“Nice rooms, shocking service”

Eurostars Suites Mirasierra
Ranked #124 of 442 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I'm a regular traveller and have been lucky enough to have not written a bad review yet on TripAdvisor but the service I received at this hotel last weekend nothing short of appalling. The front desk staff at this hotel are difficult, unhelpful, condescending and just plain rude. Don't expect a greeting when you arrive (Mario and his supervisor pretended I wasn't there for the first couple of minutes), let alone any help or information. Do expect: to be cut off before you've finished asking a question, blank looks, smirking, being ignored, Mario and his pals talking about you in Spanish thinking you don't understand what they're saying, to make a complaint at checkout (we weren't the only ones).

Our particular complaint related to staff slapping a 210 euro charge on our bill at the end for 'extra beds'. We were staying on SPG points and had asked SPG if possible to book four of us into one room (the rooms are generally suite size) or if we should book two rooms. We were told we could sleep 4 to one room at no extra cost (they would just put in two extra single beds). All this was confirmed on our booking document and before travelling we double-checked with SPG. So when the staff insisted I had to pay 210 euros on checking out I told them there must have been a mistake. A nightmare ensued and it took us an hour to argue our case, despite me having hard evidence in our booking document that no charges applied. Cue more rudeness from Mario and his (not) merry men.

Eventually the manager of the hotel sorted it out (I had to call her down from her office twice). She did try to argue with me but soon had to accept that they had invented these charges and could find no reason to take the payment from my credit card.

More hassle when I asked for some checkout paperwork once this was sorted. The staff refused to give me a printout to take home and I was forced to explain that this is standard procedure for a 5* hotel several times - and that they were happy enough to give me a printout for 210 euros and ask me to sign it!

The standard of accommodation at this hotel was actually pretty nice so it's a shame the service is so beyond acceptable. However, do note that if staying here this is not a spa hotel as advertised - there is a spa next door which runs as an entirely separate business and you will need to pay 19.50 euros each time you want to use it. You will also need to pay 19.50 euros if you want to use the gym without the spa facilities - the hotel does not have its own gym. Why guests at a 5* have to pay 19.50 euros to use a gym is beyond me.. We were also unable to secure appointments at the spa, despite attempting to book a day in advance.

The only other upside to this hotel is that they will pick you up from the airport for free and take you back. Do use this service - the drivers are the only lovely staff - and you may as well try and get something out of the facilities. Despite being Gold SPG members we were unable to use the lounge but Platinum members are fine. I have always had impeccable service from Starwood hotels - this one needs to buck up its ideas fast as it's seriously letting the side down.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank beachchick12
Sheraton_Madrid, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Eurostars Suites Mirasierra, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Beachchick12,

First of all, thank you for choosing Sheraton for your stay in Madrid.

We do apologize for not having met your expectations. Your valuable feedback will no doubt help us improving our service.

We appreciate you allowed us to discuss the issues offline, and hope to be able to welcoming you again in Madrid soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed here for four nights in mid April.

The hotel offer free airport transfers which you need to book in advance. Both transfers were prompt, with great service.

The room was fantastic, huge, comfortable, with a massive bathroom and separate dining area and mini kitchen with microwave, sink and kettle. I was on the third floor and had no problems with noise. Complementary mineral water in the room each day was very welcome.

The spa is particularly good - lots of water jets and such-like. Sadly the Jacuzzi was faulty during my trip but it didn't spoil the visit.

My booking didn't include breakfast and I didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food.

I didn't need the wi fi but the hotel has free internet access from computers in the lobby which I used.

Location wise, the hotel is not in the centre of Madrid, but in a quiet residential area. This suited me as I wanted to be somewhere quiet. It's a five minute walk to the nearest metro station and then about 20-25 minutes to get into the centre. I noticed a number of busses near the hotel too though didn't use any. There's not much in the area, although I did find a tapas bar and a restaurant after going for a long wander on my first night.

If you're planning on visiting El Escorial, the hotel is in a good location as it is only a few stops from Chamartain station where you get a connecting train.

