“SMALL BUT PERFECTLY FORMED.”

La Posada del Dragon
Ranked #61 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
London, England, United Kingdom
“SMALL BUT PERFECTLY FORMED.”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was travellinga lone with my 1 year old son and I loved this place. In the hip La Latina district of Madrid, this stay was a welcome respite from the blistering Spanish heat. Modern rooms nestled happily alongside cooling centuries old stonework and the courtyard lets the light into the narrow, bustling restaurant and cafe. What made this place extra special was a head chef who showed my curious son around the kitchen and a receptionist who happily warmed up and delivered a 3am bottle of baby milk to my room. An in-room meal of seared sea bass and squid-ink infused leeks was the cherry on the cake for this ultra-cool hotel. I had the beautiful, but windowless room on the ground floor and they happily moved me to an upper level floor on the second night. I'd recommend a balcony room.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room! Most of the others are windowless, even though they're all decorated lovely.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharmadean R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The room was nicely decorated, had a good view over the street. The hotel has a small tapas bar that is open in the afternoon and evening, nice for a convenient snack.
Breakfast was very good. I normally never feel like having breakfast in the hotel I stay, however here it was different. The breakfast was served in cozy surroundings and all was of good quality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ENielsen
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I chose this hotel on the basis of reviews on Late Rooms and wasn't disappointed. Staff are very natural and friendly, and even provided a glass of beer on arrival. Breakfast was 12 euro but looked so good I didn't go outside as planned. It was very good - excellent coffee and best hotel croissants I've ever had (including French hotels). Room was on the inner courtyard and small (as expected) but all was very nicely decorated. Just a bit stuffy but that may be because I didn't master the air con. And anyway it's an old building in a characterful part of town so if I'd wanted Novotel I could have gone somewhere else! Wi-fi is free too - and works quickly and properly - and there was a desk in the room so if you are on a business trip it will work too (and infinitely preferable to the aforementioned chain!)

Room Tip: Check with hotel where the room is - mine was on the inner courtyard and effectively had no windows...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew M
Dallas
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Clean hotel in good location. Located in a street full of tapas bars. Easy walk to Plaza Mayor and Sol area. Staff was helpful and assisted us as we had Real Madrid tickets shipped directly to the hotel. The lack of an actual "bathroom" could be problematic for non-couples.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank txWorldwide
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My first impression of the hotel was a great one. Before we even arrived, I sent the hotel an email and within 20 minutes had a response. I had read a review that there is a bar in the reception/check in area of the hotel. I would like to clarify that the check in desk is in a bar. It didn't matter to us at all, but it did make for finding the hotel the first time and bit tricky. This is a boutique hotel, the rooms are not large, but I've stayed in smaller. There isn't much space to unpack and keep luggage and unless you have a balcony room the windows don't open, so it can get hot. We had to prop the door open occasionally to cool the room off. It was not summer when we visited, so it was ok alternative. This hotel is in the best location. The entire street is lined with delicious tapas bars. All of the employees were terrific too. I definetly recommend this hotel. At the very least, La Latina is the area to stay in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brescia, Italia
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Very cozy boutique hotel! Rooms are cute and all decorated on different styles inspired by the main landmarks of the city. Excellent breakfast and the staff is very friendly and nice. Fantastic Neighborhood

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We booked through Late rooms and got a really cheap deal so we decided to treat ourselves and go for a superior room. The room was great, clean with very comfortable beds and a great shower . Madrid was freezing the whole time we were there but the room was warm and cosy. We arrived early but our room was ready and we were given an explanation of the hotel, how the floors reflected different times in Madrid's history - the guy was obviously proud of the hotel and it was good to know. Unfortunately the check out let down the hotel. We had confirmation of a check out time of 16.00 so packed up most of our belonging in the morning and went out for the day. When we returned at 15.20 we were greeted by shouting - why have you not checked out, you should have gone at 12.00. I explained that our check out time was 16.00 and I was told that it was not - that was only on request - check out is always 12.00. I wasn't going to continue arguing in the middle of reception in full view of everyone else so we just apologised and said we would go and get our stuff. When I checked my booking confirmation it clearly said 16.00. We packed up the remainder of out stuff and when back down to reception where I showed the receptionist my booking confirmation. The only thing she could say was that it was a mistake. I suggested she take that up with Late rooms. An apology would have been nice but this was not forthcoming and she couldn't get us out the door quickly enough - for that reason I am giving only 3stars. It is a shame that just one person let the hotel down as everyone else we encountered were delightful!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OAPBeachlovers
Luisspelaez, Director de Relaciones Públicas at La Posada del Dragon, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear OAPBeahlovers,

First of all, thank you very much for spending your time writting a review on Tripadvisor site.

We are glad because you had a good stay at the hotel, rooms are comfortable, shower is great and very warm though the time in Madrid was not very good as we expected.

We are not so glad for the misunderstanding we had at front desk on your last day when you came back to pick your stuff up regarding the check out time. So, we would like to apologize about it because what we did were not good enough.

We must tell you that we have updated all information in the Laterooms website.
The issue was the additional information was not updated and it contained a wrong description. That's the reason it was written a late check out at 16:00 hours included instead of at 12:00 hours. We have uploaded again the right information in order to next clients have all clear.

We are very sorry for your bad experience on your last day. As you know, we have different roomtypes, so we would like that you could stay with us again at the Posada del Dragón.

Finally, if you decide to come back to Madrid, we would be pleased if you could visit us and say hello.

Our very best regards from Posada del Dragón Team.