“Awesome location, Nice rooms!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catalonia Puerta del Sol

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Catalonia Puerta del Sol
Ranked #40 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
“Awesome location, Nice rooms!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The staff at Catalonia Puerta del Sol was extremely nice, helpful, and professional. There were 2 hotel receptionists, that recommended great dining options outside of the normal tourist area. The staff helped me book an in room massage, which was very nice and relaxing. We were offered a chance to add breakfast to our room for a discounted price of 10 euro and I took the deal. However, I wish I had not. The breakfast was the typical cold meat, cheese, and bread selections with a few other options. The hot foods consisted of eggs, potatoes, and churros which were cold and extra chewy. Lucky for me I was only staying one night because when you except the breakfast deal, you have to add it for every night of your stay. Since you are so close to Plaza Mayor and other restaurants, it is better to just eat outside of the hotel. We found alot of great breakfast offers for under the 10 euro you pay for hotel breakfast. Also the night staff gave another guest keys to my room, and it scared me when they entered while I was laying down. Luckily I was dressed. I do wonder if I was not in my room, those people could have taken some of my belongings and I would have never known what happened. The staff did apologize, deactivated the other couples keys and brought me another key right away, but my nerves were a little shaken after that. I love the location and the cleanliness of the hotel, but for security reasons I am not sure if I will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Miya M
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Miya M,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel in Tripadvisor. Your comments give us the chance to improve our services.
I am glad that you think our staff is nice, helpful, and professional. We work hard every day to get our guests satisfaction.
We are really proud of our breakfast service, but you should note that we have guest from a lot of nationalities and with different habits and tastes, so we offer an international variety of sweet and salt food, hot and cold, variety of fresh fruit, fresh orange juice and variety of different kind of juices, made at the moment coffee, and a great variety of options to satisfy all our guest.
I would like to apologize for the mistake with the room number in reception. I understand you were upset with this error, but was an error solved in the same moment, that we really sorry and we will check again procedures with our reception staff in order we can stay sure it will not happen again. I assure you one of the strongest points of our hotel is our security. A small boutique style hotel where you can feel yourself like at home, but in the heart of Madrid. I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you again in our hotel
Domingo Pérez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights just last week. We picked the hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews which reported central location and ease for walking into Central Madrid. The hotel is within 5 mins walk of Plaza Mayor, 8 mins to Sol etc. Hotel also close to Anton Martin metro station so it is possible to get the underground all the way from the airport (50 mins E5). Definitely recommend getting a room on the inside of the hotel as it's quieter in there. In terms of hotel itself - it's practical and clean. Nothing flash but then on a city break how much time do you spend in the hotel? Good value for money!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hudson58
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Surf_chicks,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel in Tripadvisor. The opinion of our guests helps us and motivates us to continue working and improving our services. I am glad you liked our rooms faced to our nice Patio. Our rooms faced to Atocha Street are very nice as well and they have double window to avoid noises.
I hope to welcome you again soon.
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have visited many hotels during my trips around the world. Catalonia Puerta del Sol has been one of the most interesting. Located at a very convenient place in the center of the city, it is at walking distance from the most important touristic sites.The rooms are comfortable and the whole place makes you feel you are at home.Breakfast is great! The staff is so caring and thoughtful! My personal thanks to Aida, who helped in everything she could in a very efficient way. No doubt I am coming back!
Susana Kohan

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank suduNewJersey
Moratindireccion, General Manager at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear suduNewJersey ,

Thank you very much for your warm comments. Your feedback motivates us to keep working passionately every day in order to satisfy our guests. I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel and that you felt comfortable between us. I will pass on your comments to Aida and rest of our staff. I sincerely hope to welcome you again soon.

Thank you very much again for sharing your experience and comments.

Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Nice hotel in the center of Madrid, the service at the top level, the rooms are very clean with a bad view, European breakfast choices too small but you can eat quality food, the restaurant is good, excellent and nice lobby you'll feel very nice at the hotel. From hotel almost you can walk to visit many squares and beauty of Madrid.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gurugrul
Moratindireccion, General Manager at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Vedran P,
Thank you very much for your feedback and your comments. Your opinion encourages us and helps us to continue working and improving our services to full satisfaction of our guests´s needs. I hope to welcome you again soon.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Very helpful and friendly staff, on top of a very clean and stylish hotel made this the perfect place for us to stay in Madrid. We also had a roadside room but the double doors and triple glazing made it completely silent, allowing for a peaceful lie-in in the morning.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andy C
Moratindireccion, General Manager at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Andy C

Thank you for your kind comments, I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel, and we really appreciate your feedback. It motivates us to continuing working to improve our service and get our guests satisfaction every day

It will be my pleasure to pass on your kind comments to all our staff

I sincerely hope to welcome you again soon.

Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night as part of our 6 day trip to Spain. The first thing I can say about this hotel is it's great location. It's a 5 minute walk from the Puerto Del sol Metro and the various restaurants and Tapas bars in Madrid. Having said that, it's peaceful and quiet and just the right distance away from the noisy streets.
The room was well appointed, clean and looked onto the courtyard of the hotel. The bathroom and the toiletries were adequate. We didn't eat the breakfast here so can't comment about the spread or the restaurant. All in all a good experience at a decent price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank architrez
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Architrez,
Thank you very much for your feedback and your comments. Your opinion encourages and helps us to continue working to improve our services. I am pleased to read you had a nice stay in our hotel and I sincerely hope to welcome you again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hotel is a very central location that makes walking to major attractions very easy. The staff were so helpful and friendly a real feature of the hotel. The rooms are comfortable and clean. the hotel is part of an older building that adds atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kenny165
Moratindireccion, General Manager at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Kenny165,

It will be my pleasure to pass on your kind comments to all our staff which we are really proud of

I hope to welcome you again soon.