“Adventurous and extensive menu - two thumbs up!”
Review of Alcaravea

Alcaravea
Ranked #322 of 11,439 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were reaching a point in our vacation where we were discovering that most eateries in Spain tend to be conservative in their range and way of cooking - each restaurant was very "safe" in their choices and as a result, the variety tends to be limited.

Alcaravea was different from the moment you open the menu - salads alone took up an entire page. And many of the cooking styles and ingredients used were different. We had no idea what to order really but was given recommendations by their servers and yes, we totally agree with the reviews here - this place is a two thumbs up!

We went twice in our our 5 day stay in Madrid. The absolute best dish we had there was the Cod Fish. Absolutely superb.

We also found out that their seafood comes in on Thursdays, so if you are able to head there towards the end of the week - that's probably when the menu is at its most extensive and at its freshest.

We didn't make reservations so we turned up at 7 pm (the kitchen opens at 8 pm) and managed to get some outdoor seats. For their indoor seats, reservations are a requirement. HIghly recommended.

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

1) I don't need to talk about the food, come and taste them and decide yourself. You'll not regret it!

2) If you are like me and doesn't know any spanish, ask for Cesar (the waiter, very friendly). You don't need the menu, let Cesar recommend it. You'll not regret it!

3) It looks like it's in a residential area, how TripAdvisor troopers found it in the first place is beyond me. Lucky I followed TripAdvisor recommendation (ranked #2 out of 4200 eateries). I LOVE IT!

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

So it's my first time in Madrid and while I haven't been happy with the quality of much of the food I did find quite a few spots that cook food to perfection.

Alaravea was one of those. A staff that is highly friendly and entertaining, highly familiar with their dishes and know how to recommend the right food and the right portions for you to eat.

Unlike most places where people are sitting around talking... Here you will find people mostly eating, smiling and enjoying.

I had the monk fish which he advised was a very large portion and needn't be shared with further dishes. He fried half for me and grilled the other half to perfection with garlic paprika and aioli.

The bread served on arrival is delicious.

1  Thank Ahmed A
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My colleagues and I were looking for Spanish cousine in a cosy place. The server made really good recommendations on what to order. We took 3 starters (zucchini blossoms were great) and were told to take half portions of main dishes. For 3 women that was more than enough. At 9.30pm the place was overcrowded, luckily we had a reservation before so we left very satisfied and I'd love to come back there once again.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We visited in May for dinner. The atmosphere of the restaurant was great, very authentic Spanish... The decor was also very Spanish and nice. There was a nice buzz about the place. Great choice of nibbles and variety of drink at bar...
The food.... One word, AMAZING! Simply the best tapas I ever had, quality of food was superb and the quantity was very impressive the dishes were very big. We ordered 3 dishes which would have feed probably 4 people... We had fish platter, Spanish omlete, and pork dish... All superb... Would recommend the pork!!
Service.... 5/5 the staff were attentive and very useful and helpful. They happily recommended dishes to us which was superb. Overall a great experience...

I would reccomend to anyone and would visit again...

Hope it helps