The service from the front desk was great - prompt, efficient and very friendly. Overall I had a great stay and would have no issues recommending the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Sheraton_Madrid, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Eurostars Suites Mirasierra, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear There_Goes_The_Fear

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Sheraton Madrid Mirasierra Hotel & Spa. We are happy to read that you enjoyed our facilities and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We will share your generous words with our team who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.

As you mentioned, our Hotel is well communicated with the airport thanks to our shuttle service. Additionally it is perfectly connected to the centre of Madrid. We are close to a Shopping Center, to the subway station and there is a bus stop on our doorstep which leads directly to Gran Via, the heart of the city’s cultural activity. Our location is a strength whether for business or for pleasure.
We are glad to know that our spacious and bright suites have fully met your expectations. As you mentioned our rooms have a minimum of 60 sqm and include a separate bedroom, living area, marble bathroom with an independent dressing space and a fully equipped work space.

Regarding our Absara Spa, it has modern facilities, including indoor hot pool, swimming flume, jacuzzi, Turkish bath, foot bath, sauna and furthermore has a Fitness Center with supplementary activities such pilates, yoga, zumba dance, aerobic, cardiobox, kinesis and spinning. Its 1,300 sqm of pure tranquillity makes it one of the finest spas in Madrid.

Once again, thank you so much for having chosen our Hotel and we look forward to receiving you back soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend for a long weekend. The room was amazing. Very contemporary just what I like. There was a big bath, separate shower, robes, sink, microwave, hot drinks facilities, safe, dining table, seating area, TV & huge bed. The food in the hotel breakfasts and evening meals were very nice. My bf and I decided to visit the SPA facilities which we thought were bound to be included in the room rate but unfortunetly it wasnt. We were charges 19 euros each and were advised that swim caps must be worn so we had to buy these also at an additional 3 euros each. We paid it as wanted to visit the facility but it was an expensive visit for an hour or so in the hydro pool and jacuzzi. Just something to bear in mind if you want to use facilities.
All the staff were very friendly and i didnt realise when ordering a bacardi that the bar man kept pouring and was waiting on my telljng him when to stop so needless to say it was a strong drink!lol The metro station isnt far from the hotel and is a brilliant way to get about at a cheap price. Overall we enjoyed our stay very much and would recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: March 2014
Sheraton_Madrid, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Eurostars Suites Mirasierra, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Armani8_10

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at Sheraton Madrid Mirasierra Hotel & Spa and we would like to thank you for your kind words and the time spent in writting your comments in www.tripadvisor.com.

We are especially pleased to learn that you enjoyed our spacious suites, all of them have a minimum of 60 sqm and include a separate bedroom, living area, marble bathroom with an independent dressing space and a fully equipped work space.

Regarding the Spa access, I would like to take the opportunity to notify that the access is included in all our rooms except for the Deluxe Suite as it appears in our web page.

As you mentioned, our Hotel is in a quiet area but it is perfectly connected to the centre of Madrid. We are close to the subway station and there is a bus stop on our doorstep which leads directly to Gran Via.

We hope to have soon the opportunity to welcome you back at Sheraton Madrid Mirasierra Hotel & Spa.

Yours sincerely

The management

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Wonderful business hotel, with no thrills (rooms) but beautifully maintained. Location is slightly remote but only 350m from a Metro station that is 7 stops from the heart of Madrid. Rooms: spacious and extremely well looked after. Laundry service is efficient and high quality (they even pack every item individually in plastic envelops).Nice lounge with hot and cold snacks during certain periods of the day. Big bonus: an amazing pool, gym and spa area where you can spend hours. Sevral jacuzzis water jets etc.. definitely an asset to the hotel.
Check out was slighty hectic with double charge and no night credits probably due to a new receptionist on training. No special treatment as a platinum SPG member probably due to the high occupancy during the 48h stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the far mountains..
2  Thank Mallory M
Sheraton_Madrid, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Eurostars Suites Mirasierra, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Mallory M,

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at Sheraton Madrid Mirasierra Hotel & Spa and we would like to thank you for the time spent in writting your comments in www.tripadvisor.com.

As you mentioned Absara Spa has modern facilities, including indoor hot pool, swimming flume, jacuzzi, turkish bath, foot bath, sauna and furthermore has a Fitness Center with supplementary activities such pilates, yoga, zumba dance, aerobic, cardiobox, kinesis and spinning. Its 1,300 sqm of pure tranquillity makes it one of the finest spas in Madrid.

Regarding our location, we are situated in a quiet area in the north of Madrid City but perfectly connected to the centre of Madrid. We are close to the subway station and there is a bus stop on our doorstep which leads directly to Gran Via, the heart of the city’s cultural activity.

Yours sincerely,

The Management.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed for 4 night on business and the size of the rooms is remarkable - bedroom separate from the lounge area which also has a dining area - massive , really a 5 star apartment rather than a hotel room. The staff are excellent as are the facilities. Unfortunately this is a hotel that charges a ridiculous rate for Wifi unless you are an SPG Gold member or above. Location is not near the centre of Madrid but in reality it is just a 20 minute taxi ride in non-peak traffic or approx 30 minutes on a train or metro. There is a great local tap pas bar on the corner (bar 23) which is well worth a visit. Would gladly stay again.

1  Thank Michael Y

Dear Michael Y,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Sheraton Madrid Mirasierra Hotel & Spa.
We would also like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Guest’s opinions are certainly one of our best tools in order to improve.

About our location, we are situated in the quiet residential area of Mirasierra in the north of Madrid. Plaza Castilla and the Financial District are about 5 minutes driving from our Hotel and the famous Puerta Del Sol, the city centre is about 25-30 minutes by metro.

Concerning the WIFI connection, please, allow me to inform you that all our room fees include WIFI access with the exception of those for the Deluxe Suites and our Hotel offers free WIFI access to all our guests in the common areas. Furthermore, the Link@Sheraton, situated in our lobby, offers a secure area to work including several PC workstations and free printing service with PrintMe. As an SPG Gold Member you have the option of choosing between free WIFI, a welcome drink or startpoints.

Thank you for trusting us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon at Sheraton Madrid Mirasierra Hotel & Spa.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 19, 2014

This hotel a year ago re-branded Sheraton is, as I understood, all suites. So bright and spacious rooms- Since location is on a slope there are beautiful views also from lower floors, but of course better the higher floor you get. Besides from the occasional exception, the attitude and helpfulness of the staff was great. A minor disruption dealt with in a professional way by MoD. 7 min walk to close Metro station. Many good restaurants within walking distance, bu evidently not smack into city centre. Breakfast selections slightly under expected

1  Thank onobond
Sheraton_Madrid, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Eurostars Suites Mirasierra, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear onobond

Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Madrid.

As you mentioned all our rooms are suites designed to provide the perfect rest. All of them have a minimum of 60 sqm and include a separate bedroom, living area, marble bathroom with an independent dressing space and a fully equipped work space and with the best views to the mountains.

We highly appreciate your comments regarding our staff. We will share your generous words with our team who, I am sure, will be encouraged by them.

Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Sheraton Madrid Mirasierra Hotel & Spa, we thank you for trusting us.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed 5 nights at this hotel on a business trip. I really felt sorry for the staff as they seemed so busy as the hotel is definately understaffed- which was annoying when nobody picks up phone calls. I always saw the same faces, who were helpful and spoke good english. Free airport shuttle was very handy. Rooms were great. It isnt an ideal location as its far from the centre but we did visit la vaguada mall nearby and also the outlet mall.
Although my company paid, the rate seemed quite high for an airport type hotel.

1  Thank Phil_j92
Sheraton_Madrid, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Eurostars Suites Mirasierra, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Mr Phil_j92

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Madrid Mirasierra Hotel & Spa and for taking the time to share your comments with us through www.tripadvisor.com.
In our endeavour to satisfy all our Guest’s expectations, we would like to inform you that we have taken good note about your remarks.

As you mentioned, our Hotel is in a quiet area but it is perfectly connected to the centre of Madrid. We are close to the subway station and there is a bus stop on our doorstep which leads directly to Gran Via, the heart of the city’s cultural activity.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Madrid Mirasierra Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Kind Regards,