“Good Quality for a low price”
Review of Hostal Odesa

Hostal Odesa
Ranked #76 of 277 Madrid B&B and Inns
marcus760
“Good Quality for a low price”
Reviewed August 6, 2007

It is a really nice hotel, i've been with my boyfriend last june and definitely i will come back. Very clean and it is completly new. It is placed in the middle of Chueca, next to shops and all the nightlife. I recommend it to everybody

• Liked — It was so clean
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York, New York
Reviewed July 1, 2007

Basically, I had the same awful experience at the Odesa as all below. I would NEVER stay there again!!!! I had the lectures from the overbearing women upon check-in and was forced to obey the obnoxious rules about guests. Also, the rooms really aren't that great, and as another reviewer said, the staff won't let you see the room before you pay. Weird right?!?! I found out later that the Odesa is owned by the same people that own the horrible Hostal Sonsoles (see my review--another place to avoid!!!) There are so many nice hostals in Chueca that I don't know how these two stay in business!

• Liked — Room is clean.
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael K
aussie
Reviewed March 1, 2007

I am a gay man from australia and this hostal was recommended to em as it was suppose to be a gay friendly place.
I soon realised it was not a gay friendly place only that they like to take money from the gay community and put it into there pockets.
I booked a double room where i was paying full price for it and if i was to take someone back there they expected an extra 13 euros for the person.
I asked them to show me where it states that this is the policy of the hostal and they had nothing to give me. I also asked for reciepts and they refused to give me this as well.
They then told me i had to leave and when i asked for my money back they refused to do this so i called the police who were very good about it and helped me get my money back from this monster of a women owner.
I can tell you about my experience and you can take what i have written into text but it is you who would need to make up your own decision if you wish to be treated the same way.

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank wombatdave
Stockholm,Sweden
Reviewed September 25, 2006

My friends and I stayed at the Odesa for 2 nights. We hade a great time!! We had the 2 bedroom apartment which was brand new! the standard was great and also quality of bathroom. We would love to go back! Madrid is also bby the way one of the nicest cities in Europe.....

• Liked — Location and price....
  • Disliked — -
  • Tips/Secrets — This is located in a GAY area, but everyone could enjoy this location for nightlife and restaurants.
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 10, 2005

Before I booked my room here a read a previous reviewers' comments regarding the rigid rules at this hotel. I cannot report that I was lectured on arrival but I can certainly agree that this is not a 'gay hotel' like ones I have stayed in before.

I booked a single room here for a reasonably long stay of over a week and was forced to pay the entire bill on check in. I did not appreciate this especially as there was no offer to view the room first.

I tried to bring a male guest back one day but was met with resistance by the hotel staff who asked that he wait for me in the lobby. In fact it was the middle of the day and the guy was not a date just a friend curious to have a look at what my 'gay hotel' was like!!

What is the point of a gay hotel where a gay man is not welcome to bring back a guest, date or otherwise? All this might sound slightly sordid but you may as well stay in any hotel as you will feel just as comfortable being gay anywhere in Madrid as you will here.

On the plus side the hotel was very cheap, very clean and very, very well located for the gay area. In fact the staff despite their 'no guests' and 'pay up front' policies were friendly people, if you stay on the right side of them!

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed January 27, 2005

We stayed at the Hostal Odesa in one of their apartments in December 2004 (Apartamentos Odesa). They have both regular hostal rooms and individual apartments in several buildings within a block of Hortaleza, 38. This is the second time I stayed here. In 2003 I decided to stay here because the apartments they have include a washing machine, which I thought would be really convenient while travelling. The apartment I had last year was very simple, but clean, in a good location right in Chueca, it was inexpensive, and everything worked (although I could not figure out how to adjust the heat and the bed was uncomfortable). I decided to return because having the washing machine really was nice.

My experience this time, however, was really negative. I had reserved an apartment with a double bed for the two of us. I wrote an email to confirm my reservation and I received an answer back saying that the bed would be a double bed. Upon arrival, I was given an apartment with two twin beds. I showed them the copy I brought along of the email correspondence, and it didn't matter to them in the least. There was nothing they could do, and there were no other apartments available. I know the culture is different in Spain, but there was no apology and no sense of responsibility at all, only an excuse that the person who wrote the email made a mistake. I decided to stay as this was easier than trying to find another place late at night.

The next day we wanted a couple of extra clean towels, as we had to use one of ours to mop up water that leaked from the shower onto the floor. I phoned the office and was told that the housekeeper would leave another set of towels for me as requested. When I returned to the apartment the housekeeper was there. I was told that under no circumstances would she leave any extra towels. The rule is two towels per room, period. Taken aback, I called the office to complain. The manager arrived, and again, I was struck by how rigid, unaccomodating, and unfriendly the service was. I have never experienced this kind of rude and rigid treatment in any hotel or hostal anywhere. Unprecedented.

My recommendation: There are many other inexpensive hostals in Chueca and in nearby neighborhoods, and there is a laundromat right on Calle Hortaleza called Onda Blu to do laundry. The money you might save by staying here is not worth the discourteous treatment by the management and housekeeping staff. I will look for a friendlier place next time.

• Stayed December 2004
20 Thank Daniel K
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 10, 2004

Not the best gay-friendly hostal in Chueca, despite their heavy advertising.

In most rooms, bathrooms are separate from bedrooms, shared with the rest of the wing, which is a major inconvenience.

The welcome is unpleasant for males, as the female staff lectures you upon arrival, threatening to charge you extra if you don´t check out on time, if you bring uninvited guests to your room, if you make too much noise, etc.

Female couples may find this place pleasant, but males will find the nearby Hostal Hispa Domus on Calle de San Bartolome much more welcoming. The rooms are nicer anyway, without all the hassle and rules.

9 Thank groovedigger