“Every time better” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #351 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Hamburg, Germany
“Every time better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have been twice in this place, 2007 and 2013 and is just great, simple and easy to go. I always took a room with street view because is nice to wake up and smell the fresh air in Madrid. Nuria and his father are really nice and kind, keeping the hostel clean and useful for many years. You can walk from there to any important and touristic point in the city and there is a Metro three block away, so it is really easy and fast and safe. I will be there every time I go to Madrid. I have never paid less for all this attributes.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise at night ask for a room without balcony.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rodolfo C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Perfect location for the galleries, bars and restaurants. Family run business, very friendly, helpful and trustworthy....I arrived early in the morning via train, and as the room was vacant was shown straight to it. My lack of Spanish was easily accommodated by smiles and sign language, and Naria speaks perfect english. Rooms are basic and in an old building, but clean and adequate for the price in Madrid. It's is a pension/hostel so moderate your expectations accordingly......the rooms are somewhat dark, but the wi-fi works perfectly and the sheets are clean. My only notes were that the internal noise was unmetered (could hear neighbouring guests very clearly going about their business - nothing unusual however for hostal, just need ear plugs), and the hot water was luke warm during my stay......don't base your choice on this though as think I was unlucky and it was particularly cold while I was there (4degs max over 3 days).....would recommend for relatively cheap, simple, safe and central accommodation in Madrid.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at hostal lopez in April. We paid around 30 euros per night for a room with private bathroom, which is pretty good for Madrid. Check-in went smooth, it is owned by a family and everybody was really friendly. The building is old, the room very basic but spotlessly clean!! We always had hot water, the bed was made daily and it was very comfortable. One day there seemed to be a party going on next door, so we complained at the reception and she politely asked them to keep it down and they did.

But the best about this place is the location. The hostal is right in Calle de las Huertas (and close to the Pl Santa Ana) which is full of cute bars and restaurants, Just next door you have El Hecho, where they serve you delicious torrijas de miel!

Transport from the airport to the hostel was easy peasy, we got off the Airport Express bus at Pl. de Cibeles and from there it was just a ten minute walk. The Prado museum, Antocha station, retiro park and Puerta del sol are all within walking distance.

If we ever come back, we'll stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PoisonedIvy
wilts,uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

As my daughter had just started a year at University in Madrid in August, she decided it was time for someone to visit her and Dad volunteered

She lives in the Latina area so wanted to be a short distance away from her flatmates for a few days

This Hostal was chosen based on her not wanting me to pay too much & at 51 euro for a twin bedded room it was good value

We had a street facing room which was no problem for me as I can sleep through most things, particularly after decent food & wine

The Hostal was easy to find, no pressure to pay by a certain time, keys to come & go when we wanted, room was clean, tidy as was the bathroom

Prior to leaving I was told I could leave our bags in reception on vacating our room if required

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Torpoint, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

It has been years since I stayed in a Hostal, but I recently stayed for 9 days at Hostal Lopez in Madrid and it has restored my faith in them. I will certainly be loathe to pay for pricier options in future. For approx 39 euros per night I had my own very clean room with a fan. My only complaint was that I was only issued with sheets and was a tiny bit cold, but the manager later informed me I need only have asked and blankets would have been given. The room is spotlessly clean and serviced every day. The family who run the hotel were so honest, I left valuables and cash in my room without thinking about it.

Very close to the Anton Martin metro (two stops from Gran Via). Main shopping district 5 mins walk, on a lively pedestrianised street with lots of super cafes and tapas bars. The nightlife in the area isn't as heavy as in some other areas (Chueca, for example), but is still full of life and local colour.

Room Tip: For a quieter room ask for inside facing. If you like a birds-eye view out onto the street ask for s...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Cara T
Bridgetown, Barbados
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

I know we're going to sound like relatives of the owners - we're not. My teenage daughter and I stayed for 4 nights the week before Easter and had a great time. We wanted to spend our budget seeing galleries and drinking & eating, so the central location suited us well. But for 25 euros a night I expected a hell-hole. I was prepared to strip a plastic mattress-cover off the bed, and buy myself a decent pillow. I packed earplugs.

The hostal is on the 4th and 5th? floors of an old apartment block. The reception area (next to the owners' apartment) is nothing snazzy, but you won't spend any time there, apart from paying your bill (after you arrive, in cash: they take card details over the phone / by email just to secure your booking), or collecting your luggage (they were happy for us to leave it after we checked out on our last day).

Our room on the next floor up was as small and bare as a monk's cell, but I hate kitsch hotel-room-artworks, so that suited us! Crispy white sheets, pillows were fine, plenty of hangers in the cupboard, and the room and en-suite were spotless. Enough hot water for 2 toasty showers each morning. What's even more amazing (for 25 euros each) was that the room was cleaned and made up and the towels changed every day.

Lopez madre y padre speak very little English but padre was very welcoming. Their adult daughter Nuria speaks excellent English and was warm and charming, recommending a great restaurant around the corner for the (late) night when we first arrived.

The weather was unseasonably rainy the week we were there (though we still loved Madrid). One day when it poured during the day, Sr Lopez checked our room and closed the window so our luggage didn't get soaked. And they lent us an umbrella! Las Huertas was fantasctically central for post-prandial siestas, and great tapas bars are a gentle stroll away at either end of the street. We loved trying different cafes for breakfast.

I had been worried about noise from the bars on the street, and had asked for a room at the back (which overlooked the central light-well). We never heard a peep from fellow guests, or from revellers in the street (perhaps subdued by rain?). As we were leaving I commiserated with Nuria that it had been a very quiet week and she was perplexed: she assured us the hostel was booked out!

It wasn't glamorous, or even characterful, but we arrived with low expectations and were absolutely delighted. Our in-laws are planning to stop over here in summer, en route to southern Spain.

Room Tip: A room at the back had no street noise
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Forgot_my_2thbrush
Adelaide, South Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2007

We (three adults) stayed in this hostel for three nights. We chose the Lopez because it was very cheap and very very close to the three major museums in Madrid, the Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen Bornemisza. It is also right in the centre of many eateries of various standards.
The hostel does not offer breakfast so we walked down to the end of the street to a tapas bar for coffee and hot breakfast, sitting outside as the weather was mild. This restaurant also offers very nice dinners - their duck was to die for. We also tried Indian which was delicious. You have to be choosy with your places though as on our last night the place was a hole.
The hotel itself has reception on the 1st floor and our room was on the third floor with no lift. The stairs are hard to negotiate with luggage expecially the wooden ones. The place is cheap and reflected it. Towels were thin, blankets also. Pillows very uncomfortable. The room was not square and for 3 people too small. Wifi was supposed to be provided in the reception area but did not work well for some guests though it worked for us.
I don't know if this is considered good value for Madrid, and while there is nothing really wrong with the hostel, I think I would pay the extra for a lift and breakfast in another part of town.

• Liked — Proximity to major museums and restaurants
  • Disliked — No lift, cheap, low quality facilities
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Viscountess

Travelers are raving about these Madrid hotels