“Lively and great for nightlife”

La Posada del Dragon
Ranked #61 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
“Lively and great for nightlife”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at Posada Del Dragon. This hotel is located in the nightlife area of La Latina. The hotel is actually more like a bar/restaurant than a traditional hotel. The room we had was really nicely designed and impeccably clean. We ate at the restaurant which was great and also had a drink at the bar. My only issue was noise. We stayed over a weekend, and had a room on the first floor facing onto the street, which was very noisy until early morning. I suspect during the week it would be less so. There are rooms on higher floors and further towards the back of the hotel, and I suspect these would be less noisy so I'd recommend them if this might be an issue for you. The staff were friendly although they often appeared very busy and struggled to serve us as they were handling both the bar and the hotel reception. The location was great for all the sights and there is a convenient metro station nearby. If we had a quieter room I would have given this hotel 5 stars. I'd recommend it if you want a designer hotel in the heart of Madrid's nightlife and tapas district.

Room Tip: Get one towards the rear to avoid noise from Cava Baja
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ginger_Ninja_888
Posada B, Director of Sales at La Posada del Dragon, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Ginger
Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind words following your recent stay at La Posada del Dragón Hotel
I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and you liked the location and the rooms
Please do come and visit us again soon. I have also passed on your kind words to our great team.
Amparo Vano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Located in the heart of La Latina, the hotel is a short walk to the metro and Plaza Mayor. Walk outside and you are on Cava Baja, where you can find many a tapas bar to eat, drink and mingle with locals. The hotel also has an excellent restaurant which can get very busy. Never fear, the rooms are very well sound-proofed and we didn't have any problems sleeping. The rooms are smallish, but utilise the space very well. They are also very modern. Rooms contain all the essentials: safe, hairdryer, perfect Wi-Fi & a wonderful shower. However, no tea & coffee available in rooms. The highlight is the breakfast: fresh croissants & pastries, fruit, the best natural yoghurt I've ever tasted, juice, breads, cold meats, patata omelette & fresh coffee. The staff are helpful & accommodating without being overbearing. Nicolas, was particularly helpful when checking in & out. The hotel is also very reasonably priced.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at La Posada del Dragon Hotel.
I was delighted that you enjoyed all the smaller details we take pride in offering our guests. As I always do I have passed on your lovely words to my team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.
We hope to see you soon !!!
My kindest regards,
Amparo Vaño
Hermosa Beach
Reviewed October 10, 2013

All in all an interesting stay but I couldn’t help feel the restaurants/bar are really the staff’s focus and the hotel rooms sort of an afterthought. Posada del Dragon also suffers somewhat from putting style before function.

Posada del Dragon, like it’s next door twin, Posada del Leon de Oro are both boutique hotels/ restaurants located in the middle of the action of Cava Baja in the La Latina neighborhood. The hotel is surrounded by many great places to eat which can be found near the top of the rankings here on Tripadvisor. The hotel is also very close to the Royal Palace, Plaza Mayor, Plaza Sol, Mercado San Miguel and several metro stations.

I arrived at 4pm and walked in looking for but not finding the hotel reception. It turns out that the hotel reception is 2 feet of counter at the end of the tapas bar. A member of staff greeted me after a couple of minutes and checked me in quickly. She then offered me a free welcome beer while my room was cleaned. I would up having a very good lunch from the kitchen of La Antonita in the tiny courtyard shared by the restaurant and hotel.

My room, with green astroturf on the floor and walls was typical of European singles; about 8’x10’ for the bed chamber with a tiny desk and not quite enough room for me to leave my medium suitcase out. I was able to squeeze my suitcase under the bed.

There was a safe box large enough for my 15” Macbook and a large DSLR; unfortunately the safe box wasn’t actually attached to anything! It just sat on a cheap cabinet that contained a mini fridge that didn’t work containing warm drinks for sale. There was no actual closet, just a clothes rod above.

The bathroom was very stylish with dark tile and lots of glass walls. The problem was that it was not possible to take a shower without water leaking under the door onto the small bathroom floor.

The room and bathroom fixtures were all relatively new and shiny although close inspection will find some cleaning opportunities along the edges. During my 4 night stay housekeeping seemed limited to changing out the towels, making the bed and taking the out the trash. The bed itself was equipped with a memory foam mattress and was very comfortable.

Considering the price and great location I would say Posada de Dragon is a good deal but I think I would try a different place the next time I’m in town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank VisuallyOriented
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I booked this hotel for my husband's 40th birthday and we drove from Alicante (where we have a holiday home) for a nights stay in the Posada del Dragon.
Our welcome was very friendly and the staff spoke good English. Our room was very clean and quirky - each room is individually designed so look out for some arty features! The bed was large and extremely comfortable (memory foam including memory foam pillow) a lovely nights sleep. The shower was amazing! I literally didn't want to get out!
The location is perfect for exploring Plaza Major (which takes all of two minutes to walk to) and we happily walked to the Kings Palace (probably about 20 minutes).
We were going to eat out at one of the hundreds of tapas restaurants in the area but were so tempted by the tapas restaurant in the hotel (which is in an open air courtyard in the middle of the hotel) and am very pleased we did that - the tapas was lovely (much better than that which we tried earlier in the Plaza Major) and again the staff were brilliant.
Although we were only in Madrid for a very short space of time I could not have hoped for a more comfortable stay.

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony that overlooked the street - tiny balcony but lovely nonetheless
1 Thank Dominique B
Posada B, Director of Sales at La Posada del Dragon, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Dominique
Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind words following your recent stay at La Posada del Dragón.
I was so glad to read that you and your husband enjoyed your stay and his birthday with us.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

One of the coolest places I've stayed in...would definitely return (not necessarily with kids). It has loads of character--mixing its age with some funky contemporary styling. There were a few young guys running the front desk / bar / restaurant during the day. We were offered a free drink each on check in...and gladly obliged with mojitos. On the walk to our room one of them explained the history of the place--which is written into the interior court face of each floor. They advised us on things to do--even calling Las Tablas to make our reservation for Flamenco (which was good BTW) and offering to help with other places. The center of the hotel is open to the sky...but it's barely noticeable from the restaurant on the first floor below unless you look up because the center feels pretty enclosed.

The room itself was an off-beat but cool décor--antique folding doors to the balcony, a kooky textured paint job, antique style phone, and Ikea-like furnishings. It had more power outlets than many places I have visited in Europe...including 2 on each side of the bed. We had a tiny balcony overlooking a Spanish rooftop and a church tower as well as the people moving between restaurants and bars below. With only the shutters closed there was a constant aroma of awesome food. At night we found that the balcony doors did a good job of buffering the street noise...which we closed after some random singing and the trash trucks came about on the first night.

Only complaint was that the safe was not secured to anything...you literally could slide it off the shelf and carry it away (I know that would be conspicuous but usually they are bolted down). We did run out of hot water in the shower on the second day but it only happened once...good water pressure and heat otherwise.

We only ate here for lunch one day...which was very good. Restaurante Botin (the oldest restaurant in the world?) is right up the street and was a good eating experience I review separately.

Location is more than "near transportation" or some particular attraction. It is at the edge of both the La Latina tapas bar / restaurant corridor AND the old Centro quarter...an easy walk to Plaza Mayor. There is enough foot traffic below to feel energy but not crowded. Well lit and safe after dark. Multiple metro stops in several directions.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor with a street front balcony...on of the staff said was one of his favo...
1 Thank dred313
Posada B, Director of Sales at La Posada del Dragon, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Dred313

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your visit to the hotel.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests to ensure that their time with us is memorable and I am thrilled that their efforts were noticed. I was equally pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly and that they gave you suitable suggestions of what to do locally. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments are passed on to the team and that their service is duly rewarded.

We hope to welcome you back soon.
Please let us know directly next time you are coming to Madrid
Best regards
Elche, Spain
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during a weekend break in Madrid. The location is brilliant; right in the centre of Old Madrid in the same street as several local bars and restaurants, but also only minutes walk from Plaza Major, Royal Palace, Puerta del Sol etc.The rooms are very small very individually designed and the shower is one of the best I've ever had. There is not much room to store clothes but there is a safe and the hotel wifi easily reached the 2nd floor. We ate in the hotel restaurant on our first night and were not disappointed. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. I would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Posada B, Director of Sales at La Posada del Dragon, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Paul
We appreciate a lot your positive comments about your stay . Thanks for highlighting our central Location, and our staff , whom I have passed on your lovely words.

So glad you had a good stay and would like to see you again soon.

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Excellent hotel! Stayed here at the end of August for a very reasonable amount and couldn't have been happier with what we got. This hotel is in a perfect location on the Cava Baja, a lovely quaint street filled with bustling tapas bars, and within walking distance from most of Madrid's main attractions. Our room was a good size and was clean, well stocked and we loved the decor. We chose a balcony room due to the reviews and were really happy with it, the only downside was that it got slightly noisy at night, but if you close the shutters this shouldn't be a problem. The restaurant downstairs was also wonderful, served very good sangria and have a wide range of gin and tonics on offer (a massive positive for us!). Overall this hotel has a wonderful feel about it, is in a great location and very reasonable for the price you pay. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone staying in Madrid.

Room Tip: Choose a balcony room and if possible contact ahead of time to ask for one on the top floor for more...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Merry

We appreciate a lot your positive comments about La posada del Dragon.
Thanks for highlighting our central Location, comfortable rooms, good restaurant...