“The perfect choice”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Limerick, Ireland
“The perfect choice”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We have just returned from a very pleasant stay at the Tryp Madrid Atocha. This was our third visit to Madrid and this time we decided to stay at a Melia Hotel. We had a very comfortable room, all our needs were met and the staff was most obliging, efficient and friendly. We enjoyed the hustle and bustle of Calle Atocha, the cafe culture of Plaza Santa Ana and the literary quarter of Madrid just around the corner. At times during the hectic schedule it was always a pleasure to head back to this beautiful historic building and chill out for a while. We were able to watch the Six Nations Rugby Championship in the comfort of our hotel room and this was an added bonus. Gracias a todos!
Phil Bourke, Limerick, Ireland

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phil B
Director_TRYP_Atocha, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Phil B

Thank you very much for your opinion. It is great to know that everything was ok and you enjoyed the city and the hotel. We try hard to do our best for our clients and in this ocation we are vry happy and proud to have got it.

Please let us know your next visit to meet you personally and if it is in our hands, to upgrade your reservation.

TRYP Atocha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wexford Ireland
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights. Fantastic place. Only 2 issues. The room was too hot. We were moved instantly. Only lukewarm water in the shower. Staff were extremely helpful. Great location. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

2 Thank LucyWexfordIreland
Director_TRYP_Atocha, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Mrs. LucyWexfo

Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy that we were able to solve the couple of issues you mentioned and that your stay with us was pleasant.

Thank you very much for your recommendation.

Best Regards.

London, UK
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed at the TRYP Madrid Atocha in late-October 2013 for 8 nights and found it to be all that I had hoped for from the description and reliable TA reviews. It was clean, reasonably comfortable, provided a great breakfast and is in an excellent central location to access city attractions, public transport and the wealth of nearby local amenities.

However, I did have fairly significant misgivings about room ventilation (ie lack of it !), the necessary solution to which lead to unwanted noise/cigarette odour intrusion...

---
I am compiling an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my visit to see the sights of Madrid and day trips to Toledo/Segovia, it is entitled 'Madrid Attractions (+ Toledo/Segovia Day Trips) : 7 Full-Day Visit Oct 2013'. Please feel free to access it via my TA Profile (by clicking my TA 'name' below the photo on the left of this review). I hope it is of interest and use to you and that all of my individual reviews/photos/videos get posted properly; don't forget that videos aren't posted with the review like photos are, so it's best to locate them via my TA profile....
---

I had booked my stay via Expedia which, before some special discounts, cost £67 per night Bed & Breakfast for a Double Room; that rate included mandatory taxes and no extra fees levied once I got to the hotel. I had done some research to find a hotel that fitted my requirements, and had actually changed my booking from somewhere else in preference for the better location that this hotel offered for a comparable price. I particularly liked the fact that the room rate included breakfast, an in-room fridge/safe and free wifi..

The hotel is located on the northern side and about half-way along the busy (but relatively quiet when compared to Gran Via for example) main city road of Calle de Atocha, just as the road levels-out from a constant downwards-sloping section leading to Atocha rail station. Almost by the front entrance to the hotel is a stairway access 'opening' for the nearby 'Anton Martin' Metro station (Line 1); bus stops are barely 100m either side of the road. The massive Atocha main railway station is at the bottom of that aforementioned sloped end to the main road; far enough away to justify a bus trip if you've luggage, especially when arriving as it's uphill !

There are lots of options for local shopping (especially for very good/cheap greengrocers) and a few local cafes which are also good value (about EU2 for coffee and a cake). An easy 5/10 min walk gets you to the 'happening' area of the city centre, where eating/drinking choices obviously increase massively ! Being centrally-located, you are nicely situated to either go east or west to access city attractions and it's also viable to return during the day to drop of things you 'collect' whilst out !

Bearing in mind that the Metro requires changes and that whilst an exit is by the hotel, the Anton Martin station is actually a few hundred metres away, I found the best way to travel to/from Barajas airport was by the EMT 'Airport Express' bus service (see my Trip List for all the info). It gets you to the bus station directly on the northern side of Atocha main railway station on the Av de la Ciudad de Barcelona/Paseo de la Infanta Isabel road section. From there you cross those 2 roads and catch the No26 bus to the hotel; the return trip is the same bus but a shorter walk at both ends !

The hotel reception area is smart but business-like, with little in the way of tourist info - but an excellent/detailed free city map is available. There were 2 lifts and getting to your room was never a problem. The reception area also features a seating vestibule, a very small bar (with snacks available) and access to the breakfast room.

My room was quite roomy and cleanly decorated (the end of this review should eventually feature several photos) and everything seemed fine UNTIL I'd unpacked and discovered that the safe was unusable. It transpired that many rooms have this 'problem' until they're all upgraded, BUT the reception staff omitted to point this known-fact out to me when I checked-in, meaning the required room change to one with a working safe (a safe was important for me) took a little time and re-packing; I thought this was all rather thoughtless by the reception staff and it wasn't a good start to my lengthy stay....

To give the best chance of a quiet stay I asked for a room away from the main road - however, with hindsight I think it was noisier there ! This was because my room was, for me, oppressively hot (not helped by heat-generation from the minibar !) which required the window to be left open, so allowing noise (AND cigarette odour) from the internal ground-floor area used by hotel staff to enter. This turned out to be a major problem for me, only solvable by sleeping with ear plugs (a room change was by then out of the question).

This significant problem originated from the lack of room ventilation as the hotel policy is to inhibit the air-conditioning 'during winter' (it could only provide warm air), which ignores the fact that not all customers will be happy with a warm room (warmed further by the minibar !) in a relatively mild winter PLUS it prevents ventilation ! Another example of a thoughtless attitude towards customers that I experienced....

