I stayed two nights here. Loved it for the location, the charming feel to it with the mix of it's 19th century and modern construction. The service is good as in I didn't have complaints about much except the air conditioning for the entire hotel seemed to be problematic on the first night. Seeing I wasn't convinced when I complained about the warm night, they offered to change my room seeing that I suspected it to be an issue with my room Aircon. Second night the Aircon was just fine. I opted to take the breakfast add on seeing that it would cost me just as much of I has a similar spread anywhere else. The breakfast (€12) is good. Fresh everything. Hotel is 2 minutes walk to Plaza Mayor, and a 6-7 minute walk to the Prado. It's in the heart of the centro area. Which is fantastic. I could walk a good 4km radius which pretty much covers the areas I wanted to get to. The front desk is efficient and friendly. I opted for the room facing the courtyard since I wanted quiet at night and that's what I got. I'm not big on grand room views so this works for me. Rooms are no frills. But clean. Always very clean. Beds on the softer side for me but that's been my consistent experience in the whole country till now.
Stayed at 3 Catalonia hotels now and I've a good idea of what works with them and what doesn't.
Expect clean rooms, good value and good front desk service.
Don't expect frills, fancy accessories and a resort feel.
Personal stay where value is a consideration, this is a good place to be.
PS: make sure to eat at least once at the La Rollerie right opposite the hotel. Great food, ambience and service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Moratin hotel, which opened its doors in August 2002, is conveniently situated near the famous Golden Triangle (the Prado Museum, the Thyssen Bornemisza Museum and the Reina Sofia Museum), adjacent to the historic nucleus of the city which includes the Puerta del Sol and the Plaza Mayor. It is only a few metres away from the Plaza Santa Ana, known to be one of the best places for tapas nationwide, and close to the most popular theatres in town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Catalonia Puerta del Sol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Puerta Del Sol Hotel Madrid
- Catalonia Moratin Hotel Madrid
- Catalonia Moratin Madrid