“Ok - but pity about the drink prices”
Review of Cafe Populart

Cafe Populart
Ranked #66 of 926 Nightlife in Madrid
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We went to see a group advertised as playing 20s and 20s jazz. They were quite good but the cafe is small and it is difficult to get a good place to sit unless you arrive well in advance. You could be stuck in a corner (as we were) which affects sound quality, or have to stand. Admission is free, so the groups who play here are more than likely not professionals - more like good amateurs, and as such of variable quality As with other reviewers, we found the price of drinks to be way higher than is usual in Madrid e.g. a small glass of wine (a copa) and a brandy cost €14 - more than twice the price of the same drinks in a small tapas bar we had been in earlier. However, if you get a good group to listen to and don't drink too much, it will probably be cheaper than paying an admission - which can be up to €15 per head in other places - and regular drink prices.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Located in calle Huerta. Bänd plays lovely tunes whit smile.
Showed that they still enjoy playing himself, and not doing it just for money.
Location does not have an entrance fee, but the drinks, then so much more expensive.
A good place to stop by even if just a couple of drinks ...

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went to listen to the latin jazz combo performing one evening. They were excellent. Populart is small, has very few tables and they do not charge a cover, so it gets packed with people stepping all over you. The service was horrendous - very rude and pushy. Forget asking for water as they will not serve it to you.

Don't recommend going - Cafe Central a couple of blocks away is a better jazz bar.

1  Thank habaneros
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife, son, and I visited during the month of August, and in Madrid August the city is very quiet as the residents flee the heat for holiday destinations. Although the city was quiet the little bar was quite packed. This was my first time inside so here are my comments.

There are a few things to know about Cafe Populart.

I walk past the bar fairly often and I see from the posters in the windows that the musical acts range across the jazz and blues spectrum – and from what I have heard the quality ranges fairly considerably as well. The night we went there was a blues group, and they were not too bad.

It should be noted that the bar does not charge for admission. It should therefore not be a big surprise that the drinks are more expensive than the surrounding bars. A small glass of draft beer was €5.50, but on the other hand a large bottle of weissbier was only €8. We can only guess that there is some sort of minimum price. We only stayed for the first set, and at the end of the night when I did the math I discovered that even though the prices were high, we spent less than we would have spent if prices were lower and we had to pay a reasonable cover charge. In short, the drinks are expensive but overall the costs are not unreasonable.

The venue is small so if you want a seat or to be able to see the band you will need to arrive earlier. We showed up about 35 minutes before the set was scheduled to start and we were given one of the small tables at the front. By the time the music started the place was completely crowded and the newcomers barely had room to stand. Since it was a small place the atmosphere was quite lively.

Although this is probably not a place I will take my tourist friends, I will quite likely go again.

Reviewed May 8, 2011

There was no cover charge, but it was 7 Euro for a weak pour of wine; beer prices were similar. I only saw one person order a cosmo - they handed the bartender a 20 and got coins back for change.

There are very few seats with a direct view of the stage, else you will be standing at the bar or sitting in a back room.

The night I went, the band was more like a mockery of show tunes trying to play jazz standards than a jazz band.

2  Thank withliberty