The large double-bed was comfy, desk/wardrobe/suitcase space was fine and the modern flat-screen TV accepted AV inputs. Rooms don't include kettles nor any kind of comfy seating, so you have to do with the desk chair. The bathroom was well-furnished and of a decent size.

Breakfast was extremely plentiful with a varied selection of quality foodstuffs (inc smoked salmon !). There might only be scrambled eggs on service, but a polite request to the efficient and helpful dining staff can easily result in made-to-order fried eggs or an omelette !

So, all in all I enjoyed my stay in the TRYP Madrid Atocha and found it to be good value with an excellent breakfast, offering a superb location for the city attractions, handy nearby facilities and public transport access. HOWEVER, I did not find the room ventilation arrangement to be at all satisfactory, which required the use of ear plugs to prevent sleepless nights as the window had to be left open BUT that allowed cigarette odour to enter. Why hotel policy is to INHIBIT the ventilation/cooling system in winter baffles me; it shows a lack of appreciation for particular customer requirements, also demonstrated by the failure to highlight the lack of a working in-room safe (despite it being advertised !) when customers check-in. That would be proper 4-star service.....

Room Tip: One with a working ventilation and safe !
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank LPWilliams
Dear Mr. LPWilliams.

I Hope you enjoyed visiting Madrid and choose us again on future occasions.

Best Regards

sharjah
Reviewed December 29, 2013

One of the reasons for choosing the Tryp Madrid Atocha was its location and I was not disappointed .The location is ideal for visiting all the museums and the retiro park .I had read a review on tripadvisor that it was close to the Atocha station and walkable .Returning from Lisbon to Madrid ,we got down at Chamartin station ,caught the metro to the Atocha station and decided to walk to the Hotel .The hotel is not directly visible when you come out of the station ,that is because you have to walk up one of the streets ,mostly uphill about 800m to reach the place .With backpacks it was quite tiring .The easier option would have been to catch the metro blue line towards Chamartin ie if you get on at Atocha renfe station , the next stop is Atocha ,skip that and get down at Anton martin . I could have done that on my way down,instead of going all the way to Atocha Renfe stop , had I known .There is an exit from the Anton Martin station which comes out right in front of the hotel but unfortunately it has been closed for some maintenance.The other exit will take you further down the road but then it it is a downhill walk for a few metres and you will find the hotel on your left side.We stayed only for a day. The hotel was good ,and the staff pleasant .Didnt have any issues.I will recomend this place for a nice room , pleasant staff and excellent location .But I wouldnt advice trying to walk from the Atocha station with your bags unless you are in the mood for a good workout !!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kengatt
Dear kengatt

Thank you very much for your opinions.

We appreciate that you have chosen us in your visit to Madrid.

We work for matching the expectations of our customers in aspects you have mentioned; the treatment of the staff and all the services we provide are very important for us.

Best Regards

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2013

The hotel is located in a very convenient place within walking distance to most attractions in the city. Line 6 Metro just outside of the door. We had simple breakfast in some nice cafe shops near the hotel and it was good value for money. The service was excellent and the staff helped us on printing the boarding passes. The room was typical 4* and the hoel was very clean. The big downside for us is that there is no coffee making facility in the room. It is particularly important to us as we like hot drinks. The room was somehow a bit too hot for us even when we turned the heating off and it was in the winter time. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShuyuanLiu
Dear ShuyuanLiu

We are here for helping our customers with any problem they have, I am glad to hear that our treatment was appropiate and efficient. I am also pleasant to hear that you found the room clean and we are working to low the temperature on some of the hotel rooms.

I am sorry about the coffee machine facility in the room but we don't provide that service.

The location of the hotel is very convenience if you want to discover the downtown of madrid, is located about ten minutes from the Puerta del Sol , Plaza Mayor and the best museums in the city; Prado, Reina Sofía and Thyssen Bornemisza. Antón Martín metro station is the nearest to the hotel, just a few meters and corresponds to the metro line 1.

Thank you for your opinions and have a nice day

Best Regards.

lincs UK
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We liked the hotel - postion great. It is a short distance from Atocha station - where the airport bus runs to - look for the big "M" sign at the bottom of the road - if you have got good wheels on your case - it is an easy walk to the hotel - if somewhat uphill. Staff very pleasant & helpful

We asked for a quiet twin room, although it had not much of a view, that is exactly what we got. My only comment was the temperature of the "hot" water - at the best it was warm. Showers/ baths in that temperature are not much fun in late November.

Breakfast very good. Coffee or several types of tea, fruit juices (paricularly good the orange juice), fresh friut, yogurts, cheese, meats & various breads etc. Didn't try the cooked section.

Easy walking distance to the art gallerys (inc the Prado) and the Plaza Mayor

Lots of restaurants in the narrow roads behind the hotel - enjoy

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Director_TRYP_Atocha, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear kaw118

Thank you very much for your comments. As you tell, the position is perfect to visit the downtown, 10 minutes walking from the main touristic atractions, incluiding the museumm (prado, Thyssen and reina Sofia). We are very sorry about the hot water, due to an issue with the security boiler, the water was hot but not enough. We have solved the issue

Regarding the buffet breakfast, we try to mantein the brand standards and follow the way of presentation to get the best product on time.

Tryp Atocha
Portimao, Portugal
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights, everything was perfect, the rooms are nice and clean, beds comfortable, and the location of the hotel very good - there are loads of bars and restaurants around, and there is metro station practically outside the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KRD77
Director_TRYP_Atocha, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear KRD77

Thank you very much for your comments. We are very pleased to hear that everything was perfect. I will congratulate the team for that, thank you . This is something special when you find a client that tells the only goal for us, client satisfaction ¡¡¡

Please next time when you come back to Madrid, let us know to take care of you

Tryp Atocha