Hotel Ateneo Puerta del Sol
Agoda.com
$294
$278
  • Restaurant
All reviewspuerta del solbin lorriesbalconies overlooking the streetgreat locationunpleasant smellhotel is locatedfacing roomroom changemain sightswithin walking distancesubway stationthe hotel staffwould definitely stay here againvery nice hotelroyal palacenoisegran
Reviewed February 18, 2012

A great base for exploring Madrid - close to 2 Metro stations. Friendly helpful reception staff, clean room of good size, comfortable despite February temperature which went down to -7oC one night, good brealfast to start the day. Street pedestrian, lots of people around, but secure. I'd go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AMEpalinges
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I am generally not very critical and quite easily pleased when it comes to staying in hotels abroad. I have travelled worldwide and stayed in some absolute dumps quite happily. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy my stay here at the Ateneo as much as I would have like to.

Firstly, I would like to say the staff were absolutely wonderful - all spoke english and all were happy to offer me advice with anything I needed. Location is also very central (a min from puerta del sol or gran via). Rooms were comfortable and a good size, though quite basic. Breakfast was enjoyable, with scrambled or boiled eggs, ham and cheese, yoghurts and fruit.

However.. the noise levels are just atrocious.. I am pretty sure the windows are single glazed, and I havent stayed in a hotel with single glazing for as long as I can remember! The noise that was coming through was ridiculous - literally all day and night there are a variety of loud noises to keep you awake or simply unrelaxed and constantly disturbed. Also, the room was freeeezing (my stay was last weekend of october but weather was hot) but cold air was coming through the closed balcony doors. I moved room and this was the case in both rooms.

I had to get up at 5am this morning (monday) for my flight and the street was still buzzing with people coming back from parties, shouting and singing.. so if you are after a peaceful hotel please dont stay here! If you dont mind a bit of noise and want to be in the middle of the action then this will be perfect for you.

6  Thank Natalie N
Reviewed October 28, 2011

WHAT a find. We stayed for a couple nights and this hotel was perfect for location, price, value, service..... they have it all. Loved it and when in Madrid next will return, no questions!
Walked everywhere.... and I think we ate and drank all of Madrid :--)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank dooleysSeattle
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Wow! Where else in Europe you get a clean, modern and excellent located hotel room at the price of 75 euros? And notice that it includes very good and rich breakfast, too. The breakfast was a glad surprise because the Spanish breakfast is normally very simple. Our room was on the 3rd floor towards the very busy walking street. The room had a small balcony where was nice to sit and look the people and drink a glass of wine. The room had an empty fridge and chargeable safety box. All the main sights, restaurants, bars and shops are in within a few steps from the hotel.

5  Thank Mika7275
Reviewed October 8, 2011

.......there are some disadvantages. The street where the hotel is situated and many of the surrounding streets are frequented by sex workers which some will find off-putting. Having said that it didn't cause us any actual inconvenience and there is a municipal police station 100 yds away which helps you feel more secure at night.

Many of the other reviews have mentioned how noisy the local area is - especially at night - and we certainly found this to be the case. The double glazing doesn't seem to do a great deal to help.

Hotel staff were generally very helpful and the front desk staff we talked to had excellent English which was useful given my embarrassingly poor Spanish.

The location itself (Porta del Sol) is incredibly central and an easy five to ten minute walk to the Prado area or the Palacio Real, there's no real need to use the metro and it's more interesting to discover the area on foot.

Breakfast is quite basic but there is a substantial quantity available if you want to fill yourself up for the day.

Our room was adequately clean if not spotless although the sink in the bathroom was missing a plug which was annoying.

On the whole I'd say that this hotel is perfectly adequate for a budget stay in Madrid. It's in a good central location, provided you understand the nature of the neighbourhood and you are comfortable with that. It offers good value at the price we paid (approx. 70 euro a night for a double).

2  Thank RobertFossil