“Not worth the money”
Review of Sobrino de Botin

Sobrino de Botin
Ranked #89 of 837 things to do in Madrid
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Arrived in Madrid having been told this was a place to have a dining experience so during the day located the restaurant and booked a table for 2 at 8:00pm that same evening. When we arrived at 8:00pm we were greeted by a large queue. It felt like a queue to the sales. Seated on the 2nd floor we were given menus and the waiters wanted to take our order straight away. We sensed this was a "get them in, get them out restaurant" so ordered a glass of wine each and slowed the process down. I ordered the 2 house specialities - the soup with egg and cochinillo and was disappointed with both. The soup was bland and the cochinillo came with 3 potatoes - not very inspiring. As someone else has written only about 1/3 of the pig was edible and was ok but not worth the best part of ?25. Total bill for the evening was best part of ?100. I wouldn't recommend this unless you want to put a tick in the box and say you've dined at the oldest restaurant in the world.

1  Thank Warren F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,333)
All reviews
"roast suckling pig"
in 46 reviews
"oldest restaurant"
in 135 reviews
in 39 reviews
"garlic soup"
in 11 reviews
"guinness book of records"
in 10 reviews
in 19 reviews
in 21 reviews
in 36 reviews

Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Went last night, it was nothing special. It felt very rushed the waiter was trying to take our order the moment we sat down.
My husband had the pork, it was lots of skin and bone. I had the lamb, over cooked and dry. No vegetables at all, only potatoes. Everything was extra, even butter. Would never go again.

1  Thank janwarry
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We went to Botin for two reasons: the cochinillo and for its distinction as world's oldest restaurant according to Guiness World Book fo Records. The place is not cheap, but not unreasonably expensive as well. The service is good and food is tasty. I ordered cochinillo and my son got roast chicken. We got a table (reserving a day before) at 9:30pm. For us, that is very late. We managed to eat before that Botin dining experience so we did not get any starter nor dessert anymore. Nevertheless, the suckling pig was delicious, with crispy skin. If you don't want to eat the bread and butter, say so in the beginning. I enjoyed my sangria, too.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We used tripadvisor to plan where we ate in our short break to madrid. We managed to book (essential if you don't want to queue outside on a busy Saturday night).

The restaurant is famed for being the oldest in the world, and is quirky and full of character.

The decor is traditional madrid with ceramic tiles in each room, and a random assortment of photos, artwork, frescos that you'd expect.

We were shown to our table on the 3rd floor, and wven though it was 8pm , it was busy. The clientele I would say was mainly locals, and aged from 40 upwards, the place was brimming with atmosphere and the waiters looked the part in their tuxedos.

For starters we had red peppers and anchovies (22€) we also ordered mixed vegetables (11€) and I went for their 'signature dish' of roast suckling pig (24€) (you can see them lined up in the kitchen as you head upstairs -see photo!) and my better half has fillet mignon (the house special) (26€). Bread was extra (approx 3€ each- if you want butter it was an extra €2 each!)

We ordered a bottle of house red (but white turned up), and some water. The waiters were sloppy, and rushed.. They sloshed water into our glasses and in the process spilt a fair amount over the table.

The starter was nice, but in my opinion very overpriced for what it was, and the vegetables appeared with the starter, (artichokes, potatoes, carrots) cooked in herbs and olive oil, they were really tasty!

The mains arrived and i whilst I wasn't expecting a whole suckling pig, the portions to b honest could have been bigger, and I'm not sure which piece of the animal I had, but it was mainly fat, skin and bone... I reckon only a 1/3rd by weight was edible, it was however succulent and the taste of pork was complimented by the smokiness from the smoking process in the skin,but it didn't really penetrate the rest of the meat! Overall it was a disappointment for me, I normally follow instinct and choose something that I know I'd like rather than taking the risk.... So be warned!

My other halve had the fillet mignon, which by contrast was excellent value for money, it was a decent size chunk of fillet with mushrooms in a Madeira sauce (I think!!), cooked exactly as she'd asked for, it came with no vegetables though!

The waiting staff weren't that attentive, they took no care in pouring our drinks and even got the wine order wrong... We skipped desserts and settled the bill, which came to 110€ before service charge.

So all in all a bit of a disappointment, the place doesn't live up to the hype, but is clearly popular with the locals. If i had chosen the steak and the service had been a bit less rushed, and more accurate, this would have had a 'good'

The pricing I think was high, for what it was, and whilst the total bill wasn't eye wateringly expensive, I would expect more for that amount of money.