“Terrible”

Ranked #175 of 411 Specialty Lodging in Madrid
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

This hostel is just the worst I have ever been. I can say that the location is the only good thing, because all the rest is just terrible. The room I stayed was the n°1, it was in front of the reception, all the noise, all the time, absolutely no privacity.The toilets and showers are open, anyone can go inside while you are there. The kithen is poor, dirty and the breakfast is terrible. The staff is not friendly, when we sad that someone tried to open our room the man just sad that he didn't see anything, and the door is in front of the reception as I have already mentioned.
So, you you want to have a terriblw stay you should stay here. If not dont't go to this hostel.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Guilherme N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Providence, Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Hostel Meeting Point is a dirty, disgusting hostel. The atmosphere is somewhere between a men's prison and a bus station.

The walls of the room are paper-thin, so when people are partying in the common room all night - which they do, often joined by the hostel staff - it is nearly impossible to sleep. My traveling companion and I were forced to stay in an eight-bed dorm after the hostel lost our reservation for a private room. The lockers were too small for our luggage, the beds were thin, squeaky, and smelly, and the pillows were like sleeping on a pile of old t-shirts.

There are few toilet and shower facilities. They offer little privacy (not all have locks) and are separated by gender, if you choose to recognize Sponge Bob and Hello Kitty as universal signs for men's room's/women's rooms. The lack of locks may not be surprising given that I walked past the owner of the hostel urinating with the doors open.

The dishes in the kitchen appear to have just been rinsed, rather than cleaned, and when I stayed, the sink was clogged and the garbage was overflowing. This wasn't too surprising, though, as the general grime of the hostel might make some people reluctant to use the smelly rag left at the sink for cleaning dishes. There was no paper towel or any other sort of cleanser available either.

The one thing this hostel has going for it is that it is well located, a fact that perhaps explains the packs of stray dogs that linger near the entrance during the day eating garbage. It also may be one of Madrid's hidden shopping gems, as a small display case adjacent to the common room seems to be stocked with purses left by previous guests, all for sale.

All of which is to say, maybe try finding out where those stray dogs sleep? It can't be worse.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the common room. You can hear every person get buzzed in at the front door.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Daniel P

Travelers are raving about these Madrid hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

The worst hostel that I have ever been, bad staff. I booked a room for 4 girls and when i got there after waiting for more than one hour the girl of the reception told me that the room i booked wasn't avaiable, they only had one for 8 girls. With this I can say too that they aren't organized.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fernanda L
Lanjaron, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

The hostel is just great!!Nice atitude AWESOME people and good vibes!!Me and my boyfrined stay for one night there and it was exactly what we needed!The staff is very very helpfull and the location is realy great.
Thank u very much for the help and the good vibes thet u recived us with!
Sepecial thank u to Seakay ;)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Little Falls, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed at the Meeting Point Hostel in Madrid for one night. I had a 20-hour stopover in Madrid, so a friend in London advised that this hostel would be a good one for a quick stay in a good tourist area. Unfortunately, the hostel isn't so easy to find, since it's on a small back street with very little signage, and an almost secretive entrance door. You need to use a smart phone with GPS, be good at internet maps, or lucky enough to find some knowledgeable person earlier than the eighth person who finally helped me.
That being said, I must admit, its general location near Opera station and next to the Church of St. Francis and the Palacio Real is quite nice. It allowed me to fall asleep with the lights of the beautiful Church shining through the window.
As for the room ans service, I arrived late and was given a bag of clean towels and linens to make my own bed. The room, with enough room for two bunk beds and a set of 4 medium lock boxes was clean, but like the rest of the hostel everything is decorated/painted in a very dark fashion. The private bathroom was updated, but I had no time to find out if it had a good hot shower. Included in the price of the room is a self-serve breakfast which included cereal/bread with margarine/ jam, coffee and vacuum-packed milk and juice. The kitchen is very small and deep in the basement, The reception area that also served as common room for guests was "really" small compared to other hostels I have stayed in.
My "Surprise Greeting" came at check-in. I arrived at 9:30 PM. I was not happy to be told that I could either pay cash for my 20 Euro 4-bed girl's room or a minimum payment of 50 Euros using my credit card. No ifs, ands, or buts. This at 9:30 PM after I had traveled by air from London, took public transportation from the airport, and had gotten lost in the dark streets of Madrid for 30 minutes. I informed the clerk that when I booked the room the Terms & Conditions section on the Hostel's website did not include that detail. He didn't budge.
Since I was heading back to the US on the following day, I worked hard to scrounge up 20 Euros for the room, leaving me 10 Euros and small change for public transportation back to the airport the next day. The clerk was very clear. Without that cash payment, I would be paying an extra 30 Euros by card or be back out on the dark streets searching for an ATM. Two other guests at breakfast told me they had been unpleasantly surprised by this policy as well. The next day I strongly advised the manager to add their minimum credit card payment policy to the hostel website Terms & Conditions so this predicament does not befall other late-night, weary travelers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank I S
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed at Hostel Meeting Point in Madrid in October 2013.
The hostel was clean (bedrooms and bathrooms) and the beds were comfortable.
However, I was slightly disappointed with my stay.

The Hostel advertised itself as having two communal rooms which is not very accurate. The Hostel has a reception area with a sofa and a kitchen area with a table and a couple of chairs. Both areas are incredibly small and so when the Hostel was full it was impossible to get to the kitchen for breakfast or sit anywhere at all and be social.

In addition our room had obviously been double booked and after one morning we were told (not asked) to move rooms. This meant moving from the 10 bed room where we had made friends, to a four bed room. The people in the four bed room were really lovely but we did not speak the same language and therefore communication was difficult. It was also a pain to unmake and remake our beds – we had planned to go out that morning but the process ate into our day.
We were then told we could only stay in the second room for two nights and would then have to move back. There was no apology or compensation for this even though we made it very clear we were not happy with this move. The hostel make you pay up front so we felt that they had accepted our money knowing that we would not be getting the service we paid for.

Another thing that was misleading was that they said they would not accept card payments - although a sign on the wall said they would over 50 Euro.

Disorganisation, bad attitude and little to no social area had a negative effect on our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I think I must have asked the staff 3,000 questions over my three day stay. Not only did they answer all questions but they helped with suggestions on how to find different activities and modes of transportation. The whole staff made me feel very welcomed. I would recommend it to anyone. It's also an AMAZING location!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo