“Perfect place to stay”
Review of Hotel Europa

Hotel Europa
Ranked #60 of 443 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Just stayed at the Europa for 2 nights. What a great place. Clean rooms, helpful staff, and the perfect location. We took a taxi from the airport, but wish we would have just taken the train. This is the perfect place to stay!

Room Tip: The staff at the front desk spoke both English and Spanish. How nice!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,876)

Reviewed August 22, 2014

Wonderful hotel in the middle of the action adjacent to Puerta del Sol. Our room was exquisite. Some rooms have balconies overlooking the plaza. The pro is that it is fun to watch all the activity from your own balcony. The con is that it can be noisy very late in the evening if there is a lot of activity. Great restaurants, shopping, sights are all within an easy walking distance. Loved this hotel! If in Madrid, don't miss the Mercado de San Miguel just off Plaza Major...a whole market of tapas.

Room Tip: Loved room 321 because of the 2 balconies. However, it was noisy at night.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The hotel is located just a short walk from the Sol stop of the Madrid Metro, just within walking distance to a lot of shops and restaurants, and via short taxi ride is within reach to a lot of significant sites in Madrid.

Our accommodations included breakfast and we were pleased to find out the Hotel's restaurant, the Cafeteria del Hotel Europa, was a decent place for breakfast.

The staff were quite formal yet warm and accommodating. Like most Madrid locals, they were not too keen to speak English (but they speak English) which in Madrid is not a bad thing. They work hard to please though.

There was a moment when I had a problem with the internet connection in the middle of the night, and the staff immediately scrambled and worked to get the internet fixed, and checking on me time and again to be sure everything was working.

What impressed me most of all was the cleaning staff. Each time we returned to our rooms, not only were they immaculate, our personal clutter left lying about were neatly and very nicely organized around the room. It seems our room was getting cleaner the longer we stayed there too!

Room Tip: We chose a courtyard room away from the busy front. Although we know the windows were quality enoug...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cgc76
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Seriously this hotel hit all the checks! Loved our balcony view that overlooked Puerta Del Sol and the street below. I had special requests -- no fridge in the room but wanted to refrigerate stuff. They were so accommodating! Got lots of help from the concierge on getting around & booking shows and restaurants. Great choice and fantastic value! Thanks Hotel Europa!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

We spent 4 days here and could not have had a better experience. Our room was spacious, by European standards, and had a beautifully appointed bathroom with all updated fixtures. It was a "show" outside our window overlooking Plaza del Sol all day and continuing into the early morning hours...mimes, skaters, breakdancers, talented musicians, etc. The hotel staff were very helpful and catered to our every need. Many, many top notch restaurants within a short walking distance. We would definitely stay here again!!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bobbeelou
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Hotel Europa is situated in a fantastic spot for my favorite past time - people watching. The staff is very friendly and helpful especially with directions and restaurant recommendations.

It can be a bit noisy, but the double pane windows do a good job of drowning out most of the noise.

I was sitting out on the terrace one morning, and noticed the maid was scrubbing the terrace floor next to me. The maids clean the sidewalk in front of the hotel. The hotel is very clean and very central for the sight-seeing that I wanted to do. In the evenings, you can go hang out at Plaza del Sol and there are a variety of restaurants and dessert shops close by.

I miss ordering a croissant and coffee and sitting out on the terrace and watching the world go by. It's a fantastic spot. When you check out, make sure you bring your room key down with you. I left it in the room because I was checking out at 6:00 a.m., and still trying to wake up. The employee totally lost it when I said I didn't have the key and said he couldn't close out my account with out the key. He was the only rude employee I encountered the whole time.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Yvon S
Reviewed August 7, 2014

The Hotel Europa has an excellent location. the staff is super friendly, and helpful. My room was very nice and clean with excellent view of puerta del sol. The room has a good a/c. There were a lot of stores and restaurants around it. The hop on and off was across the hotel which make it convenient. If I come back to Madrid, I will definitely stay in this hotel

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family