WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Urban

Hotel Urban
Ranked #21 of 446 Hotels in Madrid
Portland, Oregon
“Great Hotel, great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here for about 10 days while in town for work. The front desk was extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms were very nice as well. I had a duplex with a nice loft. The gym is a bit small but it has what I needed. The only negative comment I have is that the hallways smell of incense and it is a bit too strong of a smell for my liking. Everything else was amazing. The food, the location, the service. Even the doorman at the entrance was super helpful and gave us great suggestions. The location, again, was the best. So close to everything for a first time visitor.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting such a good comment about the service and in general about the hotel.

The staff is always happy to read we are doing a good job and we have made you feel comfortable in your stay at hotel .

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I enjoyed walking around the art galleries and sights and using this as a comfortable base. We had a split level room which gave a feeling of space and luxury with an upstairs living room. Everyone was friendly and helpful and ate room service breakfast and dinner was fantastic.
We are fans of the modern contemporary design le so it fitted our tastes very well.
Uber cool and luxerous and no problems sleepng with sensible blackout blinds and comfortable level of heat of room in which to sleep. The bathroom was a tad small but on the whole very good.It was a great base and would tell my friends about it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DireccionDerbyHotels, subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, November 20, 2012

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Urban Hotel in Madrid is undoubtedly a stylish hotel, well-located in the centre of Madrid. The hotel is relatively modern, built around a 6-storey atrium. Lots of dark timber and fascinating ornaments give the hotel a chic and stylish feel. The hotel bar is also a great place to hang out, and seems to attract a cool crowd. Breakfast was good, with made-to-order hot dishes to supplement the typical European buffer of fruits and cheeses. All sounds good so far? Unfortunately, you choose a hotel for the rooms, which in this case are small, and an example of style given priority over comfort. There was limited desk space, and a rather uncomfy bench rather than a chair to sit on. The cupboard had a nifty bi-fold door, which was a clever design but while open made one side of the bed inaccessible. The dark timber fittings are also beginning to show their age, meaning the room did not have a particularly warm or welcoming feel to it. Would I stay here again? Probably for a short stay, it would be OK. But I think for more than a few nights I'd look for something else.

Dear Guest.

First of all, I would like to thank you for expressing your opinions about the services of our hotel during your stay.

I would like to inform you that your case was an exceptional situation. Your opinion is extremely important to us, as it makes us improve our services continually. We have therefore taken the necessary measures.

The hotel is in constant renewal so we hope that you find everything pleasant in your next stay. I thank you once more for your collaboration. I stay at your disposal.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here in November. Here is what I think:

Positive:
- Friendly personell;
- Clean rooms;
- Super location;
- Beds firm and in good condition.

Negative:
- Small rooms;
- View non-existant (my room was facing the emergency staircase);
- Smells of incense sticks;
- Breakfast selection disappointing (no regional specialties, no warm stuff - you need to know what to ask for);
- WiFi 90 minutes free per day; free internet connection with cable; otherwise quite pricey.

My recommendations:
- If you bring your computer, ask for a cable at the reception;
- Have breakfast outside of the hotel in any of the nice little coffee shops/bars;
- Taxi from the Airport is around 25 EUR.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view.

Palma de Mallorca, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Very nice hotel, perfect located for a sightseeing trip to Madrid and probably also for a business stay. The rooms are small, typical for a Derby Hotel (at least what I saw!), but very clean, modern and stylish. The breakfast is spanish light. The bar is small, but a good place after a soccer game (Real Madrid e.g.) or a shopping tour. Just ask for an extra blanket in autumn and winter!!!
We didn`t try the restaurant. But we got a good recommendation for a lunch nearby, El Rincon de Esteban, Santa Catalina, 3 enjoy (even better in the evening)! We would come back to the Urban, also with our kids!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roger S

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

THis hotel has a "5 star Grand Luxe" rating so you would expect to pay top $$. However we pre booked it for 5 nights on their internet site and the average for each night was around $250 per room. Imagine what you would pay in London or Paris or Sydney etc. At least double that amount. It is a very modern purpose built hotel. All glass and steel with ancient artifacts for decoration. The service all round was very good. Before venturing out each night for dinner we would have a drink in the glass bar. The staff there could not be friendlier and more helpful if they tried. Great atmosphere. We paid extra for the breakfast but got it discounted because we prepaid on arrival for breakfast each day of the stay. And it was an excellent buffet breakfast. They also did cooked breakfasts to order so no dreaded bain maire. The rooms are great for sleeping. Comfortable and quiet. Good value indeed. Maybe showing wear and tear a little but which hotel isn't. Only criticism is paying for wifi as a guest. You get some time free each day but really......... in the 21st century?

Room Tip: Their standard rooms are very adequate. Good size with all the amentities you need.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, November 10, 2012