“Watch out”

Ranked #257 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Vermont
“Watch out”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We booked this hotel based on their location, which is excellent, and pictures of rooms on their website. Unfortunately, we were given a dark dreary hole of a room. The "window" looked out on a ventilation shaft. The security gate was broken. Curtains had to be kept closed anyway as opposite window was only a few feet away. We were told that since the hotel was full they had no other room for us .... Even though we'd booked months ahead. Apparently, it's first come, first served, no matter what you book.
To the hotel: at least redecorate this room (107) with bright pastels and reduce the price for it. You could also switch the desk and armoire locations to improve at least the illusion of having a window.
Internet was excellent.

Room Tip: You take your chances.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VermontGrannie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Tiburon, California
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Right off the Plaza Mayor and easy walk to Puerta Del Sol. Our room was clean and fairly large by European standards. Bathroom was large and modern, very clean. We had the room with the window right behind the flags so we had a nice view of the square that leads to the Plaza Mayor. Hotel staff was so nice and very helpful. Breakfast was simple but very good and fresh. Could have as much coffee as I like. Excellent value hotel for Madrid. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Suzanne J
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 22, 2013

There is nothing to rave about at this hotel per se, and that is probably part of its charm and the reason it remains affordable in such a fantastic location. It is simply a clean, well-maintained, affordable establishment with an accommodating staff in the city's perfect location.

I opted for a superior room, and it was well worth a few extra euro, as it put me in the corner of the second floor (third story), facing the intersection in front. That said, it is not a heavily trafficked intersection, so noise was never an issue. Just a lot of great light, with it's floor-to-ceiling windows. The décor is very simple and modern, so what it may lack in character or charm it more than makes up for in efficiency and comfort. I had plenty of space to move around in the corner unit, with a king bed and writing desk. And the wireless signal was strong and reliable. Very clean WC, the shower with good pressure and hot water; all of the necessary amenities provided.

The staff is very friendly, and all appeared to be English-proficient. As I arrived well before check-in time, I was offered early check in for a small fee (a most welcome offer, following a 12-hour commute from Lisbon).

The breakfast buffet provides something for everyone, and the vending machine in the lobby has beer. (Beer can be placed on the window sill to keep chilled during the Spanish autumn, but you didn't hear that from me.)

And this place is where you want to be, mere steps from Plaza Mayor (of course), and a few blocks from Puerta del Sol, from where you can catch a train to pretty much anywhere in the region. It is walking distance from most of the tourist destinations, and the area is rife with bars and restaurants -- including the world's oldest!

Room Tip: The superior rooms are, well, roomy! And a corner unit will provide you with a lot of window, but be...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank rwckennedy
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This is a must stay hotel. The location is excellent but the most important aspect of this business is the staff who try to make the stay as good as it can be. I had a wonderful stay for 3 days at the Hotel Plaza Mayor and would recommend it to any traveller.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Oztraveller998
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Tiny room with double bed.
Can barely get around the bed which kept sliding around.
The biggest problem with my room, and i suspect most others, is that the only heat in the room comes from the a/c conduit near the ceiling! No matter how high the heat, you create a cool draft around bed level where one spends most of the time in the room...And, of course, the otherwise new bathroom is compromised.
Madrid has many cold days, like this time starting in late Fall. This problem really needs to be rectified.
Poor light for reading.

Room Tip: If you need some heat in your room, choose another hotel. Otherwise the top floor rear is better.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank John S
L-Iklin,Malta
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Very central and within walking distance to most places, lot's of restaurants in the area. It's situated in a quite area just off plaza mayor. We found it to be quite cosy and comfy, The hotel rooms were clean and we had a street view. Very nice friendly staff. The breakfast was also very good.

Room Tip: We chose two single bed room smoking.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DanicaFalzon
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The hotel is very centrally located, and we could walk to most attraction places - gran via, puerta del sol, San Miguel etc. it's close proximity to puerta del sol and plaza mayor makes it really convenient and shops close much later so there is no problem in getting a late dinner. There is a small Chinese provision shop along the street infront of the hotel (can check with the front desk), but we got our water and snacks from a supermarket near San Miguel. From sol, can take the metro to almost everywhere with ease.

This guy at the front desk who checked me in and out was really cheery and friendly. I got a corner Room on the 4th floor and it was spacious and clean with daily housekeeping service. They have a new laundry service available (chargeable by number of pieces), otherwise can just go to this laundry shop at calle no. 7 - one wash at €4, €1 if dryer is required. Each wash is about 30 mins.

I booked an airport transfer from hotel to airport via aerocity and read some reviews that some travellers were not picked up for their transfer and had to get a cab instead. Being afraid that the same thing will happen, I tried to ask the front desk (a lady) to help me to call aerocity and confirm but she told me it's not necessary or I can call myself in the room (I thought it will be easier for her since I don't speak Spanish). The same happened when I checked with the friendly guy, so I suppose they feel that there is nothing wrong with aerocity service. Lucky for me, the service came and picked me up just slightly after the stipulated timing.

Overall, good hotel in central location and very affordable. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2013