym. In theory the room warms up quickly, but the rocky benches remain ice cold. So it ain't that adviceable to try and use it in case the outdoor temperature is low.

Otherwise just loved the rooftop terrace, even if the bar there is closed for the winter months.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank GoreTrotter

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were group of 20 people from office, visiting Madrid for our annual industry exhibition. The hotel was booked by our travel agent saying best place to be in city centre.

Indeed the hotel's best thing is its location, walkable distance to every citi centre attraction and night life.

But that's it.....the rooms were such that it made me feel claustrophic, poor lighting. The worst thing was Gym, I decided to hit the gym at 6 AM one day and to my surprise the staff says it opens only at 9 AM (whoa......what a suprprise)

Except the reception staff other staff was a bit high headed. May be just my perceptions.

Positives
- Location
- Nice Bathroom with shower and batch tub sections differentiated, large wash basin with artistic floor
- Nice Bar at the receptions area
- Decent Breakfast (routine and monotonous though, ate same things for 3 days of our stay)

Negatives
- Claustrophobic rooms
- Wired internet (we are in Europe, where is Wifi?)
- Gym (Opens only at 9 AM)

Not business traveller friendly at all and the rates are too high compared to services.

Room Tip: Chose front or side rooms, back side rooms make you feel you are in some closed n dark place in pris...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank BDPharma
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

At your Service,