“Upsetting”

Ranked #69 of 770 things to do in Madrid
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A home to more than 2,000 animals, the zoo is one of the largest in the world.
Bristol, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Upsetting”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I love zoos, but not this one. There were so many people throwing food at the animals; bears, elephants, the only ones to escape this were behind glass. Not that it would be okay, but it wasn't just peanuts or natural thing it was all kinds of food and some litter, and not just children doing it, there were lots of adults. No staff to stop them, in fact apart from cleaners for the loos we didn't see and anyone after the entrance.

Some people climbed over a barrier to feed the camels and were teasing them. This was not a young man, but an older woman who encoraged young childrento do the same.

Maybe being English I am too much of an animal lover, but the food along with the banging on the glass, shouting at animals and using a flash where signs told you not to, just upset me.

In addition lots of people were smoking and drinking, which didn't seem appropriate.

The zoo lends out golf carts to help people get round, we saw one being driven by a group of young guys, all drinking, the driver had a pint in his hand and was stearing with the other. Golf carts don't pick up much speed, but enough to hurt one of the many children walking around on the same paths. Again, no staff.

On the plus side, there were lots of animals and it is well laid out.

I hate giving negative rewiews, hut I was upset by the treatment of the animals and people might want to give this a miss on their trip.

• Finnish first
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“A sad picture”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Last Thursday I visited the zoo aquarium with my 13 yr old daughter and my husband. She wanted so badly to visit the zoo because of the large variety and she wanted to see the pandas and the koalas for the first time. As previous visitors had mentioned, the habitat created for some of the animals are terrible. The monkeys are overcrowded. The himalayan bear and alaskan wolf are animals that live in colder climates and these animals are under the terrible Madrid sun. (I cant imagine when Madrid get hotter.) But the saddest of all sights were of the eagles and buzzards chained to the ground under the sun without water or food. I wonder for how long. My daughter felt like crying. Also you could see the filthiest water pools for each animal. If the zoo administration is suffering because of the economical crisis, then it should give up some of the animals to any other zoos in other countries. Poor animals!!!

2 Thank Jalenis
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I took my family here based on the reviews here on tripadvisor and let me tell you, I don't know what those people were using as a standard. This is the worst zoo I have ever visited. Many of the animals looked sick and malnourished. For example, the elephant was so skinny you could see the vertebrae half way down the tail and her hip bones were sticking out. The 3 or so times that we saw her as we walked to and fro, she never moved from the corner she was standing on. She swayed her head back and forth the same way you see sick humans rock; it was a sorry site. The eagles and buzzards were chained to the ground with chains only about a meter long. A small spectacle bear also looked sickly. The grounds were woefully unkept with trash and weeds growing wild. Very few staff on duty. I could go on and on...Don't waste your money or your time.

The welfare of the animals was very sad.

1 Thank rodrigr2006
doncaster
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Well Kept zoo”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We visited the zoo in Madrid and I have to say I was impressed with the enclosures, they were well kept and the many animals in the zoo looked happy and healthy. The zoo has a fantastic shark tank which added and extra something not normally found in zoos. We stood and watched the turtles and sharks for ages. The entrance price seems quite high but once you are in the zoo their is lots to see, in fact we ended up staying for most of the day. Another highlight of the zoo are the pandas which were fascinating to watch. Great for animal lovers.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank holsmanDoncaster
Stockholm
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Worldclass zoo”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have seen many zoos around the world and this one only comes after sea world. Many animals such as the girafs had much more space and were more active than in other zoos. The dolpin show and the big tank with sharks were a nice extra that you normally do not see in zoos.

Visited May 2013