“Gloomy, Fussy Old House” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 742 things to do in Madrid
New York, New York
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 222 helpful votes
“Gloomy, Fussy Old House”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is a mansion belonging to a 19th Century Spanish aristocrat. Apparently, Spaniards of that status went for exceptionally heavy, dark and ugly furniture and decorations. Everything is over-the-top in an overdone, gaudy way. The art in the building is infinitely inferior to that in the Galdiano Museum, which I highly recommend.

What I did find of interest was the intense, overbearing manner of the staff. Several times, I was ordered to look at the rooms on the second floor in a certain order--I couldn't look at the second room first, even though there was a large group of students in the first room listening to a lecture. Another guard ordered me to put on my jacket, rather than carrying it over my arm. He said I might hit and damage something with it. I thought it was funny since I've been in large and small museums all over the world and never ran into anything like these people.

I visited all the major museums in Madrid and several of the small ones, and this was my least favorite.

Visited November 2013

51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“A little gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

This Museum is ten minutes walk from the Royal Palace - go past the gardens (with them on your left) and go up the road. The Museum is shortly on your right (across the road) just before the Temple of Debod. I only went as I'd seen it mentioned on TV. It's totally under rated and should be given more prominence in the guide books. It's a fabulous town house with a stunning ballroom. Well worth a visit.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank peterS743
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Stunning! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the most beautiful houses I've ever visited. I particularly loved the sound of all old ticking clocks. I've visited Madrid many times and had never heard if this place. I will visit again as it's hard to take everything in.

2 Thank Nicola R
Lakewood Pierce County, Washington
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Interesting look into upper class living”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

This house, which gives you an idea how aristocrats lived, is filled with furniture and accessories. One whole hall contains a collection of armor. The ballroom is especially nice. The house is rather small so it won't take you long to go through it.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank ramblingnowhere
Scotland
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Gorgeous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

A stunning little museum. We were the first customers of the day and had the museum virtually to ourselves. The collection is beautifully presented in the former family home. The perfect start to the day.

Visited October 2013