“Good with some annoyances”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Plaza Mayor

Hotel Plaza Mayor
Ranked #269 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
San Jose, California
“Good with some annoyances”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

You can't beat this location--right next to the Plaza Santa Cruz, which backs up to the Plaza Mayor. We could easily walk to anywhere we wanted to go. Our room was at the front and with the three large windows we had a great view of the Plaza Santa Cruz--but it was noisy at night. Our air conditioning barely worked (I think it was an old unit--could use updating), and our bathroom door didn't close all the way. And the hotel allows smoking, and even though we were on a non-smoking floor our entire hallway still smelled like cigarettes, which is always a problem for me. The staff was very moody: The afternoon woman wasn't friendly at all when she checked us in, but when we saw her for the next couple of days she was. The morning woman was helpful but really spacy. If you're willing to overlook some of these minor issues, this would be a decent place to stay.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Beauvais, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I spent three nights here in April 2012. The location is excellent and within easy walking distance of all major attractions if one is used to walking (as we are). We followed the advice of another Tripadvisor reviewer and requested a room facing onto the side street rather than one facing the noisier Plaza. This was good advice and we heard no noise from the street. We were, however disturbed by the loud snoring from the occupant in the adjacent room - the walls are not particularly sound proof. Another minus for our room was that the flat-screen television was mounted on the wall next to the bed - meaning that one could not watch the tv comfortably from the bed (the image was like a photographic negative if you watched the tv from there). Regardless, the room and en-suite bathroom were clean and the bed comfortable. One gets what one pays for and give the reasonable price I would recommend this hotel. But don't expect anything fancy nor any extras. One morning we arrived for breakfast just in time to take the last available free table, two couple arriving just after ourselves had to wait until a table became free. Reasonable choice for breakfast. variable experiences with the staff - the young man who was on night-shift during our staff was most helpful, but both the man on duty just before him and the young lady who was on duty for the morning shift were fairly surly and unhelpful. One morning I came down to reception to borrow a hairdrier for my wife (as was specified one should do in the explanatory manual in the room) - the young lady made me wait a minutes or two before deigning to look up to ask how she could help, and virtually threw the hairdrier at me with very bad grace. Similar ungracious service from the afternoon receptionist when we requested that he book us a taxi to the airport for very early on the morning we were due to leave. I think he actually expected me to call the taxi company myself - but fortunately the friendly young man on night shift arrived at that moment and assured us that he would make the reservation straight away. The taxi was there as promised at the correct time, so he obviously kept his word.
These were realtively minor issues - you can't do better in terms of location and overall our experience was fairly positive

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WorldwideAtraveller
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Loved this hotel. My friend referred me as she stayed here last year. We booked a bit late as our plans had changed and the hotel was very accommodating with our dates. They offered us the suite since it was available and it was worth the upgrade with a deck and much larger room. The front desk staff was helpful with directions and especially when we needed a cab at 4 a.m. Comfortable bed and very clean room. Location across the square from Plaza Mayor was great. Everything was so walkable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shannon K
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Right next to Plaza Mayor and 5 minutes (carrying luggage) from Metro Station Puerta del Sol, Hotel Plaza Mayor is a very decent choice of accommodation in the heart of Madrid. Receptionist though friendly didn't bother to help me with my luggage (but this seems to be the case in most hotels around Spain, even 4*). My room looked to an interior patio or air shaft and was surprisingly quiet considering that the hotel is located in the heart of Madrid on a very busy street. Everything was tastefully designed, yet both bedroom and bathroom reminded me of ship cabins - not even enough space to fully open my suitcase. Value for money? Not really, if you want to stay a bit longer in Madrid, as the city center is full of hostels that offer the same comfort, potentially more spacious rooms, to a lower price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RexTsatsaroglou
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

The Hotel Plaza Mayor is in a good location, near the Plaza itself, the tapas bars in the Latin Quarter, the metro and Puerta Del Sol. The staff were all very nice and helpful with directions and recommendations. They have storage for luggage so you can enjoy more time in Madrid on a travel day. The rooms were fine, nothing wonderful, but clean with good bathrooms. We did enjoy our stay overall.

Room Tip: If possible, get a room away from the street. The noise of the night doesn't mellow until about...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sgflorida
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Super location, fabulous restaurants, metro station and sightseeing within walking distance all around.
The WiFi is spotty, and keeps going off, but there is a networked laptop in the room, so internet is always available.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor, overlooking the street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank daraius
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

OUR STAY: End of May thru mid JUNE (2 senior citizens and a mid 30s adult--me)
****************************************************
-- THE CONCISE VERSION --
LOOOOVED IT HERE. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!! THE STAFF AND ROOM ROCKS!!! AND HERE I GOT THE BEST SLEEP IN SPAIN!!
****************************************************
-- DETAILED VERSION --

* PEOPLE/ SERVICE:
ONE OF THE BEST THINGS ABOUT THIS PLACE!!!!
Yes, Location too, but OMG... All 4 of the clerks (2 men and 2 women) and room service (2 women) and the kitchen lady were ALL AWESOME!! SUPER helpful and SUPER friendly. Even when I screwed up and didn't have a converter and blew a fuse in the room at the very beginning =oS (Ooops!) (I hadn't traveled to Europe in a looooooooong time and there was some confusion about the "converters" my friend had given me). But they were all so helpful.... They lended me the adapters I needed and was able to charge all my stuff downstairs, which was nicer than being stuck in a room anyway. Nice to see Madrid life pass by the windows as you're chillin' out on the tables downstairs surfing the net (also enjoyed this at breakfast. LOVED IT!). So I got to know them while charging my stuff. SUPER NICE PEOPLE. ....We stayed at a pricier, more upscale hotel in Barcelona a few days and all 3 of us couldn't wait to go back to Madrid to *THIS* hotel. Not that they weren't nice over there, but it was nice to go back somewhere where it felt cozy & homey thanks to the helpful and smiling staff who seemed interested in our stay and vacation. THIS PLACE JUST WON OUR HEARTS!!

* LOCATION:
It is a few steps from PLAZA MAYOR where you can always go and shop or get a meal. We ate most of our meals at this plaza (AND on one of its side streets is where we had one of our best sangrias!!). It is also about a block away from PUERTA DEL SOL (note: they don't go by blocks in Spain). At Puerta del Sol you can get anywhere. There's a metro and a faster train called Renfe rt below the metro, which goes further out into Greater Madrid. But if you're taking taxis, they also stop/pass by literally in front of the hotel (bus also stops nearly in front of the hotel, but I never rode it). We loved the location and there's a bank rt across the street for secure ATM access (inside) and there's one outside too. There's an internet/phone call place nearby (oh but calls are inexpensive at the hotel too!!) I felt safe walking back to the hotel late at night by myself. GREAT LOCATION!!!

* INTERNET:
It worked, but was down for a few moments every now and then. I found this to be the case at both hotels in Spain... wonder if it's just the internet service there? It wasn't bad and was back on very quickly (a few mins, if even that). Service in the lobby seemed steadier. Think I heard it may also have to do with the room location too --being at the end and all may have had an effect, but I just preferred the feel of downstairs anyway.

* ELEVATOR:
You do have to go up a few steps to get to the tiny elevator (we were on the newly renovated first floor) and then once on the 1st floor there were several more to go up (maybe another 4?) TOTALLY doable even for the senior citizen I was with who had some back/walking issues.

* ROOM:
Tiny, in comparison to what I'm used to in the U.S. but apparently that was pretty avg there. We had a triple single bed room which was at the very end of this fun labyrinth hallway. We had a balcony to which our doors DID open and in fact were OPEN when we'd arrive almost every day. So we got some fresh air while we were out and then closed them for some refreshing AC. I LOVED the setup of the room bc there was a snorer in the group and I'm a light sleeper so I got the bed that was alone and the head of the bed was opposite of the direction of theirs so I was actually able to sleep soundly. (Not the case at another hotel where all 3 beds were side by side. :S Rough nights!)

* AIR CONDITIONING:
My room had AIR-CONDITIONING!!! YEY!! It worked FANTASTICALLY (better than the other hotel I stayed in while in Barcelona which was way more expensive). Had great air flow and force. We slept wonderfully at night.

* BATHROOM:
Interesting double doors to the shower. GREAT flow, almost too strong, but that's something you can control and the showerhead moved to whichever position you wanted - although I figured that out later on. =o) AND... it had an exhaust fan, which let me tell you... helps when you're sharing a bathroom amongst 3 people!! (The upscale hotel in Barcelona didn't have one. Scary stuff!)

* BREAKFAST:
The breakfast, if you can get it included with your deal thx to a handy guidebook, is awesome and well worth it as otherwise food elsewhere can add up rather quickly. But you're getting the same thing every morning, which can be tedious if you're there for a while, which we were for about 2 wks. They had on avg. cheeses, hams, some fruit, regular and a variety of sweet breads, several juice options along with cold water, cold and warm milk, coffee, tea packets, chocolate mix, several cereals, scrambled eggs, bacon (not very crispy), rice pudding, flan, yogurt, and they varied every now and then something on the warm station but it seemed to always be something fried. Was definitely filling!!! :) THANK YOU!

* TV & REMOTE:
Not much of a selection *BUT* who cares, you're there to see Spain, not TV!! But even so, the older couple with whom I was traveling DID watch plenty of TV. The AWESOME thing about that was there WERE a few channels in Spanish!! (While in Barcelona, we didn't have a single channel in Spanish --they had Catalan, French and Italian) so it was nice to hear/see Spanish-speaking channels. AND our TV Remote worked perfectly well!!!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
OK. Now that my novel is done here, to reiterate, THE BEST THING ABOUT HOTEL PLAZA MAYOR: LOCATION, THE PEOPLE, THE ROOM SET UP, THE AC, BATHROOM FAN AND FREE INTERNET!!!
** I'd go back there in a heartbeat!!!***

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends