“Great location. Good hotel. ”

Catalonia Puerta del Sol
Ranked #46 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location. Good hotel. ”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

I stayed two nights here. Loved it for the location, the charming feel to it with the mix of it's 19th century and modern construction. The service is good as in I didn't have complaints about much except the air conditioning for the entire hotel seemed to be problematic on the first night. Seeing I wasn't convinced when I complained about the warm night, they offered to change my room seeing that I suspected it to be an issue with my room Aircon. Second night the Aircon was just fine. I opted to take the breakfast add on seeing that it would cost me just as much of I has a similar spread anywhere else. The breakfast (€12) is good. Fresh everything. Hotel is 2 minutes walk to Plaza Mayor, and a 6-7 minute walk to the Prado. It's in the heart of the centro area. Which is fantastic. I could walk a good 4km radius which pretty much covers the areas I wanted to get to. The front desk is efficient and friendly. I opted for the room facing the courtyard since I wanted quiet at night and that's what I got. I'm not big on grand room views so this works for me. Rooms are no frills. But clean. Always very clean. Beds on the softer side for me but that's been my consistent experience in the whole country till now.

Stayed at 3 Catalonia hotels now and I've a good idea of what works with them and what doesn't.

Expect clean rooms, good value and good front desk service.

Don't expect frills, fancy accessories and a resort feel.

Personal stay where value is a consideration, this is a good place to be.

PS: make sure to eat at least once at the La Rollerie right opposite the hotel. Great food, ambience and service.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank pan-kan
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Pan-Kan,

Thank you for your comments.
A/A conditoning sistem is working now perfectly sorry if in your time was not as good as you espected. Good to know that in your second night you could sleep well.

Hope you can visit us in the future because we are renovating our rooms , the hotel entrance and elevators.

César Rionda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stopped here for 2 nights, we had originally booked another hotel in the same chain but received an email a couple of days before our stay to say due to technical issues we were being moved to another hotel on the same road. The reception area is a bit like a small internal courtyard, quite nice. Check in was quick and easy but the bedrooms sadly lack. The beds look brick hard, very square and not at all inviting but saying that they did turn out to be comfortable. Our room overlooked the internal courtyard and had just one small window, the whole room was dull, basic, dark and drab. I had planned on having room service and a pamper night with my daughter on the Friday night but no way could I have stayed in that room all night. I would expect decor like that in a youth hostel or somewhere similar not a hotel. Location is great as only a few minutes from lots of squares and plazas with lots of little tapas bars and cafés. Breakfast was a buffet style breakfast which we tried on the first morning but decided to go elsewhere the second morning, across the road from the hotel is a little coffee shop on the corner, we went there instead and would definitely recommend it, they didn't have English menus though so we had to try and work out what things were, it was lovely though and was filled with locals which I always think is a good sign if the locals eat there. Good location for a short stay but I wouldn't return to that hotel as I feel the rooms really let it down.

Room Tip: I've read reviews where people say the road side rooms are noisy but I cannot comment as ours wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Lindsey 69_10,

First of all I want to thank you for taking your time and let us know about your stay.
I am really sorry that you did not have a wonderful stay.
The good news is that actually we are changing all the decoration in all romos, so in a short time of period all romos will be new decorate and look more fresh, modern...

Hope you can visit us again, I am sure you will not regret.

Beste regards,

Brentford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

What a fantastic find, stayed here through work in May 14. good size rooms, large bed, pleasant public areas, and a lovely buffet breakfast, brilliant location for getting around the centre of Madrid.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank David A
Dear David A,

Thank you very much for your comments.

I am really happy you had a great stay with us and you enjoy our new buffet.

Hope you coming back son.

Colchester, Essex
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Our second visit to the Catalonia Puerta del Sol and we enjoyed it just as much as the first. We were a little worried that noise from the supporters of Real and Atletico outside on Champions' League Final night would disturb our sleep, but the fact that the hotel is built inside the thick walls of an old building made it blissfully quiet. Some people have complained that the rooms face into an inner courtyard and this makes the rooms dark, but we feel that this makes the hotel an oasis of calm on busy Calle Atocha, especially when the Madrid summer is scorching outside..

Breakfast was even better than on our last stay. This time we had a standard room rather than a superior, which was smaller but still perfectly comfortable - nice beds, plenty of hanging space and pleasant en-suite. Any little problems are swiftly sorted by the hotel staff, who are all very pleasant and efficient.

I think this hotel offers excellent value for a comfortable stay right in the heart of Madrid, within easy walking distance of the Prado, Retiro Park and my favourite Plaza, Santa Ana. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Chief Weasel,

It is such an honour for us that a regular guest as you come back to the hotel.
I really apreciate your comments about the breakfast we have done many changes on it and we are still imporving it.

Same thing with romos, decoration of the romos is in proces and all romos are renovating. Also we are making the entrance of the hotel more wellcoming. Hope for your next visit you can give us your feed back and i am pretty sure you will like it.

Thank you very much for share your comments with us.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Great location, within walking distance to several train stations and close to numerous restaurants and bars. Found the staff to be courteous and helpful. We weren't blown away the room but not unhappy with it either. There was ample closet space and the bathroom was spacious with decent water pressure and temperature. Our a/c worked just fine and the windows in the room both opened to the courtyard. There was a bit of noise from the courtyard and the hallways, and if your have a loud neighbor, you'll hear them. We were only truly bothered by sounds twice for a short time. Good breakfast buffet which we took advantage of on three days. The street is a busy one, so if you have a room facing the street I can imagine there'll be noise. We didn't eat or drink at the hotel restaurant/bar because there were so many options nearby that were more affordable. Of the four hotels we stayed at in Spain, this was the most commercial/chain-style and least memorable, but we there wasn't much to complain about.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShazDenise
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear ShazDenis,

Thank you very much for comments.
I take note about your comments to keep improving and become a better hotel, thank you.
Rooms facing the Street have doublé window so there are not noisy.

Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed here with my son in early February for Real Madrid game .wow what a beautiful hotel a real gem staff very helpfully rooms spotless going back 16 may for football this time with my wife didn't ever consider any other hotel . A real hidden gem .

David hopkinson

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Mr. David,

Its grat to read your comment and realice you had a good stay with us. This comments motive us to keep improving and doing our best.

Best regards and hope to see you son,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We had a lovely long weekend here, staying for 3 nights to attend Real Madrid v Valencia as well as doing the sights. Excellent location, within easy reach of the main tourist attractions and with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby. We had a room at the front, on the busy road, but traffic noise wasn't an issue because the aircon worked perfectly and with the window closed we couldn't hear a thing from outside. The hotel itself was very quiet and comfortable, the room was large, well-furnished and very clean - and the bed was huge!! The buffet breakfast was delicious with a wide choice ranging from continental to cooked eggs, bacon etc. We found the staff extremely friendly and welcoming as well as being helpful and efficient, there was always a smiling face at the desk to greet us. We would definitely stay at this hotel again if we return to Madrid and would not hesitate to recommend it to our family and friends.

Room Tip: If you must have the window open, ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Geewhizz7,

Thank you very much for your comments. It s a pleasure for us to know that you enojoyed your stay with us. Customers service is our most commitment so I am very happy you always found a smile.

Hope you coming back son.