3,126 results
All reviewspuerta del solgreat locationrick stevespeople watchingoutdoor cafestreet performersplaza mayorcentral locationwithin walking distanceroyal palaceinterior roomsol metro stationbalcony overlookinglight sleeperinner courtyarddepartment storequiet room
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Firstly, the hotel, in my experience, uses simply, the name, Hotel Europa, as opposed to Hotel Residencia Europa. This maybe significant as they are not listed with the usual booking sites.
I believe it is privately owned and they apparently want to do their thing without involving fees or discounts to anyone.
This however is NOT a drawback as their rates are well below the average.
Like most reviewers, we found our six nights spent in a clean, modern hotel, well run and friendly.
The bathroom in particular was new.

Location is in the very center of Madrid, indeed, in the very center of Spain. Restaurants, shops, Metro, sights, museums are all within easy walking distance.
The room came with cable TV and free Internet access via a cable (wireless and a laptop are also free in the lobby).

Three things detracted from our comfort:

We had a larger room facing the Puerta del Sol and noise was a problem from street musicians
despite the soundproof (almost) glass windows. The music ends at 11 PM but be prepared to be serenaded until then. A smaller room facing away from the square would be the only remedy.
The mattress on the bed was so hard and unsupportive we both had back pains each morning. Nothing chronic, they went away, but be aware.
While there was more than enough space in our room, only straight backed desk chairs were provided. No sofa or easy chair were available at the end of a busy day.

Aside from these caveats, it was a fine place to stay, the savings were considerable and we would return.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank robertpol
Reviewed May 11, 2008

The enthusiastically glowing reviews of this hotel are well deserved. It is in a great location for playing tourist (the Metro Sol station is right next to the hotel) and it comes at a great price. Everyone I met at the front desk spoke excellent English and had a great attitude.

I had a room with a balcony facing the Puerta del Sol plaza, so I was a little concerned about the noise. However, the windows had double-paned glass, and I usually could not hear the crowd noise above the air conditioner. The room had contemporary furnishings, and everything was clean and in good condition. The room had plenty of space.

In addition to the internet available on a public computer in the lobby, my room had an ethernet connection. You need to have your own CAT5 cable. Somehow, I was not able to make this work, but I suspect that the problem was with my computer. I was told that wifi is available in the lobby, but I did not try it.

I lost my wallet on the Metro between Barajas and the hotel. The staff was understanding and helpful. They provided the toll-free numbers for VISA and MasterCard, and they let me stay even though I did not get a replacement credit card until the last day.

So what did I not like? The room did not have a refrigerator or a minibar. The first few days, I noticed a slightly soapy smell from the sheets and also in the hallways. I don't know if they started rinsing better, or if my nose got desensitized, but I did not notice the smell after a couple days.

The one thing I really did not like was the tiny shower. The inside was only about two feet square (60cm x 60cm), and there was no soap dish or any place to put the soap, shampoo, etc. The plumbing was mounted on the center of the wall, and protruded about 6 inches (15cm) into the shower, encroaching into the precious space. I found it impossible to move around without accidentally hitting the valve and either shutting off the water or changing its temperature; it would have been much better if they had installed the plumbing and controls in the corner, or made the space in the shower a little larger.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank SJCa
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We started our trip to Spain at the Hotel Europa with an overnight stay before we left for a week in Morocco. The staff kindly kept a bag for us till we returned to stay another 3 nights.The Hotel is very centrally located and we walked everywhere. The rooms are very clean and functional,but ask for a quiet one , facing the internal lightwell, as the ones facing the square can be very noisy at night. Great little restaurant/bar attached to the Hotel. The front desk staff were excellent with great suggestions for dinner etc.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank geoffdi
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Spent 4 March days in cool but sunny Madrid. Situated bang in the centre so people watching from the small balcony is excellent. Room was basic but recently done out, very clean and a good sized modern bathroom with shower over bath. No problem catching airport bus for Euro 1 pp to Avenida Americas and then a taxi/bus etc to hotel. Easy for taxi early morning to airport direct arranged by hotel for around Euro 30. Restaurant/bar attached on ground floor great for simple or big breakfast and a nibble/drink before setting off or coming back in the evening - prices reasonable. All the staff very polite with greater or lesser degrees of English and a smile always greeted a smile. Free internet in lobby for 15 minutes but if no one around for longer. Small charge for room safe. Would definitely stay again if you want ease of location for sites and shopping and at a good no nonsense price.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fco
Reviewed April 6, 2008

We stayed 2 nights in May 2007. The hotel is in a fantastic location, easy to get to by cab from the airport (about 34 euros in 2007)and easy to depart from, we took a cab to train station (10 euros). We walked everywhere from our hotel, to the museums (Reina Sofia, Prado, Real Jardin) to the tapas bars and San Gines Chocolateria.

Since it is in central bustling location, definitely be prepared for some noise. We got a room with a balcony view. I love people-watching and absorbing the city's culture. We saw a small parade of some sports fans run by. Just love that kind of spontaneous spirit.

Definitely not a quiet, serene area - so for those light sleepers, I would recommend a room away from the street. We didn't mind, as we were out late trying all the wonderful tapas bars and we stumbled home late at night and crashed into deep sleep.

I was pleasantly surprised by the nice washroom and tub/toilet - much more modern than I expected, compared to the design of the hallway interiors and tiny elevator. The room interior was clean.

I was tempted to just put average, since the interiors were ok and not brand new. But the central location, the balcony view and polite staff nudged to above average - it was a nice first 2 days for our two week trip in Spain/Portugal.

The staff were very polite with our luggage and everytime we came in and out of the hotel. We asked the counter staff to help us book a restaurant reservation for us since we can't speak Spanish and they helped us no problem. There is a small fee for using their phone though.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple