“Urban chic, rooftop indulgence!”
Review of Hotel Urban

Hotel Urban
Ranked #18 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
London
“Urban chic, rooftop indulgence!”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights and cannot recommend highly enough. Impeccable front of house service from the moment we arrived, and throughout our long weekend. Reception staff have superb knowledge of local eateries, bars, shopping areas etc. This is 5 star boutique chic and no mistake. Glass lifts to all floors overlooking the atrium. Champagne on arrival? Thanks very much, we'll take our drinks on the rooftop in incredibly hip surroundings. Follow it up with a mojito you say? Just keep pouring! Try and get a duplex room if you can, they are worth the extra space. The Glass Bar epitomises the clientele of the hotel, so mix it up with the beautiful people if you want. Plenty of Spanish restaurants and bars and Plazas in walking distance so take full advantage. Would certainly go back again. Superb.

Room Tip: Get a Duplex Room or Suite if you can - only 1 floor up to the rooftop pool and bar!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear Sir.

Felix García Hernán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The hotel is well-located ... just a step away from the heart of all the museums and city sights, but not right in the middle of the tourist traffic.

Great designer hotel. The property is beautiful. The rooms, however, are very small but well equipped and comfortable.

The service wasn't great. No smiles -- just officious receptionist doing their job. Sometimes they try to make you feel that the hotel is a little too cool for you. The only welcome you get is the doorman greeting you with a nod as you walk in through the doors.

The pool and roof top terrace is nice, to sit around and sip a cocktail. Not really big enough for a swim -- it's more like a giant bath tub than a pool. Great views though from above.

All in all -- great property in a great location, spoilt by uninviting staff.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank craig_ng
On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Urban, thank you for taking the time to complete the recent Trip Advisor Review. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and we appreciated receiving your feedback.

First of all,. I have shared your comments with the entire team at the Hotel Urban. We have immediately implemented procedures to ensure to improve all the points you mentioned. We are actively pursuing corrective measures so that you will have a better experience, should you give us the chance to earn your future business. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we use the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

I would also appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in additional detail. Please call me directly at your earliest convenience and I look forward to speaking to you so this matter can be settled to your satisfaction. I can also be reached via email as well if that is more convenient.

At Hotel Urban hospitality we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

At your Service,

Felix garcia
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights. Hotel is perfectly located if you like to wander on foot during your vacations. Furthest tourist sight was probably the Royal Palace and that was only a 15-20 min walk. It's rated as a 5-star hotel and I'd say it's realistically a 4 to 4.5 star hotel by North American standards. It had a good design, very unique, but in terms of the ultra luxury that one would expect from a 5-star it just missed the mark by a hair. Bed and pillows were a bit on the hard side. Room was kind of small but I've grown to expect that of european hotels. Also, in this day and age of smartphones, iPads, laptops, etc. I dont think any hotel should be able to call itself 5-star without offering free wi-fi in the rooms. You lose half a star in my books just for that. We had a room on the 4th floor in the back of the hotel facing the side street and it was very quiet. With the super dark blackout curtains it was a deadly combination for sleeping in, which isn't necessarily a bad thing on vacation. If you have an early flight or train to catch make sure you keep the blinds open a crack.
Great rooftop bar for a drink before you head out for dinner. They have a pool up there but it's more of a floating pool than swimming pool given it's size.
We were debating between Urban and the ME by Melia around the corner and were happy with our choice. The ME is in a very lively square and you'd never get any sleep. Unless that's what you're looking for.
All in all it is a very good hotel and if we travelled to Madrid again, we'd definitely consider staying there again.

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a higher floor on the side street. Less of a view on the side but there...
1 Thank haga888
Dear Sir.

West Sussex
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Fantastic service and great location. However standard rooms although very well decorated are a little small, especially the bathrooms.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2011

For the extremely high price we paid and a five star grand luxe hotel, the room was disappointingly small and a little bit tired.The bathroom generally was in need of a deep clean or even renewal.

1 Thank David P
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear Sirs:

In the first instance, I want to thank you for expressing us your observations about the services of our Hotel during your stay.

The opinion of our clients is extremely important to us, as it makes us to improve our services continually. I can assure you that we will endeavour to improve matters as quickly as we can.

I sincerely hope that your next stay at the our hotel will be extremely pleasant, I will personally take care to ensure it. Besides, you will be upgraded to one of our Suites.

Félix García
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This is not a cookie cutter hotel. It has its own distinctive look and style.
Great location.
The guest rooms are small. The desk is not terribly comfortable for working.
But I love the decor, it is not boring.

The downstairs bar and rooftop lounge have quite stunning decor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, September 19, 2011

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Wonderful Hotel. Great room. We had a private reception on the roof terrace and it was handled so well and so professionally by the hotel staff that everyone commented on the level of service.
We will return-soon

Room Tip: avoid 5th floor windows are strange.